Scotland

angry gaz

Atrocious tactics from Strachan.

Punting the ball into the opposition box from 40 yards out is football from 30 years ago . Shambles at the back again. Grant Hanley, why does he get picked?

He's totally useless and not even getting a game for his club. Even comparitivley in the dearth of talent we have he's still awful.

We have a poor bunch of players but Strachan's outdated tactics and negative approach have us playing still further below than we should be.

Shambles. Strachan has to go. Plays a Sole striker, leaves out top SPL scorer till last 20 mins, leaves out £13m player altogether, when 3 goals down he takes off a striker and brings on a midfielder, negative tippy tappy sideways backwards p1sh, continually plays one of the worst CBs ever (Hanley).

But maybe the tartan clad mountain boots wearing mob will give him another standing ovation, just like they did in Gibraltar. That's what kept him in the job. How foolish they look this evening.

• Like 2

I agree ANY Scotland manager wouldn't have his troubles to seek, but let's be fair Strachan certainly does himself no favours at all. Persisting with one up front for what were theoretically at least winnable games said it all for me. To compound his mistake he doesn't even play the one goalscorer we possess: if you add to that his consistent taling nonsense, then I'm afraid he's lost me.

However there is a deeper malaise within Scottish football which to my mind requires the replacement of the two fools at the top who in my view bear considerably more responsibility than Gordon Strachan for the perilous state our game is in.

The sad fact is not that we are mediocre at best, but that we have come to accept this mediocrity and in some places praise it.

• Like 1

I agree ANY Scotland manager wouldn't have his troubles to seek, but let's be fair Strachan certainly does himself no favours at all. Persisting with one up front for what were theoretically at least winnable games said it all for me. To compound his mistake he doesn't even play the one goalscorer we possess: if you add to that his consistent taling nonsense, then I'm afraid he's lost me.

However there is a deeper malaise within Scottish football which to my mind requires the replacement of the two fools at the top who in my view bear considerably more responsibility than Gordon Strachan for the perilous state our game is in.

The sad fact is not that we are mediocre at best, but that we have come to accept this mediocrity and in some places praise it.

Can't disagree with much of that and I think Strachan should resign now to give a new manager time to try things out in what will now be meaningless games so he'll know his best side for the new campaign. However where I disagree with you is about Doncaster and Regan. Of course they are incompetent fools, with unwonted arrogance to boot, but they are merely the puppets of the people who man the boards of the SFA and SPFL. If that wasn't so they would have gotten their jotters a while back. I honestly don't know what can be done as the clique who run Scottish football will not allow any real change as that might loosen their grip on things.

There's not many in line in front of me when it comes down to criticising Stewart Regan. Along with Doncaster he has been a disastrous appointment. Regardless of that the SFA is no worse now than it was before. It's more a case of being overtaken elsewhere by professionalism on and off the park. That's why dismissing Strachan (it looks like he clearly has to go) will likely not make much significant difference over the medium or long term.

Perhaps we will strike gold and bring in a manager that can get a squad playing effective football. Perhaps this manager will also know when to promote younger players to his squad and when to play them. And perhaps this manager will be able to juggle that with a settled team, one whose whole is better than the some of its parts, something that shouldn't be confused with blind loyalty. What's the chances? Firstly there's maybe not that many available that fit that bill and secondly it's the feckin' useless SFA that will appoint the manager.

I saw my first international in 1962, when selectors still picked the team, so I suppose in my time I've seen every full Scottish manager come and go. I don't think there's ever been a time when either the manager or SFA haven't let us down (often both at the same time). Our saving grace was always having genuine class players to pick from, often when there was still real competition for places (Dave MacKay or Baxter, Bremner or Murdoch, Henderson, Johnstone or Cooke and so on). Ultimately it was these "big" players' arrogance, attitude and egos that either won us games we had little right to win or let us down big time. Back then the manager, apart from picking a team most of us could've done, and the SFA blazers, apart from being incompetent, were usually just bit players.

