Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

It's over - we will not repeat last season. You do not get gubbed at home by the worst Kilmarnock team this century and stay in this league.

Accept it.

They're not a great team by any manner of means but most of their players have played at a much higher level than ours , at least 8 of their players have played at under 21 or full international for their countries , granted players like Greer , Boyd and Broadfoot are on the way down but experienced pros nevertheless .

You might well be right with the " we will not repeat last season " but you're way off the mark with the worst Kilmarnock team etc.

They're not a great team by any manner of means but most of their players have played at a much higher level than ours , at least 8 of their players have played at under 21 or full international for their countries , granted players like Greer , Boyd and Broadfoot are on the way down but experienced pros nevertheless .

You might well be right with the " we will not repeat last season " but you're way off the mark with the worst Kilmarnock team etc.

So does that excuse a defeat at home by a bottom of the league side?

i just can't get over this persistence in playing Barton in midfield when he's probably one of the best sweepers in the league, mcarthy deserves a chance and seems like the most natural all round central midfielder we have fit. I actually don't blame Barton I just don't understand why he's been moved when our defence is so much better when he's In it. Puzzled

while he I.S being played out of position Barton still has a responsibility to try and look like he is interested- sadly neither he nor his team mates did this at all

90 points to play for...

And that's why I expect us to come through and be safe at the end of the season.

And Lindau to give you another like.

87 points to play for...

It's over - we will not repeat last season. You do not get gubbed at home by the worst Kilmarnock team this century and stay in this league.

Accept it.

• Like 2

After today's result and performance?

Where on earth is a win coming from in your view?

Archie's platitudes about a reaction after Motherwell were shown to be --------- platitudes with no substance.

Because, fundamentally, we have more quality in our squad than other several teams. We've had a rotten run of fixtures followed by an injury crisis. It's not great, obviously, but we won't get relegated.

Edited by Gnome on the Bing

while he I.S being played out of position Barton still has a responsibility to try and look like he is interested- sadly neither he nor his team mates did this at all

He can't ******* run sorry but if Archie can't see that when we lose the ball barton is blowing out his arse to get back and is that knackerd from running he can hardly lift a leg to block or tackle when he does then he deserves to be punted. Barton got poty last year playing the sweeper role it worked. Put him back there asap Edited by Thistle88
  • Like 1

The injuries are killing us. Our attacking play since McNamara has relied heavily on extremely attacking full-backs. Archie took that approach and added pragmatism and defensive solidity. Unfortunately, this means that when your first choice full-backs are injured, and you have to replace them with someone who isn't a great crosser of the ball (Nitrianski) and someone who is playing out of position (McGinn), you've got serious problems. Add to that injuries in the centre of the park, creating an enforced inflexibility in terms of formation, and you end up with today's performance.

Our manager should be able to put a team on the field that at least looks as if it wants to win.
  • Like 1

Fair shout, and no problem with you pointing that out PT.

Today's result and performance has materially changed my view.

But where do you stand tonight?

I wasn't at Motherwell, but up until today I had seen a huge amount of positives to take from the previous games.

Today was an horrendous performance. No movement at all from our front 4 handicapped those trying to build any attack. When no one is moving in front of you, all you can do is pass it back or sideways.

Cerny. Clearly nowhere near match fit. Disappointed he didn't get near the second. It was maybe a foot left of the middle of the goal.

Nitriansky. The vast majority of crosses he put in were brilliant. Hard fast and there to be attacked. Offered fantastic width. Pity Edwards was the only one able to find him, with a 50 yard pass.

Keown & Devine. Attacking 4 aside, this is where we lost the game today. Against a static old man in Boyd, both were horrendous. Keown's headers went sideways. Devine's passes went out the park. They should be ashamed of their performances.

McGinn. Becoming the new Elliott. Play him anywhere and he'll give you everything. Can't fault him.

