Aberdeen 04/11/16

Lindau

Continuity is a great thing in football. 3 games same team (injured goal I apart) has got us 7 out of 9, so I think unfortunately for Erskine he is on the bench. I am Archies biggest fan, however in the past if there is one thing that has annoyed me is his insistence in changing a winning team when playing against Celtic / Aberdeen, to try to counter their threats, instead of keeping faith with the guys who have got us on a roll. So same team for me on Friday, with luxury of bringing on Amoo or Erskine if needed

I'd say though that at this moment in time our best defensive formation is the current one with 3 at the back and 3 central mid (width being the wing-backs). There isn't really any other realistic option. My only worry at the moment is we don't have any real cover if one or more of our back three is injured/suspended.

I'd say though that at this moment in time our best defensive formation is the current one with 3 at the back and 3 central mid (width being the wing-backs). There isn't really any other realistic option. My only worry at the moment is we don't have any real cover if one or more of our back three is injured/suspended.

Gordon would most likely come in for Devine or Lindsay (if latter Devine moving over). I'd say if Barton got injured the 3 at the back would be scrapped.

Gordon would most likely come in for Devine or Lindsay (if latter Devine moving over). I'd say if Barton got injured the 3 at the back would be scrapped.

I realise Gordon is available but I'm not sure about him as one of 3 centre backs. He has looked a bit shaky when played as a centre back (in the back four) for us and I thought he was particularly dodgy when he came on (in the back three) against Ross County. Seemed unsure of the position playing kind of half like a left back. I realise he's our only realsitic option if we got injuries but I don't think we'd want to change the defence (for tactical reasons v. a particular opponent) unless we did get injuries/suspensions there and I wish we had a better option.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Could this work???

Stuckman

Devine Barton Lindsay

Osman

Booth Edwards Elliot

Erskine

Doolan Azeez

I think Welsh has been good, but not sure there's room for him & Osman all the time which would allow Erskine to roam about behind the front 2 - he's so effective running at defenders & with Doolan / Azeez making good runs ahead of him, some space could well open up.

Fairly attacking team, but why not?

ETA - Morton's Quitongo had Aberdeen bricking it in the cup game by running at them, defenders looked slow & somewhat cumbersome. We need to take the game to them - sit back & we're done for. Attack & we have a chance, a good chance.

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle
  • Like 1

ETA - Morton's Quitongo had Aberdeen bricking it in the cup game by running at them, defenders looked slow & somewhat cumbersome. We need to take the game to them - sit back & we're done for. Attack & we have a chance, a good chance.

Didn't see that but if they are that slow Azeez will give them real problems.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I realise Gordon is available but I'm not sure about him as one of 3 centre backs. He has looked a bit shaky when played as a centre back (in the back four) for us and I thought he was particularly dodgy when he came on (in the back three) against Ross County. Seemed unsure of the position playing kind of half like a left back. I realise he's our only realsitic option if we got injuries but I don't think we'd want to change the defence (for tactical reasons v. a particular opponent) unless we did get injuries/suspensions there and I wish we had a better option.

I realised when posting that Gordon isn't exactly the choice we'd want to be making, just now at least. There was tho' a Ziggy Gordon who played for Accies that played comfortably in a back three as well as at right and left back plus I think at centreback in a back four. I've never known of a player once gained to lose positional awareness so I believe it's fair to presume Ziggy can play any of these roles at our level effectively. It's just as fair to question why he hasn't even looked the part at right back never mind looking lost at right centreback (Tannadice) and left of three in his cameo appearance (v County).

I'd need help here but perhaps Gordon has been partnered by giants at NDP (Tena is a big lad and Canning quite tall) and that's made him look better than he is in a central role? I did think tho' Ziggy had a good game v sevco and was decent against his old team so perhaps he's coming back into form. So to me it's more a case of Gordon under performing than not being capable of playing in Devine's present role, and a couple of others should they occur.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Didn't see that but if they are that slow Azeez will give them real problems.

and if Edwards and Erskine are buzzing on their best...why not? Will still need a complete team effort.

Just cheesed as I am actually in Glasgow this Friday night but for another reason completely.

Archie was talking about potentially tired players at the St Johnstone game. Despite this, I expect to see the same side run out tonight.

Azeez and Doolan have got to be buzzing at the moment. Then you've got Amoo and Erskine to come off the bench, looking to prove they should be starting. That's a good, and very different, option to have.

• Like 1