Hibs - Probably Deserve A Thread Of Their Own

Veejag

I honestly think that Falkirk were so lucky over the two legs and it's now inevitable that the farmers will see to them in the final. What with the big centre half getting off with his Les Mottram moment in game one and then not getting sent off last night. If it had been US we would have been reduced to ten and maybe fewer in the two games. Remember what the St Mirren clogger did to us with the penalty we never got at Firhill for his hand ball? And the penalty that was given to them at the other end in the last minute for the ball hammered at Osman (?) from point blank range in another game against them? Come uppance was their eventual relegation. Falkirk have run out of luck!

Sends a shiver down my spine thinking how difficult it is to get out of the Championship.

• Like 1

I know we've all said "typical ThIstle" a million times. But I'm sure the fans of every other club feel the same, you always feel that it is your own team that suffers all the hurt.

But really, the run that Hibs are on these days is setting new levels of pain.

Humiliated in cup final by Hearts, then when they thought they were going to see Hearts down, they conspired to go on a disastrous run to get themselves into playoff. Last minute equaliser in playoff and then lost on penalties. Playoff defeat to Sevco last season. Last gasp league cup final defeat to county. And now this.

You actually start to expect it again in the cup final.

Stubbs could still end up a hero with a cup win, and they've done brilliantly to get to 2 finals in a season, but ultimately they've failed to win promotion with probably the 2nd highest budget in the league (& I would guess by a large margin over the rest) so I wonder if they'll hang on to him? He seems to be highly rated and quoted for jobs down south, but imho they totally blew it this season

I honestly think that Falkirk were so lucky over the two legs and it's now inevitable that the farmers will see to them in the final. What with the big centre half getting off with his Les Mottram moment in game one and then not getting sent off last night. If it had been US we would have been reduced to ten and maybe fewer in the two games. Remember what the St Mirren clogger did to us with the penalty we never got at Firhill for his hand ball? And the penalty that was given to them at the other end in the last minute for the ball hammered at Osman (?) from point blank range in another game against them? Come uppance was their eventual relegation. Falkirk have run out of luck!

Sends a shiver down my spine thinking how difficult it is to get out of the Championship.

Maybe, but you probably make your own luck by scoring 5 goals in 2 games.

Well done to them. Hope they come up.

Much like last year's play-off final I suspect the "Premiership" team might have a competitive edge over the "Championship" side, although this year's outcome perhaps wont be the humiliation as regards final margin and player behaviour as it was last year.

Last night's tie looked to be heading Hibs' way until Falkirk wisely made a double substitution and removed Baird and Kerr, who had contributed about as much as they did at Firhill. With Craigen on his way to Falkirk, they could turn up at Firhill next season with no fewer than four Thistle rejects, which must be a record.

Last night's tie looked to be heading Hibs' way until Falkirk wisely made a double substitution and removed Baird and Kerr, who had contributed about as much as they did at Firhill. With Craigen on his way to Falkirk, they could turn up at Firhill next season with no fewer than four Thistle rejects, which must be a record.

Wasn't it Craigen who rejected Thistle's offer?

Humiliated in cup final by Hearts, then when they thought they were going to see Hearts down, they conspired to go on a disastrous run to get themselves into playoff. Last minute equaliser in playoff and then lost on penalties. Playoff defeat to Sevco last season. Last gasp league cup final defeat to county. And now this.

You actually start to expect it again in the cup final.

Interesting contrast between the wild high / lows of Hibs and the flatlining tedium of PTFC.

Though it is reassuring that it's not always the highest spender that does it. I'd like to see the premiership bias removed too.

If the team that finishes 2nd in the Championship makes the final (as Falkirk have) they will play 38 games before the play-off final, same as the second bottom Premiership team. Falkirk actually have an extra day off. While their games have been more competitive than Killie's last two, maybe that can be beneficial. Main bias to Premiership team is they get to play away first but Falkirk had the same benefit against Hibs. I think the set up is OK on balance.

Edited by David Stevenson

Regardless of number of games, the system is biased in favour of the Premiership team. They only get involved once the diddy pretenders have sorted themselves out. I think it's wrong.

That's not bias. That is just a result of the way that the championship team gets there. End of the day it's still one team from the premier and one from the championship. 50-50

If it was second bottom against second top would you call it a premiership bias?

Not sure I understand your point and perhaps vice versa.

The Premiership team should be involved at the start of the play off process.

Semi finals

Premiership 11 v Championship 4

Championship 2 v Championship 3

I can agree that it's a more difficult achievement for the third and fourth placed clubs to win thru to the top league. However once again it's the ridiculously small leagues that dictates such a sort of weighting system. Take this season. Raith could've scraped into the play offs with a mere 44 points, which in turn would in all likelihood have been achieved with more losses than wins.

I suppose the rationale behind the extra round is to try and safeguard a situation where a club closer to their relegation play offs than to 2nd place has more difficulty progressing. Of course the rationale is flawed, Mr Doncaster is involved after all. But the overriding fault lies in such incestuous wee leagues where you can be struggling to get clear of the relegation and in a matter of weeks scrapping into a promotional play off spot. Besides what sort of convoluted system requires two clubs to play each other six times a season? Larger leagues would more or less ensure that 3rd and 4th clubs were worthy candidates and the straightforward play offs as BB proposes would be pure commonsense.

Interesting that we were promoted from Div. 2 after being 4th - similarly Queen's Park were promoted yesterday after finishing 4th - so the home/away manipulations to increase the chances of the higher team don't always work.

Heard Baz on the Radio after his team were unsuccessful - he spoke relatively honestly and admitted that his side didn't perform - no attempt to blame the ref. for sending one of his players off (admittedly and predictably he did think the first booking was "soft" but he didn't labour the point) and he said his team just weren't up for it. Of course his big brother went further and actually suggested that Clyde hadn't deserved to win the second game and that there had been a gulf in class between the way the two sides performed despite the actual scoreline yesterday. In truth it was nice to hear such honesty (although I will admit I actually think Derek calls the games as he sees them and is actually a breath of fresh air amongst the stench of dung that is Sportsound)..

Regardless of number of games, the system is biased in favour of the Premiership team. They only get involved once the diddy pretenders have sorted themselves out. I think it's wrong.

I don't think you can disregard the number of games. Your suggestion would mean the top Division side playing two games more in which to collect injuries or suspensions and poentially get "leggy" as the saying goes. I think the system is fair enough. We may just have to disagree!