Euro 2016 Pop Up Competition

BowenBoys

It's the time of year for endless debate about new signings/new strip. I offer this as a diversion.

As with all pop ups it's free entry to everybody. I'm delighted to be able to announce that this time there will be a prize.

A couple of weeks ago I got a message about a PAYE payment from a Nomad in Chicago. We had a brief but charming conversation. He is the long term sponsor of Kris Doolan's boots and not needing another pair, offered them to me. A terrific gesture. Thank you
ChiThistle

So, for the winner, Kris Doolan's 2015/16 boots. There is only one person who could adequately describe the value of this prize.

I'll be back in a few days with more details, meanwhile let me know if you're in.

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Jukebox Rebel writes for our delight -

These boots are made for talking...

In a season which saw the team flirt with some of the lowest goal-scoring ratios in the club’s history, it was a great relief that our trusty number nine was able to find the net on 14 occasions, maintaining his incredibly consistent season-by-season return, and enabling the side to achieve top-flight safety with a surprisingly relative ease in the circumstances.

In fact, Kris’s goals-per-minute ratio in the League this term (1 per 159 minutes) was
his
second-best ever as a Jag
; and not too far behind Thistle’s goal-happy season of 2012-13 (when he was 1 per 149 minutes).

There were 3 from the head,
2 with the right boot
and
9 with the left boot

Best with the left boot
? Got to be the only goal of the match at Tannadice in December as Kris takes Bannigan’s pass under control with a deft first touch, swivels on a sixpence, and despatches a perfectly placed drive into the bottom corner of the net. Yaaaaas!

Best with the right boot
? No contest – another single-goal match-winner vs United, this time at Firhill in April, as Kris took Dumbuya’s pass in his stride, reading Amoo’s clever dummy before sweeping home a glorious drive past the despairing reach of Kawashima. Doooo-laaaan!

And let’s not forget there was the small matter of an ultra-rare Doolan assist, with that
glorious right-booted cross
at New Douglas Park in March, enabling the flying Ryan Edwards to break his duck with a classic match-winner with just minutes left on the clock! Woo-hoo!

It’s been a big season for our star striker in terms of the history books. In his relentless climb up the all-time competitive goal-scoring chart this term, he’s progressed beyond Dougie Somner, Alex Wright, Tommy Ewing, Alex Stott and Denis McQuade, and now
has the ultra-exclusive 100-goals club in his sights

In April, he became only
the
second Jag in history
to register a double-figure return in competitive action for six consecutive seasons.

By season’s end, he became
the first Jag in history
to finish as outright top League scorer on five separate occasions.

With his running tally of 34 goals, Kris now sits proudly as the 6th highest scorer in the SPFL Premiership era. He’s never been out of the year-end Top 10 –
the only man in Scotland
to have done such a thing with the one club.

It now looks odds-on that
Kris Doolan will become the all-time highest goal-scorer for Thistle
in “first-class” League action.

These boots are sure to be of great historical interest 50 or 100 years from now. Can the lucky winner keep them safe please?
:D
  • Like 2

In, please. I am hopeless at these predictions but the prize is just too tempting.

That said, the boots would be of little use for anyone wanting to wear them as no one else is good enough to, ahem, lace Kris' boots.

The competition will take the form of a prediction league.

Predict the scores for all 51 games - final score in group matches and score after 90 mins in knockout stage.

Scoring

Correct score predictions earn 3 points

Correct result predictions earn 1 point

Bonus points

At the end of the group stage of the competition, I will generate final group tables for each player, based on their predictions. Matching these to the actual tables, 1 bonus point will be awarded for each correct team going through to the knockout stages.

In the knockout phase, draws are still possible. If you think it will be a draw at 90 mins, predict the eventual winner. If correct a bonus point will be awarded.

Also predict whether it will go to penalties or not. A correct prediction will get a bonus point.

Fine print and first fixtures will be up on Tuesday evening.

Edited by BowenBoys