Edwards. Let's remember he is an attacking midfielder not a defensive mid. I thought he put in a fantastic performance and carried the team for 90 minutes. When these around him shat it and played a safe 10 yard pass, he stood up and was willing to make 50 yard passes to the full backs in space.

Barton. Being shown up not having Osman beside him to do the hard work. Not having Osman just highlights his mistakes. Mistakes you can normally afford if you have defensive cover.

Storey. Hopeless. Up against an over weight SOD who was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes, he did appallingly.

Erskine. Hid for most of the game.

Spittal. Tried his best in the first half. Did little in the second. Again, against an unfit SOD.

Doolan. Will be embarrassed at how little he troubled the worst centre half pairing in the league. Obviously cares though. How else can you explain his header in the first half when he was nowhere near the goal.

I wasn't at Motherwell, but up until today I had seen a huge amount of positives to take from the previous games.

Today was an horrendous performance. No movement at all from our front 4 handicapped those trying to build any attack. When no one is moving in front of you, all you can do is pass it back or sideways.

Cerny. Clearly nowhere near match fit. Disappointed he didn't get near the second. It was maybe a foot left of the middle of the goal.

Nitriansky. The vast majority of crosses he put in were brilliant. Hard fast and there to be attacked. Offered fantastic width. Pity Edwards was the only one able to find him, with a 50 yard pass.

Keown & Devine. Attacking 4 aside, this is where we lost the game today. Against a static old man in Boyd, both were horrendous. Keown's headers went sideways. Devine's passes went out the park. They should be ashamed of their performances.

McGinn. Becoming the new Elliott. Play him anywhere and he'll give you everything. Can't fault him.

Edwards. Let's remember he is an attacking midfielder not a defensive mid. I thought he put in a fantastic performance and carried the team for 90 minutes. When these around him shat it and played a safe 10 yard pass, he stood up and was willing to make 50 yard passes to the full backs in space.

Barton. Being shown up not having Osman beside him to do the hard work. Not having Osman just highlights his mistakes. Mistakes you can normally afford if you have defensive cover.

Storey. Hopeless. Up against an over weight SOD who was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes, he did appallingly.

Spittal. Tried his best in the first half. Did little in the second. Again, against an unfit SOD.

Doolan. Will be embarrassed at how little he troubled the worst centre half pairing in the league. Obviously cares though. How else can you explain his header in the first half when he was nowhere near the goal.

have to say I disagree about nitriansky from what I saw was constantly beating by Killie players and constantly gave the ball away - but it’s all about opinions

Unfortunately totally agree with your comments about Erskine and it’s worrying that he was so lost

After about 30 minutes of insipid play from both sides, I was thinking that this was destined to be 0-0 unless there was a dreadful defensive error or somebody blootered one in from 25 yards...it ended up with Kilmarnock given a confidence boost and Thistle(players, management & fans) passive and resigned to defeat.

Do our players not know you can't be offside from a throw-in? As with Aberdeen's penalty conceded by Bannigan and a couple of times against Hearts, an opposition player was allowed to run unchallenged into our box...Keown, who is usually a dogged defender, then made a horrible mess of his header and we never looked like getting back in the game.

Difficult to say much positive beyond an excellent goal-saving tackle by McCarthy - even Cerny looked unconvincing. Storey has not impressed and Sammon as a potentially game-changing sub is a depressing thought. We are used to our full backs being an attacking threat. McGinn is playing on the wrong side - surely Turnbull at left back was a better option. Kilmarnock realised Nitriansky was not capable of putting in a decent cross and didn't bother to mark him. The main problem was a pedestrian approach and an ineffective midfield which lacked guile going forward and tenacity in defence. I actually thought Barton and Edwards had reasonable games by their standards but Barton's style is not suited to midfield and Edwards runs about a lot but achieves little.

We have had a few very poor performances under Archie - a 5-1 trouncing by Motherwell and a awful display against Ross County in particular - but over the last four seasons, I always thought that we were better than several of the other teams in the League and that we wouldn't have deserved to go down...I didn't think that today.

