Ainsworth

Firhillista

Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a link to the Herald article about Ainsworth's reaction to the Lawless goal on Tuesday night. Apparently, it was the view of his manager and the 'experienced' players that his failure to cover Lawless had cost them the game. He was reduced to tears because it was made clear to him by his team mates and his manager that it was all down to him. Nothing to do with the team selection, tactics, on-field behaviour, inability to score or anything else. Just him. What a load of crap! Very convenient for McGhee and the other Motherwell players to blame one guy for their failings. I wouldn't normally give a toss about what happens at other clubs, but this is totally out of order. If I was a Motherwell fan this morning, I'd be calling for McGhee to go.

I'm pretty sure the Motherwell defender hoofing the ball back to us to attack again and then one making a complete hash of his header away are just as at fault as ainsworth for momentarily switching off.

And McGhee for making some bizarre tactical decisions and settling for the draw from what I heard on radio commentary.

When's ainsworth's contract up? I'd take him at Firhill if McGhee thinks he's so shite..

If anyone was at fault for the goal it was McManus with his 50p head clearance away, even then it was a deflection, it's not exactly Jordan McGhee for Hearts vs Aberdeen level of culpability.

I'd be disappointed in Archie if he flung someone under the bus like McGhee has done with Ainsworth by blaming him individually then sending him out to meet the press, seems very old school, sort of thing Lambie would have done 20 years ago. As Archie says himself, the game has changed so I'd like to think had something similar happened up the other end on Tuesday then we'd have dealt with it in the media differently.

Ainsworth was at fault for the goal and his manager isn't doing his job if he doesn't tell him that.

The fact that he is openly greeting in the press room is an embarrassment. Get a grip of yourself mate.

Not exactly captain material.

Don't they deliver milk of human kindness in Wyndford?

I think the term for what has happened to Ainsworth is ' hung out to dry' . If any of our bosses turned round and said 'see that bad performance? That's down to you.', and then the rest of the staff joined in and agreed, I think most of us would be looking up the number of an employment lawyer. It's called bullying, and however much McGhee may see it as a motivational technique, it's taken quite seriously by most employers these days. I dare say a lot of it goes on in football behind closed doors - masquerading as 'character building' but it's the 21st century and really this type of managemnt behaviour should have gone out the widow with running up sand dunes till you puke. Be interesting to see the spirit of 'togetherness' displayed by the Motherwell team against Inverness....

Ainsworth was at fault for the goal and his manager isn't doing his job if he doesn't tell him that.

The fact that he is openly greeting in the press room is an embarrassment. Get a grip of yourself mate.

Not exactly captain material.

Got to disagree Ian Mac , you don't hang players out to dry in public , think it's called man management and an experienced manager like McGhee should know better. It's a team game and you win and lose together , I'm sure Ainsworth has won many games with assists and goals .

The most recent example was Mourinho at Chelsea who publicly criticised his players with the outcome that the players downed tools and stopped playing for him, let's hope the same happens to McGhee.

Got to disagree Ian Mac , you don't hang players out to dry in public , think it's called man management and an experienced manager like McGhee should know better. It's a team game and you win and lose together , I'm sure Ainsworth has won many games with assists and goals .

The most recent example was Mourinho at Chelsea who publicly criticised his players with the outcome that the players downed tools and stopped playing for him, let's hope the same happens to McGhee.

I think the problem is McGhee's "management style", which apparently requires belief in his own infallibility. Thus when something goes wrong someone else will inevitably always be at fault. After all wasn't he telling us but for a bad turn of luck he could've been manager of Liverpool? Even if he is so obviously deluded he appears honest as witnessed by his "never a penalty" comment. Strange fella.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Got a lot of sympathy for Ainsworth. It was a lucky goal and 999 times out of a 1000 his lapse would have meant nada. McGee is a dick.

Makes Archie's gaff free tenure all the more impressive. Don't understand why he's never quoted for other jobs- the media don't rate him at all when he's been improving all the time as far as I can see.

Got a lot of sympathy for Ainsworth. It was a lucky goal and 999 times out of a 1000 his lapse would have meant nada. McGee is a dick. Makes Archie's gaff free tenure all the more impressive. Don't understand why he's never quoted for other jobs- the media don't rate him at all when he's been improving all the time as far as I can see.

It's good news for us if that continues. I think the reason is a mixture of things: we're a club that aren't quoted much; Archie has developed things slow and steadily - no outstanding results (just lots of good ones). I think if we had quickly gotten a top six place or got to a cup final Archie would probably be away by now. I suppose if he continues to be a good, steady manager, improving our team year on year, someone is bound to come in for him. Maybe teams so far that have needed a manager have seen him as a slow steady builder rather than someone who can give a quick fix.

• Like 1

I played hockey for around 35 years, coached teams as well as being captain on numerous occasions. Hanging an individual out out to dry for a defeat does absolutely nothing for the players confidence or ability. Team spirit can be completely destroyed with players waiting to see who the next target will be.

Any player making a mistake that costs a goal or a match by their mistake should feel bad enough themselves without being hung out to dry, if the mistake does not bother them then the manager should consider whether to select him in the future.

The easy option for any manager is to pick a scapegoat for a defeat rather than look at the total performance.

I played hockey for around 35 years, coached teams as well as being captain on numerous occasions. Hanging an individual out out to dry for a defeat does absolutely nothing for the players confidence or ability. Team spirit can be completely destroyed with players waiting to see who the next target will be.

Any player making a mistake that costs a goal or a match by their mistake should feel bad enough themselves without being hung out to dry, if the mistake does not bother them then the manager should consider whether to select him in the future.

The easy option for any manager is to pick a scapegoat for a defeat rather than look at the total performance.

Wise words.

You should run a training course for managers!

Couldn't agree more.

In this instance tho' it's a manager who seems to believe that a cruel twist of fate deprived him of the Liverpool job. Motherwell are clearly privileged to have such a quality coach/manager. He's ultimately responsible for the total performance and as he's so ahead of the game then if/when something goes wrong it must be down to individual error. He's also such an honest chappie he has to tell it like it is and, as he's never to blame, he has to speak the truth and blame a player.

thought I'd get all the sarcasm out my system early this weekend :)