Banzo News

Dick Dastardly

I know it is unreliable BBC gossip, but still positive ....

Partick Thistle midfielder Stuart Bannigan admits he is uncertain about his future after picking up a serious knee injury last month and has not ruled out staying on at Firhill. (Herald)

Also, don't know much about this guy

Thistle are keen on recruiting Dunfermline skipper Andy Geggan over the summer. (Sun)

Much as I would love Banzo to stay, it would be a shame if he was denied the move he thoroughly deserves because of a freak injury. He has been the consummate professional during his time with the Jags and he really should be playing at a higher level down south.

Much as I would love Banzo to stay, it would be a shame if he was denied the move he thoroughly deserves because of a freak injury. He has been the consummate professional during his time with the Jags and he really should be playing at a higher level down south.

Few will disagree with that, but it would do him no harm and probably a lot of good to sign another contract with us and complete his rehabilitation at Firhill. Once he's playing well again, bigger teams might be more likely to move in for him.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I like the lad but the interview is a little bit disappointing. It reads a bit as though he's saying "If I'm fit then I'll leave for the money and if it turns out I'm crocked for the season then I'll stay for the wage and the facilities…" Either way I don't expect to him in a Thistle Jersey this year. a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

I like the lad but the interview is a little bit disappointing. It reads a bit as though he's saying "If I'm fit then I'll leave for the money and if it turns out I'm crocked for the season then I'll stay for the wage and the facilities…" Either way I don't expect to him in a Thistle Jersey this year. a sad state of affairs.

He's just being honest. Plus he sees it the exact same way we all do. If he's fit, he goes, if he's not, he might stay. I don't think anyone's under any illusions otherwise.

It's not disappointing at all. Every single player in his position would be thinking the same.

But it's brilliant news if he stays. Sad for the player maybe, but as supporters our first priority should be what's best for the team on the park, not for individual players.

Edited by ian_mac

Knees injury,s can be career threatening and it could well put a lot of clubs off him. Got to say this is the risk players take by not singing contract offers and waiting for a move- when he got the injury that's exactly what went through my head. Going to be an interesting situation as it unfolds and how the club reacts if brannigan wants to stay. Big shame for the lad.

I find the Andy Geggan interest a strange one if indeed there's any truth in it. I don't like using the expression utility player but I can think of no other.

Andy Geggan is a weird one. Unlike Gary Miller for example, he's never played any higher than the First Division, and at 28 he's probably just peaked in terms of ability. There are however a few Dunfermline players that would be worth a look; they have a pretty strong squad.

Banzo's still young. I would like him to react to the situation by signing on again for, say, another 12-18 months depending on the prognosis of his injury. He'll still be young enough to attract a bigger employer if he's completely recovered from this setback.

Win-win. Happy days. That's certainly the outcome I'd like to see.

• Like 1

I must admit to having considerable sympathy for Banzo, particularly as he was on the verge of an outstanding season for Thistle and undoubtedly securing a move that would have secured his financial future. That said if his injury means that he stays, I for one will be delighted, as his presence has been sorely missed in midfield (never more so than last Saturday IMHO).

Bannigan was a good servant but he made his intention to leave at the end of the season clear ( as was his right ). Unfortunate for him of course, but I see no obligation on Thistle to offer him anything post contract end that isn't beneficial to the club.

Hypothetically it could work for all parties. Let's say Bannigan's injury turns out to be a bad one and rules him out for six month. Most Scottish teams with limited funds will not gamble on an injured player, and especially one that won't be able to play a part in pre-season leaving him out in the cold.

Now Archie could offer Bannigan a years extension with the same terms as he's on now. Physiotherapist works with him and he hopefully returns to football towards the end of the year. That gives Banzo six solid months to put himself in the shop window, and we have one of our best players available for the end of season 16/17 run in. Obviously a lot of "ifs", "buts", and hypotheticals are included.

Andy Geggan is a weird one. Unlike Gary Miller for example, he's never played any higher than the First Division, and at 28 he's probably just peaked in terms of ability. There are however a few Dunfermline players that would be worth a look; they have a pretty strong squad.

Faissal el Bakhtaoui or Michael Moffat would surely get more than 2 goals in a season.

Can there ever have been a player with 4 consecutive vowels in his name before?

if he were to be out for half the season would he accept half the wage with access to the medical team? If he wants a full wage for half a season surely he has to accept a longer contract with a serious buyout option if a bigger club want him?

This is another Sean Welsh scenario...

if he were to be out for half the season would he accept half the wage with access to the medical team? If he wants a full wage for half a season surely he has to accept a longer contract with a serious buyout option if a bigger club want him?

This is another Sean Welsh scenario...

If you mean this season then Welsh has hardly missed a game thru injury. if you mean last season then there's an obvious difference as Welsh was a contracted player.

Anyway I don't think for one moment any sort of compromise contract offered to Bannigan would be blatantly detrimental to the Club. There may of course be an element of speculation about whatever we offer. A slight gamble re the extent of Stuart's injury. One where we could come out on top or one where his injury is worse/longer than anticipated. We take gambles all the time with players particularly new signings after the season has started.

Apart from any speculation aspect I honestly can't see too much difficulty in drawing up a year contract that would be satisfactory to both parties.

Would be great if Banzo signed a new contract and the injury doesnt keep him out too long.

Surely though the club (if he is willing to sign a new deal) should be looking at offering more than just a year. Would it be such a hard sell to say to Stuart ' Here's a 2 year deal and if someone comes in for you with an acceptable offer then we will let you leave'. Maybe he wont want such a deal and be willing to take his chances being a free agent next summer but this would be benefit both parties giving Stuart security if he takes longer to recover than expect and a chance for the club to get a fee for the player.

Would be great if Banzo signed a new contract and the injury doesnt keep him out too long.

Surely though the club (if he is willing to sign a new deal) should be looking at offering more than just a year. Would it be such a hard sell to say to Stuart ' Here's a 2 year deal and if someone comes in for you with an acceptable offer then we will let you leave'. Maybe he wont want such a deal and be willing to take his chances being a free agent next summer but this would be benefit both parties giving Stuart security if he takes longer to recover than expect and a chance for the club to get a fee for the player.

Completely agree!

• Members

'If' he was going to be out for at least 6 months, I'd only be looking at offering him a 2 year deal. 'If' he didn't come back till January/February on a one year deal, he may feel that he doesn't want to risk getting another injury, and might not be so committed? But it's Banzo, so I highly doubt the second scenario would be likely. He's also been another player who signed a 2 year deal, like SOD did before, when most felt he would leave so I think he gets a fair bit of leeway with that too. He's been a great servant to the Club and fans.

• Like 4

we'll see you through your current injury ..... and you can return to a side boasting the pace, vision and talents of players like dumbuya and pogba and amoo (who'll all have benefited from a full preseason with us) as well as the ever dependable dools and the return of the bridge maestro. maryhill is wonderful and things round firhill are only going to get better, and you don't want to miss out on that.

sign for longer with the jags you must, you know it makes sense.