Floodlights....or Lack Of!

joekea

Being a bit bored with what was on offer on Saturday, I turned my attention to the floodlights as it was a bit gloomy all round.

I noticed that at least 15 of the lights were out on the two towers....as seen from the JHS.

Things must be bad financially when we can't replace blown bulbs!!

• Like 1

Talking of failing flood lights does anyone remember the night the stand roof flood lights failed during an AngloScottish tie versus Hearts at Firhill?

As I remember we scored twice late on to win 2-1 in the first leg and the second leg finished 1-1 so the gloomy goals proved the winners. Fortunately it was August so it was relatively light, but I imagine the game would have been abandoned had it been a more serious competition.

Talking of failing flood lights does anyone remember the night the stand roof flood lights failed during an AngloScottish tie versus Hearts at Firhill?

As I remember we scored twice late on to win 2-1 in the first leg and the second leg finished 1-1 so the gloomy goals proved the winners. Fortunately it was August so it was relatively light, but I imagine the game would have been abandoned had it been a more serious competition.

I only remember playing English teams in the Anglo Scottish: saw Bolton, Orient, Bristol City (and Mansfield I think)

Bolton was best cos we won the tie overall and Hansen scored the sublime only goal.

Orient memorable for Laurie Cunningham

Bristol cos we won then got pumped

Mansfield I can't remember at all

It's not the cost of the light bulbs. We'd need a bloody long ladder to get up there.

How many Firhill employees (past and present) does it take to change a lightbulb .......

Three: Jackie McNamara to price up the job; Maxi to make a plea to the fans to buy more half time draw tickets to fund the project; and a member of the ground staff to climb up the pylons and replace the dud bulbs.

Oh, and Jackie, post departure, to then claim bonus monies outstanding to him for the successful replacement of the dud bulbs.

• Like 1

I only remember playing English teams in the Anglo Scottish: saw Bolton, Orient, Bristol City (and Mansfield I think)

Bolton was best cos we won the tie overall and Hansen scored the sublime only goal.

Orient memorable for Laurie Cunningham

Bristol cos we won then got pumped

Mansfield I can't remember at all

you're right about the English teams we played, but I think we had to play a qualifier against another Scottish team before we played the English games

Every time the floodlights are mentioned I'm guessing it's not just me who thinks back to that awful meet the board night in 2007 just after the bunnet had been sacked.

The club was in an awful state, and as a result over double the expected numbers turned up.

I've never witnessed a more shambolic and incompetent performance from a board of directors in my life. I remember walking away that night thinking that it was only a matter of time before the club went to the wall. Had it not been for the Gary Harkins sale 2 years later we probably would have.

The highlight for me was when Kieron Dempsey asked why we kept making a loss every year, after which Tom Hughes revealed that we always BUDGETED for a loss. He then went on to say it was impossible not to do so and attempting to trade profitably would mean we couldn't put a team on the park.

Allan Cowan then went on a condescending rant about how much everything at the club cost, and that's where the light bulb comment came from.

"I mean, these bulbs for the floodlights cost about £260 each. So essentially, your season ticket pays for - a light bulb."

As you can imagine, everyone went away that night feeling energised and encouraged about the future of the club!

Every time the floodlights are mentioned I'm guessing it's not just me who thinks back to that awful meet the board night in 2007 just after the bunnet had been sacked.

The club was in an awful state, and as a result over double the expected numbers turned up.

I've never witnessed a more shambolic and incompetent performance from a board of directors in my life. I remember walking away that night thinking that it was only a matter of time before the club went to the wall. Had it not been for the Gary Harkins sale 2 years later we probably would have.

The highlight for me was when Kieron Dempsey asked why we kept making a loss every year, after which Tom Hughes revealed that we always BUDGETED for a loss. He then went on to say it was impossible not to do so and attempting to trade profitably would mean we couldn't put a team on the park.

Allan Cowan then went on a condescending rant about how much everything at the club cost, and that's where the light bulb comment came from.

"I mean, these bulbs for the floodlights cost about £260 each. So essentially, your season ticket pays for - a light bulb."

As you can imagine, everyone went away that night feeling energised and encouraged about the future of the club!

Those meet the manager/board nights were always a good laugh.

I think the one you're talking about Ian, was the same night my Dad lost it with them after sitting up the back of the Alan Rough Lounge, having to put up with not hearing anything as the only Mic the club owned was faulty. After about 20 minutes a question comes from the back and tom hughes makes some condescending comment about not being able to hear the question... Cue my Dad standing up and blasting him as we'd not heard a bloody thing they'd said, for 20 minutes! I can only imagine what Dougie Vipond was thinking, sitting beside me!

There was one in the McCall era, after years of bluster and spin, I finally got Allan Cowan to admit that, when the North Stand was two thirds built and we were at 10000 seats, we were a debt free club... It was extending the North Stand that put us back into debt.

It used to be the case that it was part of the club "constituition" that the hold 1 meet the board event per year. Can't remember the last one.

Went along to most of those meet the Board/Manager nights. McCall was always good value as when mildly pushed he more often than not gave away "trade secrets". That said his openness could well be described as a flaw in his management capabilities.

Thought the evening in the Alan Rough, when it was being recorded live by the BBC with Dougie Vipond at the helm, was verging on the surreal.

Not the first time that I have posted this link. It is quite impressive.

http://www.forestgre...ing-up-football

That is impressive.

Now that you've raised the dosh for shirt sponsorship maybe you could consider running the ' floodlight bulb replacement scheme'

15 bulbs at £260 =£3900. A mere bagatelle for a man of your calibrate BB!!

• Like 1

Whilst we're hovering around stadium maintenance issues, I see they've finally resolved the tatty flag disgrace......

By removing it!

Couldn't be bothered (or afford) to replace it though.

That is impressive.

Now that you've raised the dosh for shirt sponsorship maybe you could consider running the ' floodlight bulb replacement scheme'

15 bulbs at £260 =£3900. A mere bagatelle for a man of your calibrate BB!!

Or, BB could take the "from small acorns" approach, and resurrect the bulb display on the bing idea, as that would be a lower target. If target is exceeded, a few gnomes could be bought with the surplus dosh.