Will There Be Relegation This Season?

Auld Jag

Much has changed in Scottish football since the "Motherwell Rule" was last applied but it's still run by spineless dumplings. So, yes, I can see United not been allowed to be relegated. I think tho' we'd hear leaked rumours shortly if this is to be the case. United will be almost certainly be preparing for life in the Championship, unless maybe they win their last two games this month (against Killie then Us).

If Sevco don't win the league, I think it's a cert. Even if they do I am not sure whether the powers that be will want Hibs and Und in the second tier. If Und go on a run like County did last season and either ourselves or Hamilton or both go down, the powers in charge will have their dream Top 12 and there is no chance of reconstruction. Let me add, if we get relegated either way, I for one, would not want to stay up by the reconstruction method anyway.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

With Lindau on that. I'm 100% for league construction and a system where we only play each side home and away once. But that should be arranged for the start of season 17/18. Next season you could have the top 4 in the Championship promoted or maybe some sort of play offs involving the bottom side in the top league.

• Like 1

The trouble M'Lady is that once Sevco and Hibs are back, especially the former, you can guarantee all talk of reconstruction will be binned.The ideal scenario for the powers is Sevco and Hibs back and the likes of Hamilton and Thistle down

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

The trouble M'Lady is that once Sevco and Hibs are back, especially the former, you can guarantee all talk of reconstruction will be binned.The ideal scenario for the powers is Sevco and Hibs back and the likes of Hamilton and Thistle down

Too true, And what's an ideal scenario for "the powers" is far from an ideal scenario for the fans.

Putting aside my personal preference for a 14 club top flight: I'd guarantee that league reconstruction is predicated on whether or not Sevco win their League or not. Should they do so you can bet your bottom dollar that will be the end of such talk for ever and a dày. Should they receive their just reward and fail to do so, it is an equally certain bet that it will be the big topic in the media..

I've got to say that the smaller clubs like ours have really played a foolish hand by not pushing harder for re-construction when Sevco where more or less out of the picture, but what's done is done I suppose. But I hope you don't see hordes of 1st Division chairman on TVs and radio moaning, when to be fair the last few years have offered the perfect opportunity for change and nothing has resulted.

Instead we've had that snake oil salesman Doncaster coming out with rubbishy like tinkering about with the League Cup when what was needed IMHO was a 14 club top tier and summer football. In all honesty if I had the choice I'd keep the current set up so long as we had summer football-reason look out your window!

Edited by stillresigned

I like it the way it is now. particularly like the last 5 games post split. hope it does not change, we need to keep improving year on year. Having a larger league will take the edge of it mid to bottom of the table.

Do you believe that a system that will probably see us play only 13 different teams in 10 months is beneficial to either us supporters or the game as a whole. What is there to like about the post split that will see us up against teams we'll be playing for the fourth and in some cases fifth time?

Having a league of 16 clubs would not take the edge of mid to bottom any more the status quo. We'd be playing fewer league games (the slack taken up by a sectioned league cup). A club reaching relative safety in mid table would as likely arrive at that position after playing about the same percentage of games. Besides two up two down could be reintroduced and/or the third bottom club go into play offs.

Further to all that atmosphere should improve by tempting more away fans to travel, seeing as they'll only be likely to have the one opportunity to visit each ground. As stated elsewhere playing single home and away fixtures would revitalise the Scottish Cup. The chances of playing a team for the third time in the league one week only to meet the same team in the Cup the following week would be greatly reduced.

For those that say league size is immaterial as they only go to "watch the Jags" can I then assume they'd be just as happy with a league of eight playing each other six times each?

Teams like us and Accies are crashing the big boys party and we are not wanted.They want their big pals back and imo they will do anything to get that.Always remember and never forgive the second vote.Once they have the teams back in the top league that they want it would not surprise me if the play offs were stopped and it went back to one up one down

• Like 2

Think everyone needs to calm down with the conspiracy theories, a few people beginning to sound like hard done to OF fans on this thread.

United will be relegated if they finish bottom, of that there is no doubt.

There's not a chance in hell that they could rush through league reconstruction in time for next season now.

The SPFL clubs will naturally want the biggest teams in the top league - we aren't one of them, such is life. The longer we stay here and establish ourselves the more chance we have of progressing as a club and gradually growing in to a bigger club.

I mac I am very calm and also I am nothing like an OF fan.The things that have gone on over the years so that certain teams can be kept in the top league anything else that happened would not surprise me.Strachan said last year no matter what it takes all our big clubs should be in the top league by next season.

I think somethings afoot. Have never known us to offer 3 year contracts (though I must say delighted we are). If league reconstruction is imminent we can offer deals without or with limited risk of relegation. That & I do like a good conspiracy theory lol

We have never been debt free before, we have never (in the last 2 or 3 decades) had the financial security we have now, we have never in my lifetime who had a manager who was trying to build long term like Archie is, we haven't had a board who have publicly stated they will back and support the manager even if relegated.

This is why 3 year deals and pre-contracts are now coming to our club, not league reconstruction.

• Like 1

We have never been debt free before, we have never (in the last 2 or 3 decades) had the financial security we have now, we have never in my lifetime who had a manager who was trying to build long term like Archie is, we haven't had a board who have publicly stated they will back and support the manager even if relegated.

This is why 3 year deals and pre-contracts are now coming to our club, not league reconstruction.

I'm not totally sure I understand all that. All we were informed was the bank debt has been cleared. Presumably we are now £X better off from not having to service that debt. How do we know the £X is enough to finance contracts of three years? Further to that can we assume we can compete in the signing stakes with clubs we previously couldn't? For instance maybe for example Dundee can offer more in salary but we can offer say an extra year contract.

So tell me Auld Jag - what do you think they will do to keep United up this season, that they weren't able to do for Hearts and Hibs? They gave Hearts a 15 point deduction, one of our biggest clubs.

What has been done to keep "certain teams" in the top league?

What was done to get Sevco in to the top league last season?

If you are referring to our relegation in 03/04 - for god sake get over it! Move on! We weren't exactly in a fit state to continue in the top league anyway, seeing as the team we built for the SPL actually ended up taking us back in to the 2nd division.

Edited by ian_mac

Auld Jag, you sound exactly like a Celtic fan chatting about how the establishment has stopped them winning the 60 titles they deserve or whatever nonsense it is the most paranoid of them spout.

Or for that matter a Rangers fan getting in a state cause Willie Collum is an R.E. teacher and therefore "wan ae thum"

Give the conspiracy stuff a rest.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 1

So because my opinion differs from you I am like an of fan or paranoid.I would be surprised if there was many Thistle fans who did not get a very bad taste in the mouth whenever they think about the double vote fiasco.Teams were saved from relegation because of minimum seating and no ground sharing rules which was suddenly changed to relegate us and promote ICT.We now hear pundits and so called experts who not all that long ago were saying there Is not enough good teams to increase the top league,now saying the top league should be bigger.Also when the premier league booted Rangers out of there league they wanted them voted into the first div and not like what happened.If you think that everything that happens is for the good of Scottish football that is up to you,But I am equally entitled to have my opinion.

• Like 2