How The League Is Looking.

Auld Jag

Not wanting to split hairs with allyo and anyway he is correct when he says Bannigan is a better player than Welsh. I would tho' much prefer to have Sean Welsh (on last season's form) than Banzo (on this season's form to date). I realise the mitigating circumstances re Stuart easing himself back to full fitness prior to his setback but just because we've signed a few better players and lost inferior counterparts doesn't necessarily say that we are better prepared this season. For instance for once the tide is beginning to turn re average age of our starting XIs. Up to last season I'd have said the benefits of experience gained outweighed the rise in the average age of the starting teams. We may have seen the best of stalwarts such as Lawless, Erskine, Doolan and Osman and that kinda goes on the debit side to counterbalance the improved signings.

• Like 1

To follow on from what you have said regarding Banzo, heres hoping the other players that have been out for quite a while are able to hit the ground running and stay fit till the end of the season. It wont be easy for the likes of Fraser and Dumbuya who have been out for so long to suddenly come back and make an immediate impact.

Yeah. I don't disagree with any of that. I do believe we have a potentially stronger squad, but results obviously show that up to this point we are weakened (which I think we all know).

As you say, it won't be easy for long term injuries to immediately bounce back. But I am confident that our team should get stronger overall as the season progresses

How much worse than last season do people think we are. If I have done the sums properly, we had 13 points at this stage. I am not sure where we were position wise or how many points we were off 6th or 7th. But, at this point in time we are not too far off last season. December, I think is a huge month for us, having won 9 points from 7 last season.

How much worse than last season do people think we are. If I have done the sums properly, we had 13 points at this stage. I am not sure where we were position wise or how many points we were off 6th or 7th. But, at this point in time we are not too far off last season. December, I think is a huge month for us, having won 9 points from 7 last season.

After the corresponding fixtures last season, we had 13 points from 13 games. Hearts were flying in 3rd, ICT were in the top 6. We would lose our next game to Motherwell away, which up until our recent game at Fir Park must have been our worst away display of recent times. I’m pretty sure we were bottom before the month was out. I never worried for the last season. My only slight concern this season is the quality of managers in the league looks really good. Neil McCann is still an unknown quantity, but Govan must be able to improve on the last few years, Kilmarnock and Ross County have managers with premiership experience, and although Hamilton and ourselves have one club managers, you can put them up against anyone else in this league. It is going to be very interesting, with maybe 4 clubs pulling away from the rest, 2 top 6 places up for grabs and 6 teams eventually fighting relegation.

Am I alone in thinking that Owen Coyle is an absolute fraud of a manager?

He's been absolutely shite in his last half dozen or so management jobs (start with his time at Wigan at least and could probably argue for going back further than that) but clearly talks a good game cos he keeps getting another shot despite growing evidence that he's not actually any good at it.

County will likely not be in any significant relegation trouble but that'll have more to do with buying half a new team in January as per than any positive input from the manager's office.

Am I alone in thinking that Owen Coyle is an absolute fraud of a manager?

He's been absolutely shite in his last half dozen or so management jobs (start with his time at Wigan at least and could probably argue for going back further than that) but clearly talks a good game cos he keeps getting another shot despite growing evidence that he's not actually any good at it.

County will likely not be in any significant relegation trouble but that'll have more to do with buying half a new team in January as per than any positive input from the manager's office.

No you're not,

I've always thought that he talked a lot of bull whilst in every manager's post that he's held. ( ala McLeish)

He couldn't even hold onto his job in the U.S.A.

I also think that County will stay up but I'm glad that Mr Coyle kept right on walking up Maryhill Road.

Away on a tangent but got my Tynecastle ticket today. £19 for a concession! I'm under the impression that a club must sell its away tickets at the same price as their own walk up price. On that basis the elderly in Gorgie and surrounds must be rather affluent or just plain daft.

OUCH!

