Sevco....the First Ever Visit To Firhill 26/11/2016

Lindau

Have absolutely no idea why we are getting involved in a debate around the scum of Scottish football. Unfortunately they exist and dwell among us, thankfully supporting Thistle is purely about football and devoid of any notion of bigotry I'll take that any day over anything that either side of the divide offers.

Let's not get hung up on their failings we won't fix it but when we can we should shine a light on it and remind others there is an alternative.

• Like 1

I have come up with the following team for the game tomorrow and will be interested in others' thoughts. The general theme is that this is a game to be played with pace and on the front foot

Goalkeeper

CERNY if fit. If not then STUCKMANN.

Three at the back

GORDON-Maybe a surprise, but I think that by now he will have learned his lesson that he is not better than his colleagues and cannot walk into the team. My choice at right wingback (see below) needs a solid and intelligent defender behind him. Gordon with Hamilton has good experience of scrapping against Celtic and other strong teams. Devine to the bench this time.

BARTON-Cool head, carry the ball forward and ping some passes.

LINDSAY-Goal machine and maturing all the time!

Wingbacks

AMOO-Another surprise perhaps. Elliot has done well and was especially effective against Dundee. However, this is not so much a game where a powerful and determined individual has to match up against similar types from other teams. Speed and skill will be at a premium here and Amoo's ability to eliminate players (as shown v St Johnstone) with wing trickery may unlock the Rangers defence. Once he gets past the likes of Wallace or Tavernier they may not be able to catch him. While not a crunching tackler he does cover back well. He also knows the route to goal and I fancy him to nick one tomorrow.

BOOTH-Getting back to his best and must have the courage to drive on and shoot.

Midfield

OSMAN-Hold and cover everything and generally keep their midfield under lock and key.

EDWARDS-Poor game last week, but I am sure he will bounce back. May be a little more defensive than his favoured role, but I do not want him solely as a second holding midfielder. We need his energy all over the pitch, just being combative and in their faces, getting on the ball as much as possible and driving forward in Banniganesque fashion. Welsh has done well recently and is unlucky to lose his place, but I see him as a good option from the bench this particular week. I would be worried that Rangers have some nimble midfield and forward players who could steal the ball off him, if he were to delay even for a split second.

ERSKINE (behind the front 2)-Did not get into the game at Motherwell, but he is our most accomplished performer and we need him to be on the pitch. Back to the goal did not suit him and we want to see him running forwards with the ball, creating fear in defenders as neither he nor they know which way he is going to go. Time for a special solo goal, preferably with a dinked finish. Give his all and then let Lawless on to finish the job. Stevie looked revitalised last week and could cause some late excitement.

Forwards

AZEEZ Will put himself about and win and hold up ball. Hopefully the management team have found the secret of coaching composure at the vital moment. Would love to see him score at Firhill tomorrow.

DOOLAN Maybe should be doing a little more to impose himself on a game, but in the end he is there to score goals and we know that given the chance he will do so,

PREDICTION-PARTICK THISTLE 3 (Azeez, Amoo, Erskine) SEVCO 0, but would settle for 1-0, 2-1 or any other winning combination.

Edited by partickthedog

We cant and shouldn't change the formation. Last game aside it has boded us well. Agree with PTD team in the most. If Gordon cant perform then the only teams chasing him in the summer will be Ayr United. Not sure about Amoo at wingback although agree we need someone who is willing to run at there players. Erskine behind the front two is correct. As I said yesterday though, its not only about team selection, its about what we do with the ball in possession. We need to show a decent level of composure on the ball. They will have looked at our game last week and highlighted how when pressured we resort to ultimately lose the ball. We need players like Erskine to be on the ball to open the door. If we go out and sit back the result wont go in our favour.