Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

For those who like to point out how well we have done against Sevco,Celtic and Aberdeen this season.If my memory serves me correct ICT beat sevco and drew with Celtic last season but went down.Hamilton won 4 games in the league and 2 were against Aberdeen and ended up in the play offs.Any points won are good but we are now in a run of games where wins and points are vital if we want to stay up.

Last season finishing in the Top 6 was incredible, especially given what I had seen. If it wasn't for the singing and the beer it would have been even more traumatic. As for narrow wins for and against, its our inability to kill teams off that repeatedly cost us. That's my point relating to the amount of goals we score.

Whatever way you look at it and I look at it, we need to be doing a lot better over the next few games

we haven’t been particularly helped by questionable referee decisions

At home to Celtic we were denied a stonewall penalty

Away to Ross County I have watched the penalty decision they got 4 times and I really do not think that was a penalty. If that has been us we would likely have not been awarded it.

Home to Hearts - the vast majority of opinions is that that ball was not over the line and was therefore not a goal - again if that had been us you can be sure we would not have been given it.

There was also a few questionable decisions in the league game against Rangers.

That’s not defending what was clearly a disgraceful performance against Motherwell but I don’t know any other team in the league that has had so many important decisions go against them and we really could be a number of points better off because of this

• Like 1

Penalty was not given against Celtic as Storey went down too theatrically.

Ross Co penalty was a definite penalty

Hearts goal was clearly over the line

Yes, there were dodgy decisions when we played Rangers but none had an effect on the outcome of the game.

Sorry - can't blame the officials for the position we are currently in.

Last season finishing in the Top 6 was incredible, especially given what I had seen. If it wasn't for the singing and the beer it would have been even more traumatic. As for narrow wins for and against, its our inability to kill teams off that repeatedly cost us. That's my point relating to the amount of goals we score.

Whatever way you look at it and I look at it, we need to be doing a lot better over the next few games

No arguments there

"argue"? ... :thinking:

I'd debate over last year's "...Top 6 incredible,,," and "...a lot better....". :smartass:

In our 8 game unbeaten run at the end of last year, we faced only 2 of the top six sides before the split. We were unbeaten against 5 of the bottom 6 all season. The lottery of fixture list made that run stand out.

We missed out on top six in the previous year by one goal.

Sure we need to up our game and injuries mean it's surely going to be tougher for us. However...

• Celtic - we lost a fairly early goal, they were dominant, but we held out and had a late penalty shout.
  • Aberdeen - we came from behind twice and so did they. Their first comeback assisted by a daft penalty.
  • We dropped 2 points in dingwall to a late, soft pen.
  • If we could repeat our result against rangers that'd be 3 points we never had last year.

... This time last year we were alone at bottom on the same points. We rose to 7th though october and were bottom again by Christmas. I absolutely agree we need a win and sooner the better, but a draw against killie will...

• Not put us bottom of the league
  • retain an undefeated run against bottom 6 teams
  • be achieved with important players out injured that should return later in the year.

We need improvement. But we have not been a total disaster. Motherwell was the exception. While little positive can be taken from the last game, much can be learnt and we've got an extra week to work with that knowledge to prepare a better plan for our injury struck squad.

Heids up, chins high, chests oot troops! A few battles lost, but the war is far from done. Archies army marches on.

Killie put squirrels in their pies.

• Like 1

It's important that Archie picks the right team this week with the right tactics , watched the Motherwell game back and the amount of space Motherwell had in the middle of the park was unbelievable. You don't want to scapegoat players but Adam Bartons display was abysmal , players were running off him and he basically chucked it with 30 mins to go typified when Moult nutmegged him and made no attempt to chase back.

We need to be hard to beat again with workers in the team, I would go back to 4 2 3 1 , hopefully with Banzo back in the team as one of the holding midfielders.

A spell on the bench won't do Adam Barton any harm even if he is a player with undoubted ability.

It would be great if he had all his options available to him, but sadly due to injuries he doesn't.

Training methods, we seem to get way too many injuries compared to other teams and also seem to run out of steam earlier than other teams.

I honestly think if we sort this we will sort (majority) the results

Possibly so - but I don't think Elliot, Booth or Osman injuries are down to training methods.

Yes, there were dodgy decisions when we played Rangers but none had an effect on the outcome of the game.

Whether Storey went down theatricallly or not, there was contact and it should have been a penalty. If it had been at the other end you know it would have been given. One at County, I can't comment as I haven't seen it. Hearts goal wasn't clearly over the line - at least not to me or the tv pundits. Erskine sending off, maybe correct decision, BUT there were 3 other worse tackles in other games that weren't punished as severely. That refereeing decision not only impacted on the 2 Rangers games, but also the Hearts game.The least you need in this league is a level playing field and consistent decision making by the officials.

have to disagree Col

Don’t agree Ross Co was definite penalty or that Hearts ball was over the line. I think along with Celtic game referee got these decisions wrong and as I said had it been other way round don’t think we would have got these.

However nothing to do with officials last Saturday and I agree that some players really have not got going this season which there is not excuse for

Edited by Third Lanark

or that Hearts ball was over the line

agree with you Matt - I was right behind goal and saw it a dozen times on the telly but cannot say for certain one way or the other - didn't help that the lad was unbalanced and his momentum took him into the back of the net instead of standing his ground

... could all have been sorted if the high quality sportscene had set up a single cheap camera at each end focused on, and in line with, the goalpost - wouldn't cost much and would be definitive in handful of cases for/against us each season - won't happen as it's an amateur toytown production

agree with you Matt - I was right behind goal and saw it a dozen times on the telly but cannot say for certain one way or the other - didn't help that the lad was unbalanced and his momentum took him into the back of the net instead of standing his ground

What annoyed me was how the ref could make the judgment from so far back. McLaughlin was denied his hat-trick tonight in similar circumstances. Ball crashed off the crossbar and span out of the goalmouth. May well have crossed the line but being behind play there was no way the ref could give it.

last night? I didn’t think the youngsters were playing until tomorrow night? Who were we playing?

Think this'll be the U17s. The outfield trialist who played for the U20s v Aberdeen did indeed impress, especially if he's that young. He played right side centreback for most of that game. Might have gone to right back late on but can't mind.