Hearts Game

Lionel J. Botch

If you were at the game yesterday you would have seen that Archie got his tactics spot on. Hearts are a very good side particularly at Tynecastle, they have lost only 1 league game at home and IMHO at the moment are a level above us.

They use their physicality to their advantage, thus why it made sense to deploy Pogba up front. I also think that we have a number of games coming up which will be better suited to Dools starting.

Yesterday showed we have improved as the season has evolved and although we should never be happy with a defeat we also need to put things into perspective.

Exactly.

We were the team sitting 7th in the division playing away to the the team lying in 3rd place. A home win would be predicted in just about every league you come across. Not happy in the least but both realistic and certainly content that we went about our business OK and, as Hearts fans I talked to after the game acknowledged, we were unlucky not to have come away with a point.

If you feel Partick Thistle FC should be routinely winning away fixtures such as yesterday I suggest you chip in, hire a wee plane and buzz about over Firhill next Saturday at 12.30.

• Like 3

Never happy to lose, but was happy that the Jags team competed throughout, at times looked like scoring and generally gave us a performance to be reasonably proud of, especially after losing our usual midfield driving force before halftime. I was encouraged by Amoo's best display yet and by Edwards' excellent second half showing.

Frustrated but not downcast would be a summary of how I felt.

• Like 1

I don't think any jags fan expects us to 'routinely' beat these teams.

But we should put ourselves in with a chance. We will never beat any of them the way we approach these games.

Perhaps I shall be proved wrong this week. 3-2 against Dons. And 4-3 against Celtic.

This approach would may some of you guys uptight and way outta sight!

Don't worry, be happy!

I don't think any jags fan expects us to 'routinely' beat these teams.

But we should put ourselves in with a chance. We will never beat any of them the way we approach these games.

Perhaps I shall be proved wrong this week. 3-2 against Dons. And 4-3 against Celtic.

This approach would may some of you guys uptight and way outta sight!

Don't worry, be happy!

I wasn't at the game, but most reports from folk who were suggest that we went about our business the right way and should have got a point.

• Like 1

Just watched Sportscene, there didn't look much in Juanma's push on Lindsay, Big Liam didn't even claim fir it and was already walking back for the kick off when the ref blew for the foul. Booth's tackle on Walker I think looked a stonewaller, dunno how they never got a pen for that.

• Like 1

Just watched Sportscene, there didn't look much in Juanma's push on Lindsay, Big Liam didn't even claim fir it and was already walking back for the kick off when the ref blew for the foul. Booth's tackle on Walker I think looked a stonewaller, dunno how they never got a pen for that.

Sportscene coverage of the 2nd half was vastly disproportionate to the game itself, tho' totally consistent with that programme's norm. Hearts sat back a bit more for much of the half content to absorb our attack, something they did well tho' not without the odd reasonably close thing. Most glaringly omitting late on when were the more dominant side. Anyone daft enough to take the BBC coverage as representative of the game would believe our last chance of getting anything out of the game was Pogba's header early on. Our best chance maybe, but not exactly our last.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The problem remains that our team was set up to play Hearts at the game they're better at - kick-and-rush, long ball over the top and physicality. Does it really need to be pointed out, after all the defeats to Hearts, that we cannot compete at that kind of game?

Pogba isn't going to become pacey; Lawless isn't going to grow another foot in height. On the other hand, Fraser's shots from distance, Elliott's pace and strength and Doolan's alacrity in the box were left to languish on the bench until Doolan was finally allowed on 8 minutes from the end, by which time it was too late. Not for the first time, Archie seemed to be too late in making substitutions.

By the way, from where I was watching (at the far end of the park) it looked as if a penalty decision against Booth would have been harsh, but a straight red for Edwards' lunge (halfway up the park) would not have been surprising. He dodged a bullet there.

My friendly heating engineer has just been. Season ticket holder at Tynecastle. He told me Thistle were unlucky not to have won. Hearts were, according to him, honking. He reckons the influence of Levein is the reason why Hearts are happy to hold on to a lead and out-muscle the opposition. Despite that, he couldn't understand why anyone would want Neilson out given where the club have been in the last few years.

My friendly heating engineer has just been. Season ticket holder at Tynecastle. He told me Thistle were unlucky not to have won. Hearts were, according to him, honking. He reckons the influence of Levein is the reason why Hearts are happy to hold on to a lead and out-muscle the opposition. Despite that, he couldn't understand why anyone would want Neilson out given where the club have been in the last few years.

They were honking - and we are worse at doing honking. Our team was set up to out-honk them. :D