Liam Lindsey's (Relative) Value?

thistle4celtic1

It may be comparing apples and oranges due to different eras, their personal talent level and the overall talent level at time of transfer but I'm sure some sort of comparison of Liam's worth can be drawn from the Alex Forsyth and Alan Hansen transfers in the early/mid 70's.

There may be a better comparison to someone in the last 35 years I'm not aware of.

Are AF and AH even fair comparisons? I think they both may have been a wee bit ahead of Liam, in terms of skill, though I do believe all three of them, at the time, were/are certainly in the top two players at their position, in the country,

It would be interesting to find out what the going transfer fee for players of their calibre was back then and also what that same transfer fee is now, 40 odd years later.

So what's Liam worth, based on Thistle receiving 100k-110k in the Forsyth and Hanson transfers?

I'm afraid not Hansen and Forsyth were miles ahead of Lindsay. That's not to disparage our young centre back - quality all round has gone down in this country. But back to the comparison: both Hansen and Forsyth played for top English teams and for Scotland - Hansen played in Europe, winning European trophies. Lindsay might play for Scotland yet so could match Forsyth that way but he's not the same class. However Lindsay must be the best young centre back in the SPL at the moment (actually probably the best young Scottish centre back anywhere, though that's faint praise these days).

I think Forsyth and Hansen both went for £100,000. That was in the 70s. I think if you look at these inflation guides that are about on the web you'll see that it's roughly 20 times that in today's money. That is a couple of million. I think we're more likely to get 200,000 with add-ons for Lindsay unless there's an auction. I wonder what we'd get for a young Jackie Campbell these days?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I spoke to Liam at thistle weir last week. I was impressed. Of the hundreds of people a week I speak to he was a genuine listener.

He looked me right in the eye, listened and spoke effortlessly.

His talent is obvious but he will go far as he is clever man who is well brought up.

I hope he stays but wish him luck if he doesn't

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that anyone offering £200k is politely told where to go.

I hope that they are told, very impolitely, where to go. It may be inevitable that Liam moves on to bigger, not better, things. But the bidding ought to start at around 3 million bucks, and not a penny less.

Personally, I hope he see's out his contract with us, and stuff the chump change.

I spoke to Liam at thistle weir last week. I was impressed. Of the hundreds of people a week I speak to he was a genuine listener. He looked me right in the eye, listened and spoke effortlessly. His talent is obvious but he will go far as he is clever man who is well brought up. I hope he stays but wish him luck if he doesn't

What does that actually mean?

What does that actually mean?

Weren't you listening? Lol

I've read articles by harry redknapp and Sam allardyce saying that players who get to the very top do so by their mindset and not just their talent.

As Bill Borthwick of Man Utd says: the mind is the athlete, the body is just the means

• Like 1

I hope that they are told, very impolitely, where to go. It may be inevitable that Liam moves on to bigger, not better, things. But the bidding ought to start at around 3 million bucks, and not a penny less.

Personally, I hope he see's out his contract with us, and stuff the chump change.

Absolute nonsense.

I agree that Hansen and Forsyth were well ahead of Liam. But they were stolen at 100k. I cannot explain to my kids just how good Hansen was. Absolute world class. Like Terry or Kompany. Yes, as good as that.

In the good old days of pre Bosman we could have held on to him indefinitely but of course we, being Thistle would not stand in a young player's way(with 1 obvious exception-Roughie, I hope you are making mega bucks broadcasting!). We were probably skint at the time and of course there wasn't as much money floating about in England at that time.

But I recall being outraged at the 100k tags on both these players at the time. Not to mention Somners transfer to St Mirren!

However I do believe that we would not have finished in the top 6 without Lindsay. Consider the number of goals conceded from set pieces in the years after promotion. This is very rare now . On Saturday Motherwell bombarded us with high balls when they went for broke. They hardly threatened our goal because the back 3 won everything in the air and on the ground. Factor in the difference in income between 6th and 7th and add that on to the fee. That's what he's worth to us.

Archie has had a massive influence on the lad and he has learned quickly this year. In other words he has used his talent. Whether he can improve further under someone else I don't know but he strikes me as the sort of player who is both level headed and eager to improve.

I don't see why he can't play for Scotland. There have been many perfectly good CB's who have performed well for Scotland with similar skill set to Liam e g Holton, McQueen and many others.

Not a penny less than £1m

Also worth noting that West Ham paid around £2 million for Stephen Hendrie, whom SOD had just destroyed in the 5-0 game. Lindsay for me is a more accomplished player although we will never get near that fee for him as West Ham had lost the plot there

Might be wrong but I think it was around half that fee. Still, that's the benchmark we should be looking at for Liam especially as he still has 2 years to run on his contract.

• Like 1

Really hard to say how much Lindsay is worth.

I'd say he was good the first half of the season, and verging on sensational so far in the second half.

He has made huge strides since January, and now probably one of the best centre halfs in Scotland. I certainly can't think of any better left sided ones.

Fair play to Liam for eradicating the errors, and Archie for always sticking by him.

• Like 1

If Billy Gilmour at 15 and without having played a single first team game is being touted by Sevco at £500,000 the bidding for Liam should be starting at a very minimum of £1,000,000.

Quoting the Sevco fantasy propaganda is hardly any kind of argument. If more than one club is interested then we could be looking at between 500K to 1 million but if just one club it will be below that minimum figure. A lot will depend on the strength of the bidding clubs current centre backs and how Lindsay would fit in: if they really need a good new centre back they can be haggled into paying more. A lot will depend what Lindsay is offered - I don't mean just money. He seems a smart young lad so he may consider what the chances of regular first team football are, the "atmosphere" when he is in talks and so on. I think the odds are strongly that he will go but it's just possible he might stay - but I think that will only happen if there is only one club interested.

• 3 weeks later...