Lindsay

Vaila Street

Been to Wembley games many times (tho' not for three decades) but even the likes of Gordon McQueen and Frank Munro (our hapless centreback pairing in the 1-5 debacle) would've been an improvement on those two tonight. Not really having a go at Hanley and Berra as I can't come up with a miracle cure in those positions.

Lindsay, if he was to progress at the rate he's been doing, could come into contention for a place in the not too distant future, especially being left sided. The only competition for all i can see would be players well past their sell by. If that happened what a disgrace it would've been that Liam was completely ignored at U21 level.

I wonder how Jack Hendry will turn out. He looked the more talented of the two but seems to have stalled a bit at WiganThink he's on loan at MK Dons.

If he had have stayed he may well have been a long way further his development

Scotland last night showed that it doesnt matter how good you perform in the rest of the areas , if your defence is sh1te your in trouble..

Though Strachan's substitutions were bizzare .

Central defence choices are:

Hanley (can't get a game for Newcastle)

Martin (Norwich)

Berra (Ipswich)

No wonder we lose so many goals. Blame Strachan for tactics but what can you do with the likes of them?

Probably we'd be not quite so bad if any two of them played regularly together in the same team. Thought that as the game went on our defence looked less and less composed and "together" with two of the oppo's goals coming due to a centre back out of position.

Just came acrosss this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/37961956

What do folk here think. Phrase that I felt made sense was (regarding lack of decent players just now) "Attempting to make things better in the future doesn't preclude you from trying to make things better in the present."

Has to be said though it's hard to think of many decent Scottish centre backs in the SPL or elsewhere. I think our other problem is that we have a good number of decent midfield players and attaciing full backs but are very short in numbers of goal scoring forwards and decent centre backs (which is why we seem to play a lot of guys who look somewhat past it in these positions). Whereas Ireland (N&S) have more of a spread of players than us - that is they have more choice in all positions, even though on average their squads are no better than Scotland's. Although perhaps the problem is our recent managers have not looked hard enough to find better, sticking with guys they know and who fit into their system.

Edit: with nothing better to do (still recovering after last night's booze-to-forget-the-result) I looked up all the SPL squads. Nearly all the centre backs are Irish or English (with a few of other nationalities) and only a small number of home-grown CBs. Mostly getting on a bit but I picked out these three: John Soutar (Hearts, aged 20), Marcus Fraser (Ross C., aged 22) and Danny Wilson (Sevco, aged 24, almost 25). To these we can add Liam Lindsay (just turned 21).

Surely a good thing now since our chances of qualifying are as good as dead) would to be bring in these players and try to play them together to develop a unit, used to each others' games? In defence of including Wilson he was a very good young player (though with a tendency to be a bit casual) before joining Sevco and losing form in the lower leagues - but with games in the top league surely he will improve again?

One thing about Wilson - if he did get his old form back - is you could play him as the libero in a back three. It occurs to me one thing Scotland could try is doing what Thistle did. Playing 3 at the back (which also means 3 midfield and 2 wingbacks) makes you defensively more solid and also gives you 2 forwards. A problem Scotland has is our only regular goals scorers (e.g. Griffiths and McCormack) can't play well as a solitary forward and the big lumps who can play alone don't score many goals. Two up front might help: the likes of Burke might be able to play as a second forward as well.

Again, thoughts anyone?

Edited by Mr Bunny

Formations are cyclical and I can see the 3-5-2 coming back in, a number of Clubs have switched to it recently and pundits have been suggeszing England should too given their CBs have played this at Club level. Given our lack of good centre backs, is playing another just adding another donkey on the Park or will it shore it up as it has for thistle?

I agree that these young players need to be more involved, I saw our CB options on Friday and knew we had no chance. But guys at Norwich, Newcastle and Ipswich are clearly playing at a higher level than Lindsay et al. I agree Wilson had potential which seems to remain unrealised, so the thought of him in a 3 at the back formation sounds OK. This allows our wing backs to do what they are better at and hopefully as you say means we can play to our forwards strengths too.

Formations are cyclical and I can see the 3-5-2 coming back in, a number of Clubs have switched to it recently and pundits have been suggeszing England should too given their CBs have played this at Club level. Given our lack of good centre backs, is playing another just adding another donkey on the Park or will it shore it up as it has for thistle?

