Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

Are we playing Storey out of position? I certainly didn't think we signed him to play in place of Doolan or just as a back up. I can't see many advocating two up as a default formation (we're struggling enough in midfield as it is). Imo we signed Storey to compensate, nay improve on, the loss of Azeez. Storey is strong and has genuine pace. Given these attributes if the guy can't cut in from the right or left and offer a goal scoring threat and/or assists to Doolan it says more about him than the position he's being played.

Defence aside as I see it we've four new additions to the side, Spittal, Storey, Sammon and Banzo. Spittal is the only one of that quartet that I can say has knocked it off so far. Banzo for obvious reasons hasn't been up to speed and, tho' I'm guessing, I reckon Sammon has neither surpassed or fallen short of expectations. Storey has simply not lived up to expectations to date.

eta playing Spittal means we really have to compensate somewhere for his lack of pace and that puts pressure on the manager to play Storey.

If I were king, right now I'd definitely be toying with 4-4-2/4-4-1-1, Doolan, Sammon and 9 others. I thought Sammon was magnificent leading the charge alone against the soothside-tasseled-orange-nipple-ticklers. Adding Dools, with about half an hour left, got us the goal we needed.

Midfield would require a dose of discipline and training ground rehearsal, a change of mentality for some of our more attacking players maybe. But surely most players will still be familiar with 4 across the middle and a flat back 4.

No.

I just find it ridiculous that you criticise him for playing Storet out of position, when we are in the middle of an injury crisis.

When asked who you'd play there instead. You cant provide a single name.

And when Norge provides an alternarive, it's to play Edwards out of position on the right in a role he's probably never played! And that's with the hindsight that edwards was the only one in the team who wasn't playing tippy tappy 10 yard passes and actually trying to find our full backs who were hugging the touchline.

I'm all for constructive criticism. But saying stuff for the sake of it with nothing to back it up is just silly.

I’d play Edwards and Erskine narrower than wingers have them cutting in and running at guys instead of trying to hit the buy line and cross (for no one in the box), both can run, both draw fouls and both hit a shot, until we get our wing-backs back in the team there is no point playing wide as there is no link up between defense and attack out wide, we’re shit at crossing and slow supporting so why hit the buy line, try and play through and play narrower as teams are walking through us.

Lambie narrowed the team when we were struggling, we need to try something

• Like 1

I’d play Edwards and Erskine narrower than wingers have them cutting in and running at guys instead of trying to hit the buy line and cross (for no one in the box), both can run, both draw fouls and both hit a shot, until we get our wing-backs back in the team there is no point playing wide as there is no link up between defense and attack out wide, we’re shit at crossing and slow supporting so why hit the buy line, try and play through and play narrower as teams are walking through us.

Definately agree with your thoughts , we haven't got the personnel to play an expansive game just now, two banks of 4 with possibly Spitall behind Doolan . We've got to start being harder to beat first of all, first thing Jim Mcintyre and Billy Dodds did with Ross County when they were rooted to the bottom of the league was go to a flat back 4 with a narrow midfield.

It's not pretty but until we get our injured players back needs must .

Conor Sammon - he made a decent enough job of it against Celtic.

Wouldn't take Erskine out of the middle, as he has much more influence there when he receives the ball.

Whilst I was calling for Sammon to be brought on for Storey. It's not a valid suggestion as then you and Auld Jag could have just have posted...

Why are we playing Sammon wide left when he was brought here to provide competition to Doolan, the way the Storey argument was put forward.

Edited by potty trained

I know it may seem like I'm labouring the point here. But it just feels like folk are dying to lash out and are grasping onto the slightest thing.

Lawless was out. We don't have another left winger so whoever plays there will be out of position.

I read it that Storey was played there ahead of Sammon, the only two options, as a tactical reason. To go up against SOD who is clearly a shadow of his former self, with the ball on the deck. Storey cutting inside should have provided space for Erskine to run into and get behind the defence. For what ever reason, it wasn't working, so Archie moved Spittal out there. Again it didn't work.

