Hearts Game

Lionel J. Botch

P 2

L 2

F 0

A 7

..............................and people at the club are suggesting 3-5-1-1, presumably as damage limitation?

As a veteran who survived the Auld campaigns I fondly remember a dreadful, ground out 1-0 win at Tynecastle (Alex O'Hara) many moons ago - OK in those days Hearts were rank rotten - but one attack, one goal, two points was hugely enjoyable.

Times have perhaps moved on and cannot see any liklihood of similar on Saturday. In many ways (and only my view) at least trying to attack sometimes, and getting beaten 2 or 3 or even 4 might be preferable to a 1-0 defeat in a game of attack against defence.

• Like 1

I know it's been talked to death on here but we played with 2 up front at Tannadice. The problem this Saturday could be the same as the week before and that's the lack of supply to the two front men. We need two wingbacks and the advanced midfielder directly behind Doolan and whoever partners him to provide that supply. Last week only one, Booth, was in any way productive.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Pathetic talk.

2 defeats in 10 league games and Thistle fans still writing off their own team, against the team that is third in the league?!

Thistle need to approach this like every other game, play to their strengths. We might win, we might lose. Tough game but I sure as hell hope the players don't think like some of the fans.

• Like 3

Pathetic talk.

2 defeats in 10 league games and Thistle fans still writing off their own team, against the team that is third in the league?!

Thistle need to approach this like every other game, play to their strengths. We might win, we might lose. Tough game but I sure as hell hope the players don't think like some of the fans.

Reached my positive quota for the day apparently, so I will just say: spot on Allyo.

Some posts in here appear to be terrified about playing Hearts tomorrow more so than playing Aberdeen at pittodre or Celtic at the unused washroom.

Its only Hearts we are playing, there is nothing to fear - Dundee & Kilmarnock have both drawn there and they drew at tynecastle against a Championship team on Saturday (not even the one at the top).

There is nothing to fear. 1-0 Thistle.

Some posts in here appear to be terrified about playing Hearts tomorrow more so than playing Aberdeen at pittodre or Celtic at the unused washroom.

Its only Hearts we are playing, there is nothing to fear - Dundee & Kilmarnock have both drawn there and they drew at tynecastle against a Championship team on Saturday (not even the one at the top).

There is nothing to fear. 1-0 Thistle.

I applaud your optimism but have you forgotten our pathetic performances against them this season? Add to the mix there is a chance we might go more or less 8-1-1 against them.

Why should they bother putting in a performance?

Theres a few reasons but I would say first and foremost its there job.

Anyway I agree that the best defence is offence. Take the game to them. We have a full squad with the exception of wee mustapha. We shouldn't be going there with any fear, we have a decent amount of quality in our team to cause them problems. Like last week, we need to forget aboot worrying aboot the opposition an let the opposition worry aboot us.

• Like 1

Some of the stuff in this thread and elsewhere is ridiculous.

Yes, we may well lose tomorrow. Hearts are a much bigger club than us, have much more money, and much better players, so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if they do. Doesn't mean we are pathetic. Doesn't mean the manager is clueless. Doesn't mean we should chuck it before a ball has even been kicked. I do wonder what planet some people live on sometimes.

Edited by JesusTejero
  • Like 2

I think the negative feeling towards this game is down to the fact that they've rolled over us twice already this season...we were gash in both games, so understandable. The team seems defeated before they walk onto the park when they play this hearts team or whenever we play celtic...except for the Jan game at parkhead when we had a go...

so only chance we have tomorrow is to forget who we are playing and get steamin in, play at a high intensity from the off, make it hard for them, defend well and create some openings and take our chances...not walk on the park with the wrong attitude otherwise we will get stuffed.

• Like 1

After two games we are currently losing 7-0 and barley had a shot on goal, so forgive me for not having as much unfounded confidence as others. Try having a realist mentality, then you will see where i'm coming from.

I'm an optimist and hope Thistle win every game - which means a lot of disappointment. But If you don't have that mentality why bother?

so only chance we have tomorrow is to forget who we are playing and get steamin in, play at a high intensity from the off, make it hard for them, defend well and create some openings and take our chances...not walk on the park with the wrong attitude otherwise we will get stuffed.

Nit picking, WJ, but I definitely don't accept that playing at a high intensity is our only chance. We could for instance try to absorb all Hearts can throw at us and hit them with a sucker punch. In fact I'm not that sure that playing with three central defenders leans towards an in your face type of game. i say nit picking as I kinda share your opinion re being more aggressive, certainly in relation to last week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Archie has taken his gospel from our 11 away games that exclude our last visit to Tynecastle. That's 10 goals for against 8 goals against and only 4 defeats. That form is very impressive and I'd suggest it was achieved by striking a balance between playing a high intensity game and being too defensive.

Craig Paterson, who was the Sportsound co-commentator for the Ross County v Hearts game on Wednesday made an interesting point...which was remarkable in itself. He pointed out that Hearts had conceded the second lowest number of goals away from home in the League this season...and that the only team which had conceded fewer was Partick Thistle. You then heard the usually composed Richard Gordon, who has an astonishing grasp of statistics, gasping "What??"

It's an impressive record and not one I was aware of but it does make me wonder why we needed to change to a more defensive formation for the Cup Game last week. However, given our record against Hearts this season, I can see there might be an argument for changing our system for this match. Liam Lindsay, who I have great hopes that he will develop into a very good player, had a terrible game against them at Firhill and Big Freddie seemed to struggle at Tynecastle.

We might therefore have to alter our usual formation but that is no reason for the players or the fans to adopt a negative and fearful attitude. The game at Firhill was pretty level until we lost a soft goal just before half time and the match stats showed we actually had more possession and corners...but the shots of 1 v 12 tells its own story.

Edited by Winter of '63

Nit picking, WJ, but I definitely don't accept that playing at a high intensity is our only chance. We could for instance try to absorb all Hearts can throw at us and hit them with a sucker punch.

The High pressing game with Hearts at Firhill caused us defeat.We went all out chasing and pressing them for thirty five minutes, lost a goa,l and then looked shattered for the rest of the game. That pattern was repeated in quite a a few games before we started to let teams play a bit more in front of us and choosing the moment to press rather than going all out for it. That was when we went on our good mini run..Patience tomorrow and breaking quickly but we must get the midfield into their box and score to get anything out of this.