I agree that these young players need to be more involved, I saw our CB options on Friday and knew we had no chance. But guys at Norwich, Newcastle and Ipswich are clearly playing at a higher level than Lindsay et al. I agree Wilson had potential which seems to remain unrealised, so the thought of him in a 3 at the back formation sounds OK. This allows our wing backs to do what they are better at and hopefully as you say means we can play to our forwards strengths too.

Playing at a higher level and being at a club at a higher level are two different things. There's for ever been a convincing argument that an international manager should select an in form goalie or in form striker ahead of his regular pick. I think that should be extended to centrebacks, especially when you don't have even one "walk in to the side" defender. No nursemaid as such. Continuity (loyalty?) is fine but you have to have something worth continuing with in the first place.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

It worked for Thistle because we have Barton who can play what used to be called the "libero" role. (Think Scott Patterson years ago). It probably wouldn't work so well for Scotland as there isn't really anyone who can do that role. I suppose you could try Mulgrew - don't fancy him as a centre back in normal back four but in a back three he might be OK as the spare man who can bring the ball out from defence. Don't know if he's ever been tried in that role so it's just a guess on my part he could do it as he's played both midfield and centre back. However I'd be more inclined now to look at younger players and see what they can do.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I seem to recall, correct me if I am wrong, when Thistle had the odd player in a Scotland line-up? I am thinking back to the glory days when Forsyth, (both?) Hansens, Rough and others got the odd game. Nowadays Jackie Campbell would be a stick on certainty for a Centre back place, but he never got a sniff.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/clubs/partickthistle.html

I seem to recall, correct me if I am wrong, when Thistle had the odd player in a Scotland line-up? I am thinking back to the glory days when Forsyth, (both?) Hansens, Rough and others got the odd game. Nowadays Jackie Campbell would be a stick on certainty for a Centre back place, but he never got a sniff.

Unfortunately the great , legendary Jackie Campbell played in an era when we were blessed with an abundance of class players.Maybe his loyalty to an unfashionable

club prevented him from caps, who knows. There is one thing I know as you mention dc he would have walked into the present Scotland setup.

Had Liam been playing down south or for one of the OF I reckon he might have been capped already. Certainly would have featured for the U21s.

Yup and even if he'd been half the player he is just now. (Correction probably only true if he'd been playing for Old Firm team.)

Edited by Mr Bunny

Read all the posts re Liam Lindsay , think I must be missing something , Scotland caps etc. At this moment Liam Lindsay shouldn't even be a first choice for PTFC , I'm sure if we had other defensive options he would be nurtured properly and Archie would pick and choose what games to play him in. Yesterday was a perfect example as Scott McDonald etc used their experience to pull Lindsay , Devine and Barton all over the place.

In time Liam Lindsay might become a good player for PTFC and learn to play his position but too many times this season he's been caught out and we've lost bad goals.

Talk of Scotland recognition at this moment are absolutely nonsense.

The criticism some have levelled at Lindsay reminds of one or two overly vociferous detractors of O'Donnell. Stephen learned to improve and we really missed him when he moved on.

Liam will learn and improve. Sure, he's not ready for Scotland yet but he's good enough to develop and play a solid role at Thistle.

• Like 1

Read all the posts re Liam Lindsay , think I must be missing something , Scotland caps etc. At this moment Liam Lindsay shouldn't even be a first choice for PTFC , I'm sure if we had other defensive options he would be nurtured properly and Archie would pick and choose what games to play him in. Yesterday was a perfect example as Scott McDonald etc used their experience to pull Lindsay , Devine and Barton all over the place.

In time Liam Lindsay might become a good player for PTFC and learn to play his position but too many times this season he's been caught out and we've lost bad goals.

Talk of Scotland recognition at this moment are absolutely nonsense.

Playing against an opponent like McDonald, who has played at a very high level, will be great for Lindsay as he will learn how to deal with someone like that.

To suggest he isn't already a good player for thistle is hysterical nonsense.

Playing against an opponent like McDonald, who has played at a very high level, will be great for Lindsay as he will learn how to deal with someone like that.

To suggest he isn't already a good player for thistle is hysterical nonsense.

Hysterical nonsense ? , have you've seen some of the goals we've lost this season , yesterday was a perfect example , jury's out on on the first goal whether there was a lack of communication between the keeper and Liam , nevertheless a ridiculous goal to lose.

Second goal Liam Lindsay didn't match Scott Macdonald 's run which resulted in a goal .

Good defenders don't lose goals like that and Archie over the last 4 games has reverted to a back 3 to try and shore up our defence which has been leaking goals . Liam Lindsay in time might become a valuable asset for PTFC but IMO has some way to go.