Ryan Scully

AlgarveJag

According to the 'feeshell site;

"Ryan, who is still only 24, is the youngest known Jag to appear in a matchday squad having sat on the bench for a fixture against Ross County in November 2008 at the age of just 16."

With just one development league game under his belt this season, I thought he gave an incredibly composed and mature performance against Ross County. And probably salvaged the point with at least 2 exceptional saves. According to the BBC County had 16 shots at goal of which 6 were on target (yes, I know Cerny had a couple of great saves before he retired).

I think he deserves a thread to himself for his assured and confident performance on Saturday and for keeping himself match fit and ready to be called into first team action at any time. Caught between having been replaced in the development squad and having Cerny blocking the way into the first team must be frustrating. It's a tough career for goalies.

Well done Ryan!

• Like 2

Thought he looked really confident and his distribution was better than Cerny's

Kinda faint praise :) .

Pars fans a couple of seasons ago thought distribution was Scully's weakest point. Looks to me he's improved a lot with that part of his game. I've heard it said that Cerny's injury went a long way to explaining our poor first half of last season. I'd maintain that Scully's injury at Dens was just as damaging.

At 2-2 Scully got a hand on a cross that pushed it out to one of our defenders, which I believe it was going to a Rangers player. The second goal was a peach, of which Scully got a hand to. He didn't put a foot wrong. It must be dreadful for a goalkeeper to have your defense and midfield sitting on top of you for the last 25 mins of the game. Well done Ryan. An able deputy for Tomas.

Am sorry to disagree. The boy is a good shot stopper but he rarely catches a cross, and really does not give any confidence to our backline. He must have some pretty poor stats - I don't recall any clean sheets or victories when Ryan plays.

We were lucky to survive the onslaught at the end last night.

The sooner Tomas is back, the better.

Am sorry to disagree. The boy is a good shot stopper but he rarely catches a cross, and really does not give any confidence to our backline. He must have some pretty poor stats - I don't recall any clean sheets or victories when Ryan plays.

Rugby park season before last and Dens park last season?

Well we didn't have a clean sheet or a victory last night. Nor up at Dingwall. If Cerny had been playing last night or for the whole game up at Dingwall I can't believe anything would be different. I don't believe there'll be many, if indeed any, that would want to see Ryan selected ahead of Tomas. Just what standard of reserve goalie Jags fans expect is not for me to say. My own view is we're fortunate to have Scully.

I looked up the stats. He's played 20 times; and we have won twice.

I know this is not all down to him, and I recall Gareth bale had even worse stats at spurs. He went on to do okay.

But - we are a better team with cerny in the sticks. I don't think anybody is arguing that. I just am not convinced - Scully gave me some real panic attacks last night. i don't feel comfortable criticising though. On a positive note - he's considerably better that that big German we had last year.

Hadn't thought that Cerny's weak kicking was down to his recent injuries but stuart-adam may well have a point. On the plus side Tomas throws the ball to defenders (usually to fullbacks) more often these days, which is a bonus whether down to injury or not. Might well have misheard Archie at the recent Q & A but I thought he said something along the lines of Tomas being very much his own man and does things his way. Adding it's a small price to pay when we've got such a good keeper.

Get the impression distribution out of defence/building from the back is often overlooked as the game develops and especially late on. All starts with the keeper.

I think Scully is ok, a decent keeper without being outstanding. Cerny, on the other hand, is outstanding in my opinion.

No reflection on Scully, but when I read on Friday morning that Tam was 50-50 for the game, my heart sunk a bit. That's probably more a reflection of my high regard for Cerny than disregard for Ryan.

Others might not agree, but I had the genuine feeling that Tam might well have produced a stunning save to deny Dorrans their equaliser; it's what he does, and what makes him the best keeper in the Scottish game, imo.

All the same, glad to have a Ryan Scully as our back-up keeper when TC is out for any reason.

I think Scully is ok, a decent keeper without being outstanding. Cerny, on the other hand, is outstanding in my opinion.

No reflection on Scully, but when I read on Friday morning that Tam was 50-50 for the game, my heart sunk a bit. That's probably more a reflection of my high regard for Cerny than disregard for Ryan.

Others might not agree, but I had the genuine feeling that Tam might well have produced a stunning save to deny Dorrans their equaliser; it's what he does, and what makes him the best keeper in the Scottish game, imo.

All the same, glad to have a Ryan Scully as our back-up keeper when TC is out for any reason.

Dunno BJ - Scott Wright scored exactly the same goal v Tam Cerny the other week and I don't recall anyone saying he should have kept that one out. The same standards should apply to Ryan.

Now what didn't happen in front of Ryan after the throw in that led to Dorrans having the opportunity to shoot is entirely another question.