Sellik 09/12/16

Lindau

How is it? He jumps far too early and is nearly on his way down when the ball reaches him. EVERY time

Not really sure why you're having the debate , I'd be more inclined to question why we're launching the ball to Doolan who hasn't really got a physical presence , play to his strengths and he'll score goals as he's proved time and again.

dibble, on 10 December 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

My biggest issue is that we are nearly at Xmas and Archie doesn't know his best team or formation,

You know this, how?

I think it's very clear Archie doesn't.t know what his best team is. Apart from booth, Lindsay, Osman and welsh it's been chop and change all season. Amoo on the the left on the right , in the team or out , Eliiott at full back then left mid, lawless in and out Edwards in and out , erskine in and out - the list goes on. 3 at the back , 4 at the back.

It's not last nights result that I am getting at- the level of player we have means we really need to get to a settled team and formation rather than throwing the dice every couple of weeks in the hope of something working.

How is it? He jumps far too early and is nearly on his way down when the ball reaches him. EVERY time

ETA. Were in a dog fight because our players arent good enough. RE. Elliot, he needs to have more to his game than 'running his bollocks off'

presumably the other teams are in a dogfight as well because they aren't good enough which probably includes another 5 or 6 teams in the league.

Do you actually go to any games ? , absolutely serious question or do you just watch from a TV screen to get your analysis .

• Like 1

Looking at the bigger picture, what worries me most is we seem to have made no progression during our stay in the top flight. The quality of football we are producing is, at best, the same as when we first were promoted. After this amount of time and financial stability the entertainment and skill quotient should at least be approaching mid-table/good cup run level. Other teams (St Johnstones etc) don't have the rabbit in the headlights mentality that we have when playing Rangers, Celtic etc and that is the level we should be at.

See when you watch the game 'live' and watch it on TV, you get a slightly different view of the game. Id suggest you watch the full game back and tell me what you think. I don't see how my attendance matters in my analysis. Ive been to enough games put it that way

Says it all

What does?

Can you really see what goes on in a football game from a TV screen , the majority of the game shown on TV is by the cameras following the ball , it doesn't show everything that happens off the ball, movement of players when they haven't got the ball etc.

IMO you can't really appraise players etc if you're only watching it on TV

• Like 1

Re Elliott being singled out, the only time he's ever really played well is full back using his only attributes power, strength and he puts a shift in.

The guy couldn't get a game in our championship winning team yet unbelievably finds himself starting wide left now and being asked to create when it's obvious to everyone he isn't up to that at this level, as I said earlier Archie seems to have bought into if your athletic you are a footballer which sadly isn't the case with a lot of our squad.

• Like 1

Can you really see what goes on in a football game from a TV screen , the majority of the game shown on TV is by the cameras following the ball , it doesn't show everything that happens off the ball, movement of players when they haven't got the ball etc.

IMO you can't really appraise players etc if you're only watching it on TV

100% correct. TV helps re contentious decisions (offsides and penalty claims etc) but as a method of judging a match in general, or an individual player's performance, it comes a distant second. How many times have you watched a game on telly, on maybe some miserable midweek winter night, and the camera pans into some well known top manager sitting freezing in the stand? Often enough to tell you that if TV was anywhere remotely the equal of watching a match in the ground these managers would be elsewhere.

• Like 1

The afternoon after the night before:

First goal: Armstrong runs thirty metres unmatched by any Thistle player (Osman, Welsh where were you??).

Second goal: Free kick in a relatively nothing area: Armstrong allowed to control and tee up his strike unencumbered by anyone in a Jags shirt.

Third goal: Sixteen seconds after we have kicked off - unacceptable at any level of football (under 12s included).

I understand that they are way better than us, and particularly so since Rodgers has arrived, but it does not excuse us getting the basics wrong as the above emphasises.

Do you think we could all calm down about. We lost against the best team in the league, so what? I didn't see all the goals but from what I gather 2 and 3 were down to sloppy play on our part. For me, this is what we have to focus on and try to eradicate from our game. But at present we can compete with every other time bar Celtic and the more negative comments on here are just depressing to read. I did criticise Liam for his lack of action at Celtic's first but he did ever so well for our goal. More of that Liam please. As for the 'penalty incident'. Once again, Ade's first touch let him down and from memory I thought Craig Gordon attempted to pull his arm out of the way, only making neglible contact, if any. Never a penalty, but a yellow card seemed harsh. But dems the rules these days.

What seems to be missed in this is the way that Gordon moves his right leg quite deliberately into Ade's path and attempts to pull it away. Even the slightest contact in this case (and I believe that there was) makes it a no brainer. Furthermore, if you take a swing and miss at an opponent (with your fist or foot) then there is intent to commit foul play. For that you get penalised. Gordon moves his leg to block Aziz, when the ball is already past him, as a consequence there is intent. He should have been scanctioned.

What seems to be missed in this is the way that Gordon moves his right leg quite deliberately into Ade's path and attempts to pull it away. Even the slightest contact in this case (and I believe that there was) makes it a no brainer. Furthermore, if you take a swing and miss at an opponent (with your fist or foot) then there is intent to commit foul play. For that you get penalised. Gordon moves his leg to block Aziz, when the ball is already past him, as a consequence there is intent. He should have been scanctioned.

Gordon should have been sent off and a penalty given. I heard it said that the referee was unsighted but in that case how could he award a yellow for diving? He knew what happened and didn't want to punish celtic so punished the Thistle player.

Gordon should have been sent off and a penalty given. I heard it said that the referee was unsighted but in that case how could he award a yellow for diving? He knew what happened and didn't want to punish celtic so punished the Thistle player.

It was never a foul, let alone a penalty.

As if that would ever have made a difference to the result anyway.

I know what your trying to say about watching games on the TV and being at the game. Ive been to enough games to know how we play and what we do. Some of our players were playing as if the ball was a hot tattie, they couldn't get rid of it quick enough, more often than not resulting in an aimless kick. This happens every time a team closes us down, not just celtic or rangers or the so called bigger teams. I haven't by any means singled out Elliot here, they were all guilty of it

BT sport team are adamant that Craig Gordon should have been sent off when he brought Ade down......strange how we never get these 50/50 decisions

Is it not now just a yellow the keeper would receive?