Our 9 Games Pre Split

Auld Jag

With our points and goal difference advantage, and looking at the respective run ins of ourselves, Dundee and Killie, a win next week could put us on the cusp of the top 6.

A win against Killie is now more important to us finishing top six than getting the three points from ICT. Every point dropped puts more pressure on the following game.

Edited by scotty

Killie 4 games after us are ICT a Rangers h Celtic a and Hearts h.

Therefore I think it's important we don't lose next week and if we can match Killies results I think that would be enough for top 6.

If your of the opinion that Dundee are still in the top 6 mix, their next 5 are, Celtic h Aberdeen h County a Hearts a and Hamilton h.

So I think making sure we don't lose at Killie is vital. After that we have a 2 week break which I think will help our current injury problems. We are in the best position we have ever been in to get into top 6, it's in our own hands which is all we can ask for.

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

Ours is the only game that matters. Unlike past seasons where we might be counting points that we don't have from games in hand that we never win, this season we have the points on the board and others can only lose points or share them among themselves.

Not losing to Killie and matching their run is a good point from Vinnyjag.

the other games this weekend really don't matter either way (unless Dundee beat Celtic by more than 5). A share of the points is probably the best result in all games as no-one moves BUT we can shrug our shoulders if any of the other teams take all 3 points.

1. Aberdeen v Hearts - no consequence to our season

2. ICT v County - A relegation battle where an ICT win might be preferred but it has a share of the points written all over it and County can't catch us without 2 results and a 14 point goal advantage.

3. The Tractor Drivers v The Mighty Jags - goes without saying that a Doolan hat-trick is on the cards

4. Motherwell v St Johnstone - If Motherwell win we still have a minimum 3 point gap and massive GD advantage and it puts us closer to StJ. Other way round and that's Motherwell pretty much out of the top 6 running which is good for us too.

5. Rangers v Accies - Always to here of a bad for the current buns and an Accies win certainly wouldn't spoil my weekend. Other way round and it maintains fresh air between us and the bottom - I'll shrug my shoulders now at this non event.

6. Dundee v Celtic - Similar to 5 in some respects as the onslaught of tears is probably the only hope of sanitation for the great unwashed. So while I don't really want to see Dundee picking up points this weekend it warms the cockles of my stone cold heart when the mancky mob don't get it their own way.

All in all a good weekend to be a Jag I think.

A win on Saturday would just be a giant mountain of cream on top of a strawberry sauce laden 99 from Jaconelli's...

Aberdeen v Hearts could still have a consequence. I'd very much like Aberdeen to win

Agree with the rest

I do like your thinking but I suspect you've read too much into Richie Foran describing us as a top 4 club.

On the other hand Hearts and St Johnstone will be trying to take points from each other on the 5th of April so we might look to capitalise on that at Celtic Park the same evening. Hmmmmmmmm....

I do like your thinking but I suspect you've read too much into Richie Foran describing us as a top 4 club. On the other hand Hearts and St Johnstone will be trying to take points from each other on the 5th of April so we might look to capitalise on that at Celtic Park the same evening. Hmmmmmmmm....

I have been targeting Hearts since their form dipped after Cathro took over. We are 8 points behind them with 10 games to play. We still have to play them (assuming we make top 6) and we have a pretty mean defense. I'd certainly like to keep the options open for as long as possible.

When you look at the fixtures of the teams around us (and I mean the teams competing for 6th rather than anyone below that) despite us having to play both OF teams away from home I still think we have the best fixtures. 2 very winnable home games and an extremely do-able trip to Killie. If we can pick up 7 points before the split I can't see anyone else beating us to the top 6.

It's kinda weird that for much of the season I (and I suppose many others) have been wanting Hearts and St Johnstone to take points off the six clubs currently beneath us. Get into this top six business and I'll no doubt be wishing they'd not done quite so well.

Allow me some ifs and buts....

Truth tho' we've only got ourselves to blame for the current gap. "Blame" maybe not quite the right word but neither of the home defeats to St Johnstone were too clever nor gifting the Jambos all 3 points with a last minute goal. More pure bad luck than anything else but only coming away from Tynecastle with a draw was also disappointing. Had we only drawn our home games against those two and picked up a deserved win at Tynecastle, hardly unreasonable "ifs", we'd be equal on points with Hearts and two ahead of St Johnstone.

I'll be as chuffed as anyone if we come out in the top half of the split. It will mean a lot in terms of status. planning and finance. The split, tho', is still a lot of nonsense and kicks against what any league is set up to provide, a fair representation of the participating teams. That cannot be reached playing uneven numbers of home and away games. Tho' far from ideal a league of 14 clubs could at least ensure some sort of parity (each team plays home and away, split 7/7, play each other home and away, making 38 games in total). Anyway meantime it's possible, quite likely, that if we do get in the top six the gap between 5th and 6th place will be too much to overcome and we'll play out a few games that could be termed of academic interest. If nothing else that would give the chronic moaners something to grumble about. :)

• Like 1

The major European football leagues are pretty much in the minority when it comes down to deciding the champions. Rugby league and union have playoffs of some sort. So does Baseball and American football and a bunch of other sports. Admittedly these involve only some of the clubs in the leagues, but it is still the norm now to have "post season" matches to decide the winners and losers. I think it isn't really a bad thing for Scottish football that there is something for the less likely teams to be playing for. It generates some extra incentive particularly at this time of the season and keeps fans interested.

...and we'll play out a few games that could be termed of academic interest.

It will be of no interest to the Academicals but it will have a significant effect on our bank balance as we'll be due two home visits from the ugly sisters as well as the league position payment being much higher.

• Like 1

It will be of no interest to the Academicals but it will have a significant effect on our bank balance as we'll be due two home visits from the ugly sisters as well as the league position payment being much higher.

I guess that what I was meaning when I said " It will mean a lot in terms of status. planning and finance". :)

We will also be in a position to let some of the youth players get a proper run-out for once. That would be good as there are several knocking on the door and well worth a look at.

whats the bets if we finish 6th we will end up with lower points than 7/8th place, the SPFL will change the rules after the last day and demote us down into the bottom 6? or is that me just being paranoid and daft!

It would be a surprise if the 6th team did not have less points than 7th. It happens nearly every season.

As for being paranoid .... yes.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

If we are still 10 points ahead of the bottom 2 at the split I'd reckon we are safe as I can't see them getting 4 or 5 wins in the last 5 games while we get hardly anything. We may very well be in the top 6 if we still have that gap. Thing is if we end up bottom 6 we may have lost enough points for the gap to be smaller. Of course we would still be favourites to stay up but it wouldn't be a stick-on certainty.

It would be a surprise if the 6th team did not have less points than 7th. It happens nearly every season.

And for a very simple reason. 6th has to play against the top 3 or 4 teams who are usually significantly stronger than the rest of the league while 7th will have played only against teams round about them. Having said that, with no pressure on us, if we were in the top 6, it's not outrageous to think we might take points of these teams (maybe not Celtic).

Edited by Mr Bunny

10Points ahead of the bottom 2 are we now safe?Mcintyre said after the highland derby whoever is in the bottom 6 will be in a relegation battle.

McIntyre actually said the teams from sixth down are involved in relegation battle and only the team that scrapes 6th will avoid it.

I think if we had held on to our lead today we would have finished top six, even if we lost our remaining four fixtures before the split. Pretty positive a win against Ross County in a fortnight will be enough.

Looking at the fixtures for the teams below us if we win our 2 home games that should be enough for top 6 for us.Really dont want to go into our last game against sevco looking for something to ensure we get that top 6 place.We are Thistle we dont do anything easily.

• 3 weeks later...