For the last 20 years or so when we've had virtually no real class to pick, it's been glaringly obvious that the SFA, the management and the players now all need to sing from the same hymn sheet. Until then simply ridding ourselves of Strachan may just prove to be a futile exercise.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

My worry is that removing Strachan and replacing him now woud just be a different face in the dugout and a different voice on the press conference. I doubt that it will change anything on the pitch. As has been said, the current talent pool is pretty thin, so just appointing the next candidate from the list of usual suspects - Lambert, McInness, Wright - are unlikely to change much. There is even mention of Fergie, Smith and McLeish returning. I honestly cant see any of them having what it takes to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

If we do change manager, what we need is an appointment from left field, someone with a different way of thinking from the old school establishment, and someone willing to take a risk. We have very little to lose. The tried and tested hasn't cut it

At the grand old age of 24, Grant Hanley has three more Scotland caps than Jimmy Johnstone, four more than Davie Cooper, and has just equalled Alan Hansen's total of 26.

Emphasising a point I made earlier about once being competition for places amongst the class players. Apart from Henderson and Cooke there was always someone like Willie Morgan that could replace Wee Jinky. Morgan the poorest of the four would stroll into today's team. Hansen had at times McQueen, Burns, Buchan, Forsyth, Narey and of course the pairing of McLeish & Miller to contend with. Alan should really have had more caps but we often went for the hard no nonsense less classier defender, who would still be light years ahead of what we have just now. Ironically I think Strachan himself may have often be preferred to Cooper tho' more on a horses for courses basis than positional.

Sad to think that there'll be folk about in maybe twenty years time that going on caps believe Hanley was the equivalent of Hansen or Ikechi Anya could in fact lace Jimmy Johnstone's boots. Then again my late father reckoned Alex James was the best ever Scottish player and he only got eight caps. :)

There is even mention of Fergie, Smith and McLeish returning.

Alex or Henry?

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I''Be been far from Scott Brown's biggest fan, but to put it bluntly Scotland's. performances so far have been so dire that anything that makes the midfield better must be welcomed To be fair to Brown when I've watched Celtic this season he has been very impressive.. Many of us have a natural built in antipathy to any 'fan's favourite' from Ibrox or Celtic Park, but in Brown's case Churchills comments on Stalin are apposite and I think we might have to make a favourable comment on Brown on this forum!

As for McGhee's claims about him been the best currently playing Scottish player at first I was tempted to rubbish ish, but on examination and bearing in mind where he plays it's hard to argue that there is a better Scottish player in his position Amy where.

Edited by stillresigned

The fact remains Brown is the wrong side of thirty. Even if he's got a few more years left in at international level we most certainly shouldn't be building a team round him. He's now available to be selected again like every other Scottish footballer, who didn't have the arrogance to announce his retirement from international football.

As for McGhee, I think he said Brown was certainly the best Scottish born player currently playing in Scotland. I doubt that's true but even if it is it is an incredibly stupid thing for someone involved in the Scottish team management to say. Undermine present and future international players to bolster the ego of a guy whose ego definitely doesn't require bolstering.

The fact remains Brown is the wrong side of thirty. Even if he's got a few more years left in at international level we most certainly shouldn't be building a team round him. He's now available to be selected again like every other Scottish footballer, who didn't have the arrogance to announce his retirement from international football. As for McGhee, I think he said Brown was certainly the best Scottish born player currently playing in Scotland. I doubt that's true but even if it is it is an incredibly stupid thing for someone involved in the Scottish team management to say. Undermine present and future international players to bolster the ego of a guy whose ego definitely doesn't require bolstering.

Whilst I don't agree with the retiring from international football decision - you play until your not picked anymore - Im not sure we are building a team around him as you put it, he'll be back in for the England game and I am sure that'll be it - a game we need some decent options and leaders to play in....I'd love it if we were able to call upon an abundance of talent for games but we aren't and to give ourselves a slim chance of getting results we need to play our best players, like it or not, brown is one of them...

I'd love to know who is Scottish and performing better than him right now...answers on a postcard please and get them in the team