Archie still has some credit in the bank but it is running out...but I don't think a new manager would get much more out of the players available.

I am getting a bit fed up with the lack of information about our injured players. Sean Welsh & Gary Fraser disappeared into the Twilight Zone for lengthy periods, Dumbuya's absence is shrouded in mystery and despite the Manager's Preview stating that there was a full squad to pick from outwith the long-term injured, Bannigan, Lawless & Nisbet did not make the bench. What is the position with Banzo...he is our best hope for closing the gap which in opening up in the League.

Nitriansky's crossing was diabolical in the 2nd half, either hit the first man or hammered it over everyone's head

For all the positives about our new found youth policy in giving young players a chance, it's really disappointing that James penrice and Neil mcglaughlin went on loan when the players making up our current squad can't cut it. Any time I seen either of them they looked like being good squad players this season. In our current injury crisis Mcarthy can't get in our diabolical midfield with people saying throwing him in isn't the answer ? He started against Celtic at parkhead last season and put in a very good performance but hes not ready to play this season?

We were appalling across the park today, thought we were decent early in the season but the confidence seems to be draining away with each week we fail to win.

I like Paul McGinn but it's a tough ask for him to play left back for an extended period. I think we need to try and bring in an unattached left back at least short term. Bob Harris is still unattached so are Lee Naylor and Jamie Reckord. Not ideal but Booth and Elliott are miles away and we need a natural left back (unless Turnbull can play there without looking like Aero did at right back).

As an aside, infuriating we can't recall Penrice. It will make us think twice about sending guys out on potentially beneficial loans in future.

Not putting 7 subs on the bench is becoming a pet hate. Unless the young players were playing, guys like Fitzpatrick should be given a chance to be around the team. And if Fraser is fit enough to get a run out for the U20s on Tuesday, he should have been on the bench

• Like 3

Dreadful, dreadful , dreadful from players and management. With our injuries why are we trying to play the same formation and tactics? Unmotivated and unorganised an awful performance summed up by Barton's couldnae be arsedness trying to win the ball back after he lost it just before he was subbed. Archies obsession with us playing the ball from wing to wing is baffling ,what the feck is the point . Did the manager learn nothing from the Motherwell game? We were actually worse today against worse opposition. Storey , spitall ,Sammon all glued to the touchline .For fecks sake Archie change something , . Barton is a total liability , what he brings to the team is completely out weighed by what he doesn't. How how he started today after the motherwell game is beyond belief.We play in slow motion ,there is no team moves the ball forward a slow as us . Booting the ball from one touchline to the other. Everything done too slow.........omnishambles.

• Like 2

i was moe concerned about his defending lost count of the amount of times Killie players were able to get by him with ease - though to be honest I’m concerned about how the whole team seemed to fail bar from McCarthy

He's usually fairly solid but agree, was beat with ease today.

Not meaning to single him out, whole team let the jerseys down today.

Because, fundamentally, we have more quality in our squad than other several teams. We've had a rotten run of fixtures followed by an injury crisis. It's not great, obviously, but we won't get relegated.

Rotten run of fixtures, we’ve played 9 out of the 11 teams we will play this league campaign.

If we have injuries you swap formation to suit your players not try to shoe-horn players in to suit your tactics.

Salmon on the wing? Storie on the wing? We’re playing 3 similar position players (Doolan, Storie and Salmon) in positions that don’t suit them.

If we don’t have a defensive 1st team midfielder play one of the youngsters

Rotten run of fixtures, we’ve played 9 out of the 11 teams we will play this league campaign.

If we have injuries you swap formation to suit your players not try to shoe-horn players in to suit your tactics.

Salmon on the wing? Storie on the wing? We’re playing 3 similar position players (Doolan, Storie and Salmon) in positions that don’t suit them.

If we don’t have a defensive 1st team midfielder play one of the youngsters

THIS.