I'm sure Archie would love it if we didn't have 8 players injured, but we do. So as it stands, some players need to suck it up and adapt for the good of the team.

Edited by potty trained

Rotten run of fixtures, we’ve played 9 out of the 11 teams we will play this league campaign.

If we have injuries you swap formation to suit your players not try to shoe-horn players in to suit your tactics.

Salmon on the wing? Storie on the wing? We’re playing 3 similar position players (Doolan, Storie and Salmon) in positions that don’t suit them.

If we don’t have a defensive 1st team midfielder play one of the youngsters

• I said that we had a rotten run of fixtures followed by an injury crisis. That we've played 9 out of 11 teams in the league doesn't contradict or invalidate this point.
  • We did switch formation, to 442/4411
  • Sammon wasn't playing on the wing, he was pulling out wide when Cerny was hitting it upfield.
  • I don't think Doolan was being played out of position.
  • Throwing youngsters into a team that's out of form is fraught with risk. People who attend the development games regularly assure me there's no one quite ready to be thrown into the team under such circumstances. Who do you have in mind? McCarthy has done well in short cameos, and also when he played against Celtic, and I'm not utterly opposed to him being given a chance, but you have to trust Archie to know the kid's personality and current form.

Edited by Gnome on the Bing

Totally agree with that. With the fullbacks missing we have to change our system for now. Test for Archie to come up with something.Would settle for some Anti-football McLeish style and some points on the board for a while until we get some players back

• Like 1

barton was player of the year last season

i know he is being played in a slightly different position because of injuries to team members

so are we now saying he has lost his all his skills and commitment he brought to the team last season

imo barton is probably the most skillful player in the squad

talking about attitude during the second half in the hearts game barton twice i believe after running half the pitch and taking up an unmarked position at the far post waiting for the cross that never came from storey

for me a more pressing question is the form of keown he is a shadow of the player he was last season

always said that barton should be played in the back line out of all the defenders we have he is the only one that has the skill to carry the ball forward instead of the usual hoof up the park

and yes i agree with others going to a 4 4 2 makes sense

barton was player of the year last season

i know he is being played in a slightly different position because of injuries to team members

so are we now saying he has lost his all his skills and commitment he brought to the team last season

imo barton is probably the most skillful player in the squad

talking about attitude during the second half in the hearts game barton twice i believe after running half the pitch and taking up an unmarked position at the far post waiting for the cross that never came from storey

for me a more pressing question is the form of keown he is a shadow of the player he was last season

always said that barton should be played in the back line out of all the defenders we have he is the only one that has the skill to carry the ball forward instead of the usual hoof up the park

and yes i agree with others going to a 4 4 2 makes sense

I am not sure Keown is so much worse than last season. He maybe isn't as comfortable in a 4 as opposed to a 5.On Saturday he made a mess of the clearance for their 1st goal, but he had still been winning most of the headers vs Boyd, whereas Devine didn't.

Would switching Devine and Barton work?

Devine doesn't have Barton's passing range but would certainly add more bite to the midfield.

Barton could drop back in to a back 3 with Keown and Turnbull, bring the ball out from the back.

McCarthy in with Devine.

Forward players made up from Edwards, Doolan, Erskine, Sammon, Spittal, Storey?

Might not be the most creative side but would hopefully give the security that we desperately need just now.

That is based on having the same players fit that we were left with on Saturday.

Would switching Devine and Barton work?

Devine doesn't have Barton's passing range but would certainly add more bite to the midfield.

Barton could drop back in to a back 3 with Keown and Turnbull, bring the ball out from the back.

McCarthy in with Devine.

Forward players made up from Edwards, Doolan, Erskine, Sammon, Spittal, Storey?

Might not be the most creative side but would hopefully give the security that we desperately need just now.

That is based on having the same players fit that we were left with on Saturday.

Talking about playing players out of position

Seems a pretty risky move as if it doesn't work out Archie would get slated for it.

But I agree that we need much more fight in midfield

Edited by lithgaejag