Think me and lady skwerr might just give Tynie a miss until such time as Hearts get a bit more realistic about their pricing.

Not wanting to split hairs with allyo and anyway he is correct when he says Bannigan is a better player than Welsh. I would tho' much prefer to have Sean Welsh (on last season's form) than Banzo (on this season's form to date). I realise the mitigating circumstances re Stuart easing himself back to full fitness prior to his setback but just because we've signed a few better players and lost inferior counterparts doesn't necessarily say that we are better prepared this season. For instance for once the tide is beginning to turn re average age of our starting XIs. Up to last season I'd have said the benefits of experience gained outweighed the rise in the average age of the starting teams. We may have seen the best of stalwarts such as Lawless, Erskine, Doolan and Osman and that kinda goes on the debit side to counterbalance the improved signings.

I'd say Welsh was the best footballer we've had in a long while. His performances, from the times I seen him, were always above average and his intelligence seemed far greater than most around him.

The trouble is, the best footballer is not always the best player on the day and he took some unfair criticism at times.

I was gutted when we let him go as felt despite his injuries, he was far too good to move on.

I'm trying to learn to accept that other less able footballers can still contribute to the team and guys like Edwards, Osman and Bannigan, none of whom could lace Welsh's boots, are still capable of playing well.

There's a fine balance to picking a winning team and too many 'footballers' might not be the answer, despite it being personally preferable.

Our team probably only has 3 or 4 all round footballers currently fit - Doolan, Barton, Lawless and Spittal.

That's fine for any team as long as they are on their game and the other 7 or 8 are playing as well as they can in their position / role.

The problem we have is that the other 7 or 8 are off form or out of position.

They are niche players and need the comfort of playing the position they know well.

I'm sure Archie will get it right when some of the injuries clear up and players revert to more familiar roles.

• Like 1

When Erskine is on form, he is definitely our best player. He needs to start getting on the ball more and running at players instead of the kid on fancy flicks all the time that very seldom come off. In recent weeks we've scored two goals where one of our players has carried the ball from the half way line. Its something we don't do nearly enough and in Erskine we have a player more than capable of ripping apart the opposition and committing defenders. Lets see more of that and less square passes.

Yours Faithfully

Getehbaw Inehnet

Edited by MonehJags
  • Like 1

Good luck with your recovery, Sean.

The great thing about the game is how we all look for and see different things in players performances.

Some like the ball winners and more energetic players and I guess I look for technique and intelligent play.

I try to remind myself that a team of Messi's won't win the league and that there has to be a place for the likes of Edwards etc.

I do struggle most to appreciate the Bannigan type of player as I think it reminds me of a David Batty type style which I never really felt was too difficult to execute.

That said, I guess every team needs a ball winning midfielder that can move the ball along 10 yards to the more gifted players. I just wish he'd stay a bit calmer at times.

I'd also say good luck to Welsh.

Remember his performance versus the Arabs in our first game back up. Think it was a Friday night?

0-0, but what a game he had that night.

When Erskine is on form, he is definitely our best player. He needs to start getting on the ball more and running at players instead of the kid on fancy flicks all the time that very seldom come off. In recent weeks we've scored two goals where one of our players has carried the ball from the half way line. Its something we don't do nearly enough and in Erskine we have a player more than capable of ripping apart the opposition and committing defenders. Lets see more of that and less square passes.

Yours Faithfully

Getehbaw Inehnet

Not sure how I forgot to mention Erskine.

Definitely one of the footballers.

Away on a tangent but got my Tynecastle ticket today. £19 for a concession! I'm under the impression that a club must sell its away tickets at the same price as their own walk up price. On that basis the elderly in Gorgie and surrounds must be rather affluent or just plain daft.

OUCH!

Think me and lady skwerr might just give Tynie a miss until such time as Hearts get a bit more realistic about their pricing.

Thistle are selling the top section first of all. The ones in the bottom section are a fair bit cheaper for full price and concessions.