Jambos 17/12/16

Garscube Road End

not really, the starting line up was similar to the Hamilton game in which we had an awful first half too. It looked as if it wasn;t until the creativity of Barton was moved into the midfeild that we started playing today.

Barton was in the line up Gaz. It was the same team on the pitch that turned the game around. Your post said there was not enough creativity in that team. There was enough creativity in the team....all it needed was a bit of tinkering from the manager!

From the BBC: Ade Adeez was played through one-on-one with Hamilton and should have scored.

They might as well just add that to their report for every match.

To be fair Jagger, the keeper produced a good save. Too much criticism of Azeez on here. The big fella played his part and rummelled em up yesterday and I do like it when we play with two up top. If he could just add finishing to his all round play, though that would probably mean he wouldn't be at Firhill

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Granted I'm judging my opinion on the highlights only but Azeez seemed to have a decent game.

His pressure on the defence and hold up play were decent but you can clearly see how low on confidence he is when he gets anywhere near the goal.

He needs a goal, doesn't matter how it goes in, to get his confidence up.

• Like 2

A decent point. Hearts had a couple of good chances in the first half, and we had several in the second half, judging from the highlights.

From the BBC: Ade Adeez was played through one-on-one with Hamilton and should have scored.

They might as well just add that to their report for every match.

I think though that Doolans one on one was a better chance

• Like 1

' I didn't really think Barton had that good a game in either half but moving him into midfield was definitely the catalyst that kick started our game. Could even argue that Sean Welsh wouldn't have been so far forward for the goal if he hadn't been relieved of much of his defensive duties.

I wonder if that could be the key to our whole season? If we can get a decent central defence sorted in the transfer window and push the Barton in behind the midfielders we may at last see Welsh and/or Osman get into the box more. The lack of times we follow up behind good forward play is shocking and a lot of it is to do with the Osman /Welsh partnership sitting too deep.

Welsh has chiped in a couple of good goals recently and Osman too at Perth because of getting into the opposition box but it's far too rare an event

Barton was in the line up Gaz. It was the same team on the pitch that turned the game around. Your post said there was not enough creativity in that team. There was enough creativity in the team....all it needed was a bit of tinkering from the manager!

Ach , you knew what i meant. We started with one real creative player and had to move him out of position when we had the likes of Erskine and Lawless on the bench

Shades of the Hamilton game. I wasn't at the game so I would'n want to start and argument with you Lindau

The big question is now what formation do we start with and where do we play Barton now.

Edited by angry gaz

Just shows how we all see games differently. We went for a quick pint after the game and a couple of Hearts supporters were asking who the big, shaggy haired guy was in the team. They were very impressed

Possibly didn't express myself that well. I think Barton can play a good bit better than he did yesterday. He still had a good game and I'm not surprised he impressed opposition fans.

I wonder if that could be the key to our whole season? If we can get a decent central defence sorted in the transfer window and push the Barton in behind the midfielders we may at last see Welsh and/or Osman get into the box more. The lack of times we follow up behind good forward play is shocking and a lot of it is to do with the Osman /Welsh partnership sitting too deep.

Welsh has chiped in a couple of good goals recently and Osman too at Perth because of getting into the opposition box but it's far too rare an event

Good points. I sense Barton is the key to how well we do. The relative ease we changed formation yesterday was impressive and I feel Adam's integral to that. Mind Ian McCall saying to me that players shouldn't really have much trouble changing formation during a game. Because I was behind the goal yesterday it's more difficult to see these changes. But all I think happened yesterday was Barton moved out of the back three and Elliott and Booth went more orthodox. As long as the players are all singing from the same hymn sheet there's nothing to stop us do that two or three times over 90 mins. But Barton who's comfortable in two or three positions is definitely the key to such flexibility. That's maybe albeit at a different level why McCall always liked Jamie Adam?

Agree entirely about getting Welsh into the box more often. He does have an eye for a goal and keeps the heid. Not so sure about getting Abdul that far forward but he is very useful putting in short crosses from just outside the box. That's something he could maybe be able to do more often.

Ach , you knew what i meant. We started with one real creative player and had to move him out of position when we had the likes of Erskine and Lawless on the bench

Shades of the Hamilton game. I wasn't at the game so I would'n want to start and argument with you Lindau

The big question is now what formation do we start with and where do we play Barton now.

