Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

I am not saying that. But I can't believe that given the situation we find ourselves in with so many key long term injuries that people think that someone else will walk in and turn it around.

Granted, the incredible amount of injured bodies cannot be laid at the manager's door.

What's more concerning, though, are the things that are in the manager's sphere of influence to address. For example, the seeming inability to integrate Storey and Sammon in a consistent formation, the frankly alarming lack of spirit and ingenuity in yesterday's performance, the pairing of Barton and Edwards as defensive midfielders that isn't working properly, and the rather odd silence on Banzo and Lawless.

Granted, the incredible amount of injured bodies cannot be laid at the manager's door.

What's more concerning, though, are the things that are in the manager's sphere of influence to address. For example, the seeming inability to integrate Storey and Sammon in a consistent formation, the frankly alarming lack of spirit and ingenuity in yesterday's performance, the pairing of Barton and Edwards as defensive midfielders that isn't working properly, and the rather odd silence on Banzo and Lawless.

One of those I can go along with ie Storey and Sammon.

He can't force the players to fight - that is entirely up to them. He can't really do anything about the Barton/Edwards combination except maybe play McCarthy ? Said in post match comments Bannigan was unavailable and Lawless was ill

He can't force the players to fight - that is entirely up to them. He can't really do anything about the Barton/Edwards combination except maybe play McCarthy ? Said in post match comments Bannigan was unavailable and Lawless was ill

Fair enough - but the question still has to be asked why Banzo was unavailable if he was sitting in the stand and not injured or ill? And while I agree that he cannot 'force' the players to fight, he must be as concerned as any of us about yesterday's insipid reaction in a crucial game?

Well if he can't motivate players he's no use as a manager then is he? and he could and should have dropped Barton after motherwell.

We did not act or play like a unit today, is there a dressing room problem? Every other season we have bought unknowns with the exception of Stephenson and Archie has (generally) made them better, this season we have purchased a few well known (in SPFL) players, has this upset the balance (and wage structure) in the dressing room, reports of lawless throwing his toys out the pram after Motherwell, no leadership on the park, something is amiss. You do not go from last season to this season without something happening, the management is the same, the coaches are the same, the bloody injuries are the same, but we’ve brought in some bigger names, just a theory but something is wrong

Thought Lawless had a chest infection?

Very poor fare indeed. Didn't enjoy much of that 'performance' yesterday at all. But Christ, we've been there before. If, and I mean a big if, we don't hold onto our top flight status this season, I'll just remind myself what I and many others were saying at the end of last season: "if next season is our last in the Premiership, it's been an amazing four years" (or something to that effect).

We've got a stack of starting players, mainly full backs, who'll be coming back at some point. That will give the manager opportunities that he just doesn't have at the moment. Then I think we'll turn things around, just as we've been doing pretty much since we got promoted.

Reports of our impending relegation are a wee bit premature.

Monni Thistle.

Very poor fare indeed. Didn't enjoy much of that 'performance' yesterday at all. But Christ, we've been there before. If, and I mean a big if, we don't hold onto our top flight status this season, I'll just remind myself what I and many others were saying at the end of last season: "if next season is our last in the Premiership, it's been an amazing four years" (or something to that effect).

We've got a stack of starting players, mainly full backs, who'll be coming back at some point. That will give the manager opportunities that he just doesn't have at the moment. Then I think we'll turn things around, just as we've been doing pretty much since we got promoted.

Monni Thistle.

Love your spirit and hope you are right, even if it does seem a long way off right now.

Monni Thistle.

"We've been there before". Would it better to have consistent form and not continually end up in these situations?

"It's been an amazing 4 years" What are the stand-outs? The 4-2 night at Tynecastle, 2-1 and 2-0 at Rugby Park (both after getting ourselves in trouble at the bottom). Apart from that it's often been very frustrating.

"We've been there before". Would it better to have consistent form and not continually end up in these situations?

"It's been an amazing 4 years" All this Messianic stuff comes from Archibald being a former player. What are the stand-outs? The 4-2 night at Tynecastle, 2-1 and 2-0 at Rugby Park (both after getting ourselves in trouble at the bottom). Apart from that it's often been very frustrating.

And say what ? If you don't improve your gone ? That worked for Terry Butcher at Hibs.

At the moment Archie has no alternatives but to play the players we have fit

Agree with that but only up to a certain point.

Archie has the alternative of deploying the available resources better that he has been doing. See Turnbull yesterday, and Sammon and Storey being a conundrum that he hasn't worked out yet.

Of course it's been frustrating for the most part, and yes, I'd much prefer consistent performances; and it's not just about Archie adulation or anything like that. I'm just happy that we're now in our longest continued spell in the Premiership/SPL.

I sat there yesterday, no doubt like everybody else, thinking 'WTF, this is mince' blah blah blah, but it's just how it is at the present time. I believe we'll get out of the slump at some point. I think top six again is unlikely, but if anybody offered me the 1st Division title and (minimum) four successive top flight seasons when I was standing in the pishing rain at Cappielow when Archie and Shaggy had been flung in at the deep end, I would've bit their hand off.

However this season pans out, I think most Thistle fans will look back in a few years at this period and remember it fondly. I will anyway.

• Like 1

Storey was terrible yesterday.Thought we bought him to score goals and take some of the pressure of Doolan and not as a left winger.I know we are struggling with injuries but playing players out of position and it doesn't work isn't going to help confidence.

Who would you have played on the left with Lawless out?

What was the most worrying thing for me yesterday was that in previous seasons when we've lost games there was usually some hope that we were still going in the right direction.

Yesterday seemed different, it looked very much like a team going down.

Like the previous match (v Motherwell). :(