Liam Lindsey's (Relative) Value?

thistle4celtic1

250k to Oxford United.... if this happens, it'd be absolutely baffling, no matter what the add ons are. Surely LL could get a much more high profile move - and why would we have agreed to such a low offer (and/or possible release clause)? Totally bizarre for a very highly rated player who's had a great season and been noticed and singled out for praise by the media and other teams and managers.

• Like 1

With two and a half months of the transfer window remaining, and for a player with 2 years remaining on his contract, this seems a bewildering piece of news. If true I can only assume that we have a low value release clause built into his current contract.

all very valid points. I'm also surprised there's no interest yet from higher up leagues in England or other clubs in Scotland. Release clause seems most likely, unless Archie has plans to replace him and wants to act quickly.

If it is £250k and that is possibly what we received for Jack Hendry (which i seriously doubt) it makes it even stranger

Actually think it's quite a good move for Lindsay. He'll walk into the team, which he might not have at a club like Leeds, and will be playing for a team who should be challenging in League One, which is a better situation to be in than potentially struggling in the Championship.

As for the amount of money we've apparently accepted, well... :wacko:

Edited by Roque

Is it worth selling for that money when if we keep him we have a better chance of staying in the division with the TV money ?

I would imagine that the "release" selling price is something that would have been agreed between Thistle and Lindsay's agent. No doubt the agent will always want it lower than the club so the chance of a sale (and him making a bit of money) is increased. If the release price is met then the club has no choice but to accept and try to get the best deal in add-ons, etc. for the club.

This blaming of the club is rather farcical when no one knows what the details of his contract are (not me either, I'm just pointing out the logical possibilities). I was rather mocked a while back for suggesting we might get c. 200K unless there was a couple of clubs bidding. I always go on the pessimistic side of things of course so I'm cheered up when a better than expected result happens, so the price seems OK to me. Hopefully the club has agreed good add-ons.

A good thing though is if the deal goes through now we have a good few weeks before the League cup games start to get a replacement in. We might even be able to sign someone in time to take part in the preseason (to some degree or other anyway).

Edited to add: Does anyone seriously believe that the club don't want as much money as they can get from the player?

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

I'll leave the relative worth, market forces discussion to others. We don't know, and it's not in our interest to know, both the terms of Liam's contract or the terms of this bid.

What we do know is that Oxford aren't noted for big money buys and that Lindsay would be seen to them as just that, even if he's worth more than they're paying. It makes sense from their point of view to buy players at lower than market value and sacrifice future profits on the player by agreeing to unfavourable (to them) add and sell ons. Well that's what I'd like to think could be happening here but we can only guess. One thing tho' that could be in our favour is Liam going to a League One side increases his chances of game time, thus increasing his chances of being sold on at an enhanced price and triggering a sell on. Going to say Leeds for a higher fee but not quite doing the business would most likely result in Liam not generating any more income for us.

To add to Mr Bunny's last sentence the Club these days are all about long term planning, thanks mainly to the Weirs' underwriting. For certain we won't have the same level cash flow worries we had before their arrival on the scene. On a strictly fiscal basis we probably don't need to sell Lindsay at all. That leads credence to us being content with a "slower deal" that's been suggested here. Not too many seasons ago we'd be biting the hand off the club who placed the first bid for any player regardless of his true worth.

eta re sandbank boy's post about Appleton leaving Oxford I read this in one of their websites

His ability to attract young promising players, develop them and move them on for large profits has resulted in other clubs taking notice.
Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

"New club in for Liam Lindsay. Oxford have a very serious rival. Same fee."

"No (not Scottish Club) . Will do a bit on it Sunday maybe. Oxford still expect him down to join next week. But other club more appealing."

Same fee part of this does suggest that the last contract Liam signed probably did have a release clause in it and it's been met. Either that or the "more appealing" club think they can win out on reputation and being able to offer LL better terms. Or I might be speculating bollocks.

Edited by The Prince of Kadriorg

Same fee will just be because its been widely reported that Thistle have accepted a fee of either £250k or £350k, so there is no need for any other club to bid higher for him. Any club with any interest in him now is only going to bid a similar figure.

There might not be a release clause in his contract, but it seems like Thistle must have had an agreement with him that any fee above a certain amount, they wouldn't stand in his way.

Same fee will just be because its been widely reported that Thistle have accepted a fee of either £250k or £350k, so there is no need for any other club to bid higher for him. Any club with any interest in him now is only going to bid a similar figure.

There might not be a release clause in his contract, but it seems like Thistle must have had an agreement with him that any fee above a certain amount, they wouldn't stand in his way.

That's not really how a market works