Hearts Game

Lionel J. Botch

Nit picking, WJ, but I definitely don't accept that playing at a high intensity is our only chance. We could for instance try to absorb all Hearts can throw at us and hit them with a sucker punch. In fact I'm not that sure that playing with three central defenders leans towards an in your face type of game. i say nit picking as I kinda share your opinion re being more aggressive, certainly in relation to last week.

It wouldn't surprise me if Archie has taken his gospel from our 11 away games that exclude our last visit to Tynecastle. That's 10 goals for against 8 goals against and only 4 defeats. That form is very impressive and I'd suggest it was achieved by striking a balance between playing a high intensity game and being too defensive.

Clearly not only way to win but with Hearts you need to compete from the start and earn the right to have the ball and create chances...if you don't they will bully you, get a lead then start to pick passes around you. Definitely need to get in their faces and compete regardless of how you set up...and definitely from the off as they start games at pace.

Anyways they were clearly running scared as that game should never have been off!! I live close to tynecastle and the overnight rain/sleet and snow that came on around 12 shouldn't have stopped a game - their pitch must be poor drainage wise.

• 3 weeks later...

No reason to fear hearts. Their lead over thistle was built up over the first nine games. In the last five months they've only taken 3 points more than us, having played a game more. We should be a match for them.

Similar applies to Aberdeen

No reason to fear hearts. Their lead over thistle was built up over the first nine games. In the last five months they've only taken 3 points more than us, having played a game more. We should be a match for them.

Similar applies to Aberdeen

It's actually incredible to the think where we could have been, if we hadn't be torn apart by injuries and suspensions up to October.

Edited by potty trained

I am not usually one to be concerned too much about who plays against us. But Callum Paterson being out through injury should be a huge help to us as he seems to bring so much to their game , especially against us, whether at the back or in attack or running down the sides or through the middle. I was going to assign Christie Elliot to match his runs forward!

If Stevie Lawless is out then Ryan Edwards looks like the natural replacement for today. Aidan Nesbitt might have been the other candidate, but given his mixed experiences so far, I would tend to focus him on the Aberdeen game where he will be keen to do well so as to help and impress his parent club.

P 2

L 2

F 0

A 7

..............................and people at the club are suggesting 3-5-1-1, presumably as damage limitation?

As a veteran who survived the Auld campaigns I fondly remember a dreadful, ground out 1-0 win at Tynecastle (Alex O'Hara) many moons ago - OK in those days Hearts were rank rotten - but one attack, one goal, two points was hugely enjoyable.

Times have perhaps moved on and cannot see any liklihood of similar on Saturday. In many ways (and only my view) at least trying to attack sometimes, and getting beaten 2 or 3 or even 4 might be preferable to a 1-0 defeat in a game of attack against defence.

Are you sure your not getting mixed up with ian Jardine?

Dundee utd beat this team just a few weeks back as did Inverness, yes when they are playing their best they would beat us. I would go in and don't let them settle let them know their in a game. Anyone can beat anyone in this league so i would'nt go there just expecting to get beat, we are jags fans after all we've got to be optimists.

As has been common in most of our games this season, if we want anything from the game we really need to score first. Being honest I am far more confident about the upcoming Firhill games next week against the top 2 than the game today. Any points returned today would be a fantastic result!

It's actually incredible to the think where we could have been, if we hadn't be torn apart by injuries and suspensions up to October.

Let's not rewrite history PT. It had nothing to do with injuries and suspensions. We were rubbish. End of.

Edited by Big Col