Sellik 09/12/16

Lindau

Are the players good enough to achieve our aspirations?

How many mistakes does it take to learn? Im sure as fuk most people in their line of work would be heavily questioned at best if they continually kept costing their business or company money, or in our case 3 points. The first question that would get asked is, does he know what he doing? followed closely by, is he good enough at his job?

Lets take Welsh for example, he gets the ball outside our 18 yard box, he kicks it as hard as he can in the direction he facing off an opponent losing possession when there was a simple pass out to an unmarked team mate. Now, did he have a clue what he was doing? Was that good enough?

Im not scapegoating welsh, there are a few that would have done, and have done, the same thing. You also have to ask yourself, why do we do that?

Are the players good enough to achieve our aspirations? If our aspirations are to compete with everyone else who has aspirations of finishing in the coveted final top 6 place. Yes. They are doing that as we speak.

How many mistakes does it take to learn? Everyone's different, some take longer than others, therefore more mistakes will be made. What we need are players on the park who can step up to allow others to make mistakes. What we need are fans who accept that at our level, mistakes will be made. Lindsay for their 3rd for example.

The first question that would get asked is, does he know what he doing? Manager or players? Manager he clearly does. Players you hope so and if not, that they learn.

Followed closely by, is he good enough at his job? Only time will tell. It's our job as fans to give players time to adapt and learn.

Lets take Welsh for example, he gets the ball outside our 18 yard box, he kicks it as hard as he can in the direction he facing off an opponent losing possession when there was a simple pass out to an unmarked team mate. Now, did he have a clue what he was doing? Was that good enough? I'm not scapegoating welsh, there are a few that would have done, and have done, the same thing. You also have to ask yourself, why do we do that?

I don't think Welsh is necessarily guilty of that. He is however guilty of having absolutely no awareness of what's around him and therefore how much time he has on the ball. Every week he is robbed by players, from behind. Edwards is guilty of the same, but no where near as much as Welsh.

The passing it the way you are facing thing I'd say Liam is prone to that when he's in trouble. Celtic's third he opts to pass to Elliott who has dropped deep inside and taken his man with him. Creating space down the left wing. The correct ball was to pass to the unmarked Booth who then had the whole left wing to attack. Liam chose Elliott.

Edited by potty trained

Metz, to say we should only be above Hamilton due to budgets and attendances, that is a lot of sh1te. Look at inverness for example, they have been in this league for nearly a decade. In that time this is the 1st season they have really struggled. Its bound to happen eventually. They have been a fairly successful team in that time also. Their crowds are worse than ours, budget is similar. We have been here for what is now our 4th season. We are in the same position as we were in each of the 3 that preceded it. They have been in numerous finals/semi finals, weve been to 1 in maybe 30 or 40 years

I'll put it down to your general negative disposition that you only read what you want to see. Nowhere did I say we should only be above Hamilton, I repeat we can only "expect" to finish above Hamilton. We should and as far as I am concerned do aim to finish higher in the league. To date we have achieved those aims comfortably, this season isn't going as well as any true Thistle fan would want but it is far from over and we very much have our destiny in our own hands.

It's interesting how you seem to put a positive spin on other teams achievements but have nothing but negativity towards the team you claim to "support".

• Like 1

My late thoughts of the game.

Fans - how can the team be accused of giving up when some fans give up. Not going due to move to Main Stand or Celtic fans daft songs are poor excuses IMHO. I go knowing there is a good chance of defeat but I'm there in hope and defiance. To show the ugly ones there are Jags fans out there who reject their nonsense and love my club. There was a wee guy about 10 on his own kicking every ball. He deserved MOTM as he's not taken the easy path with the Old Firm. I like the Main Stand for a change of view, no great love for JHS and we need the £ at the gate.

Team - alright for 30 mins but still have this aura of Celtic. They knocked it about and are good but we should be giving them a tougher game. Elliot looked to be set up to defend against Roberts and Izaguire more than attack. Booth was decent. Amoo needs to have more confidence and aggression at taking people on. Dools was not getting enough support. 1st goal was poor. 2nd goal was terrible then heads down. We really miss Banzo for midfield and Dumbaya to press the right side.

• Like 1

Ok agree with LLD.

Pitiful that some fans appear terrified of the OF. I agree that they are distasteful but please, support your team.

In the unlikely event of us beating them, you would be missing a glorious orgy of celebration. Wasn't far off 2 weeks ago.

On the subject of the team,

I don't think we would be bottom if Banzo had been playing this year.

Christie was great at RB. Why is Gordon back in again?

I now think Archie has been too faithful. Welsh and Gordon have had the odd good game but far too many bad ones. Azeez will never score and Devine is dud. To improve we must replace those not performing, if not out the club, then out the team.

Logically I agree about where Jags should aspire to. But all fans should believe we will achieve something fantastic one day. Like winning a cup. To Hell with logic, let's encourage the team to great heights.

• Like 1

There seem to be a minority of posters on here who think we are already relegated despite being 4 points away from the top 6 after half the season.

It is a minority, there are no more than 4 or 5 of them, but it seems like more due to the sheer volume of posts they accumulate, and the repetitiveness of their arguments.

