What's Going On With Erskine?

Firhillista

Apologies for having to labour the point, GRE but I didn't mention Archie.

You are the one who is making that association.

You said Thistle would do the same. The manager decides if that's to be done. Who is the present Thistle manager? Or are you saying that the manager would be told otherwise from above?

I don't think it's too surprising he's not featured for United. Perhaps the reason he didn't play much for us is the same reason that he's not getting played at the moment? United are no strangers to fielding young players.

Undoubtedly a talented player, as witnessed in that second half at Rugby Pk, but I don't think many of us would've been either upset or shocked if he'd been subbed at half time. Sure I'd like to see the guy that came alive for 30 minutes that day return. He's not yet 20yo and his best days should be ahead of him but we've all seen plenty of young players that could've applied to.

Perhaps a bit unfair as he only played 8 games for us, most of which was from the bench, if my memory serves me well. We have seen guys come to the club and it's taken at least half a season before they bed in. Personally I would take Muirhead back in a heartbeat. Plenty of potential there!

Did we not do the same with Cairney or Harkins when they signed PCAs ?

I guess it's down to the manager to do what he thinks is best for the club he is managing

Cairney played up until the 2nd last game when he was sent off in ludicrous circumstances at Dens after scoring his hat-trick

You said Thistle would do the same. The manager decides if that's to be done. Who is the present Thistle manager? Or are you saying that the manager would be told otherwise from above?

What I implied was that PTFC may well make a similar decision in similar circumstances. No names, no assertions or assumptions and certainly not on any member of current staff. My postulation was purely hypothetical, but - let's face it - not unlikely.

As you allude to above, it is not always a manager's decision anyway. It could be a Board decision.

Or the Chairman.

Or even the player himself.

Many variables affect these things and those of us who spout opinions on fans fora (myself included) are generally not the best informed on individual cases.

Anyway, and more importantly GRE, thanks for a civilised debate on a worthwhile subject!

Hope your weekend's been a good one.

Edited by Barney Rubble

What I implied was that PTFC may well make a similar decision in similar circumstances. No names, no assertions or assumptions and certainly not on any member of current staff. My postulation was purely hypothetical, but - let's face it - not unlikely.

As you allude to above, it is not always a manager's decision anyway. It could be a Board decision.

Or the Chairman.

Or even the player himself.

Many variables affect these things and those of us who spout opinions on fans fora (myself included) are generally not the best informed on individual cases.

Anyway, and more importantly GRE, thanks for a civilised debate on a worthwhile subject!

Hope your weekend's been a good one.

Hope you got plenty of Valentines Day champagne Barney.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If Erskine had been available for the last couple of months or Lawless stays where would Erskine play? either takes lawless,s position or play behind a striker?

Lawless has been playing wide mostly. His best position is imo behind the striker but that's most likely where Erskine will play. I for one would like to see a midfield of Osman and Fraser playing behind a trio of Amoo, Erskine & Lawless. To get the best out of Wee Stevie I feel Amoo needs to switch wings regularly as Lawless is far more effective coming in from the right. In any case I'd like to think that trio wouldn't play too rigidly.

I'd like that but I think Fraser is potentially a weak link. I say potentially. I think he can be a great player, but not sure he's proved this season that he can be taken as a regular starter. We'd certainly need decent back-up.

Valid points. Another weak point being that none of the front three hold any great defensive qualities. Abdul is so obviously solid defensively but from a distribution point of view rarely contributes much going forward. That would be where Fraser comes in, kinda playing the "Sean Welsh" role, something that the player himself hasn't been able to do often enough. Sean has rarely got pass marks of late but can't be criticised for his positioning and never hides. Fraser will have to have those two qualities as well as distribution skills.

The thing with Gary Fraser is that he has loads of talent, and can create, but I reckon he's best when the game is in front of him, which would push him to one of the two central roles. Problem with that is I don't think he's great defensively, which is difficult to compensate for in that position. Always thought the same about Charlie Adam for Scotland.

Chic Charnley had similar qualities, but he was special, and in those days the midfield wasn't as two-tiered as it is now.

Lawless has been playing wide mostly. His best position is imo behind the striker but that's most likely where Erskine will play. I for one would like to see a midfield of Osman and Fraser playing behind a trio of Amoo, Erskine & Lawless. To get the best out of Wee Stevie I feel Amoo needs to switch wings regularly as Lawless is far more effective coming in from the right. In any case I'd like to think that trio wouldn't play too rigidly.

Throw Ryan Edwards into that mix and you have a cornucopia of possibilities, combinations and substitutions. It would certainly keep all 4 on their toes as they would presumably be fighting for 3 starting places. Amoo is perhaps the only genuine winger but the others can play centrally or a bit wider. Yet, even Amoo has been effective through the middle with head and foot. Where would you shoehorn Blair Alston into that lot??

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Erskine looked way off the pace which is understandable considering his lack of games in recent months.

It's been a poor game between two unimpressive sides one of whom look likely to be beaten finalists unfortunately, unless they step up their game considerably.

Cummings' Paneka Penalty over the bar is undoubtedly the comedy highlight of the season and the Hibs' keeper has eaten all the pies.