I don't look to start arguments with anyone Gaz, unless they become abusive (and I am not referring to you here) Totally uncalled for. We are all jags fans and it would be a dull place if we all agreed on everything. My only point on posting that load of quotes is that is what we come to expect between 3-5 at an away game....sometimes even at home games. The usual Sean Welsh/Ade Azeez posts. The slating of the manager on occasions for his formation. No wonder Sean was cupping his ears yesterday. Do what it says on the tin....support your club. I have seen too many shocking Jags sides in the lower divisions over the years, which makes me appreciate more the job that Archie has done on a very low budget! Re the Hamilton game, it was totally different. We didn't run all over Accies the way we did against Hearts in the second half yesterday. Probably the best 2nd half performance from an Archie side since he took over, taking into account the opposition!

Edited by Lindau

It's worth reminding ourselves that the Hearts half-time substitutions did anything but help them.

Both Devine and Osman still pose a risk of being penalised in dangerous positions, although, fortunately, we ended up keeping possession away from our goal for much more of the second half, and Cerny is back at his dependable best. He and a few others kept persisting with aimless punts up the park (not to mention out of it!) which did much to contribute to Hearts' possession. Given the porous nature of our defence, that is suicidal - or would be against a better organised team.

and Cerny is back at his dependable best. He and a few others kept persisting with aimless punts up the park (not to mention out of it!) which did much to contribute to Hearts' possession. Given the porous nature of our defence, that is suicidal

Hey, Fearchar! Get your own gripe. That one's mine. :)

The chances we created were stick on goals, shame we couldnt take one of them. Welsh's header was the most difficult of the lot. My only criticism i would have of Edwards is, i wish he was braver/harder in a tackle. There was a lot more i could see which was positive going forward than i have seen for quite a while.

My only criticism i would have of Edwards is, i wish he was braver/harder in a tackle.

Could be a case of being careful what you wish for. Just my opinion but I don't think Ryan is a very clean tackler and if he was a bit more robust might get carded too often or do himself an injury. Bit like Bannigan a few seasons ago.

From the highlights it sounds as if there was a large and vocal support for the Jags. Well done to everybody who followed the team to Tynecastle.

535 Jags there I think.

First half we weren't great neither were Hearts, imo.

Second half credit to Archie and the players.

When Erskine came on we really should have gone on to win. Feels like two points dropped rather than one gained.

Doolan missed a sitter but that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, although Hamilton may have got a touch too it?

Hamilton being given MOTM tells it's own story. Galls doing a good job on the coaching front.

So does that make Lindsay and Welsh our top scorers this season?

Azeez AND Doolan need to start taking their chances and we will soon move up the table. If they dont?

535 Jags there I think.

First half we weren't great neither were Hearts, imo.

Second half credit to Archie and the players.

When Erskine came on we really should have gone on to win. Feels like two points dropped rather than one gained.

Doolan missed a sitter but that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, although Hamilton may have got a touch too it?

Hamilton being given MOTM tells it's own story. Galls doing a good job on the coaching front.

So does that make Lindsay and Welsh our top scorers this season?

Azeez AND Doolan need to start taking their chances and we will soon move up the table. If they dont?

Hamilton saved it, but you are right, we need at least one of the two to start contributing on the goal scoring front. I thought both of them played really well on Saturday and I do prefer it when we play two up front, though I can't see that happening tomorrow. No surprise that Azeez got the pelters for his miss, from most on here, rather than Doolan. In my opinion Doolans was an easier chance than Ade's.

See if we had one more fairly decent centre back to allow Barton to move into midfield and someone with better finishing, I don't think we would have any problems finishing teams off for the rest of the season.

Liam Lindsay our top scorer this season then? A defender, come on man. Shows what we are lacking up front.

I know what you mean LIB, although i dont necessarily think its him not being a clean tackler. At the beginning of the season he was flying in to them but he was a second or two late and was no where near the ball and liable to get into trouble. Its the 50/50 balls im talking about he loses they battles too easily. Hes been a far better option this season though.

Would have taken a point before hand but with us being bottom of the league we could really have done with the win.

We've missed some absolute sitters this season but that 2nd half really took the biscuit in that respect. Could easily have finished 5-1 to us given our dominance and the glaring chances we had in front of goal.

Just out of interest, who coaches our strikers during training?

A few times this season I would loved to have seen our striker draw the ball

back to is left foot for his shot, which can often send the defenders and keeper the wrong way, leaving time and space for a clean strike.

I can't blame anyone for having a go but too often our shots are predictable and easily blocked.

You got brackets to keep you from the riff-raff around here, with bold and an exclamation mark! What more do you want? :D

:D

Serious point we agree on, tho'. Could make all the difference tomorrow night. Aimless punts up the park and we could be chasing shadows most of the evening. They'll have most of the possession as it is without gifting them more.

• Like 1