I notice that some of these posters don't even live in the country, let alone attend matches regularly.

So I say to them - if you truly believe we are down already, why bother anymore?

Why bother yourselves with the club at all for the next 6 months? Why bother wasting your time posting on here? Why bother trying so hard to infect everyone else with your contagious brand of illogical pessimism?

If you really believe we are already a lost cause, do yourselves a favour and leave the rest of us to it?

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

I think constructive criticism can only be beneficial and is probably the only way to get better. Same as if we all viewed things the same way, we might be blind to obvious faults. At the end of the day we all want the same thing. We've already had someone suggest that if you expect to see us win every week we should watch someone else instead (the Rob Roy are doing well btw) and "leave the rest of us to it". These are nothing but divisive comments at a time when we need to really support the club. My opinion will be different to someone else, just like everyone, some will agree some will disagree. That's life.

• Like 1

There seem to be a minority of posters on here who think we are already relegated despite being 4 points away from the top 6 after half the season.

It is a minority, there are no more than 4 or 5 of them, but it seems like more due to the sheer volume of posts they accumulate, and the repetitiveness of their arguments.

I notice that some of these posters don't even live in the country, let alone attend matches regularly.

So I say to them - if you truly believe we are down already, why bother anymore?

Why bother yourselves with the club at all for the next 6 months? Why bother wasting your time posting on here? Why bother trying so hard to infect everyone else with your contagious brand of illogical pessimism?

If you really believe we are already a lost cause, do yourselves a favour and leave the rest of us to it?

I am all for people having an opinion, but did not comment after the Sellik game as I just knew the regular "5 minutes after the game has finished and we have got beat" posters would be on. I wasn't to be disappointed!! Think we competed well against them in the first half, except for a basic error again preventing us from going in all square. Start of the 2nd half was shocking, but if Welshs header had stood and Gordon had got sent off it might have been a different game. All ifs and buts and again, it's only my opinion, but I don't think we were as bad as some on here have pointed out!

Edited by Lindau

We need to hang on to the coat tails for the next few games and hopefully kick on from there. Interesting to see that Hamiltons next 5 games are

Celtic a

Rangers h

Celtic h

Aberdeen a

Local derby Motherwell h

Can't see them pulling too far away from us, given that fixture list.

Edited by Lindau

What I take heart from is that nobody has had a good season so far - indeed our 'big' players ( Doolan, Cerny, Osman, Lawless, Erskine ) have all been injured / rotten. If these players come into form in the second half the top 6 can be attained.

Very valid point. Other than Barton and he hasn't played too many games, nobody has hit the ground this season. Never, ever imagined me saying this, but Ryan Scully would be exempt from that as he was playing very well until he got injured

Monehjags - It goes beyond constructive criticism, you must be aware of that?

I have more than a few criticisms of Friday night and the season in general. But you know what, I'm reluctant to voice any of them online at the moment, as I think the slagging being dished out is so bad that I don't think that decent criticism can really find a voice in amongst that. So in a lot of ways you are self-defeating.

In your case, is there really any need to post as often as you do making the same points about Archie and your lack of faith in him as a manager? I'm sure we all get it by now - you don't think he's up to the job.

And as for you being beneficial - to who exactly? Do you think Archie and the players really come on here?

• Like 1

Obviously Archie comes on here, he must have to have got the 5 3 2 formation. :D

Seriously though, what I mean is, if we have opinions, as long as it is constructive, its worth voicing them. I dont think Ive ever just slated or went on a pointless rant with the view to just wind people up or as PT likes to say 'troll'. If I make the same points its usually because the weekend before is repeated. I give out credit when its due, so far this season, they moments have been few and far between. As far as Archie goes, he will get my full backing along with the players, that's a given, regardless of how thin my patience is wearing.

Lets hear your decent criticism then.

How many points did we get against them under Deila?

How many points did we get against them under whoever it was before Deila?

Answers on a postcard, please......

My point is no one is getting anything off this Celtic game this season. So our chances of that glory moment is unlikely if no one else, barring ICT can lay a glove on them. Sadly I don't see that changing next midweek either.

Here is a good selection of results for Celtic this season.

Motherwell 5-0

St. Johnstone 4-2

Aberdeen 4-1

Rangers 5-1

Kilmarnock 6-1

Ross county 4-0

Inverness 3-0

Partick Thistle 4-1

We are in good company

I'm sorry, I'm not having that: in so circumstances whatsoever could I refer to Rangers or Killie as "good company"

I'm almost certain it does but unsure how much, I do have vague memory of red card appeals being £1500 and refunded if successful. Tony Watt won his appeal for Hearts earlier in season ironically after Craig Thomson also carded him for simulation.

Really is time the officials are challenged more and I use ICT v Hamilton as an example at weekend wherein Seabourne blatanly stops a goal in the box with his hand and nothing is given so you could argue for second successive week Hamilton have gained an extra point when really they should have had none. First week it cost us an additional 2 points and likewise ICT on Saturday. At seasons end these point swings could be the difference between 10th,11th and bottom places.