Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
westertonjagfan

E Fife Away

Recommended Posts

Interesting reading this thread today. 

I don't mean this as a dig at anybody; we were all feeling it. I remember being struck at how I couldn't even get particularly excited by a last minute goal. But in retrospect the moment that our season turned happened in this game.

Since half time in that game we have scored 22 and conceded 2. Hard to believe it was this month!

Edited by allyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, allyo said:

Interesting reading this thread today. 

I don't mean this as a dig at anybody; we were all feeling it. I remember being struck at how I couldn't even get particularly excited by a last minute goal. But in retrospect the moment that our season turned happened in this game.

Since half time in that game we have scored 22 and conceded 2. Hard to believe it was this month!

Truly remarkable, as is losing only one of the last 18 matches. Worthy champions, indeed!

For me, Thursday's performance is right up there with yon 5-1 game vs Dunfermline in our last promotion season. Exciting, fast passing football. And although Williamson has come in for criticism at times, he is really good when he goes on those marauding runs; reminds me of SOD and ATS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Truly remarkable, as is losing only one of the last 18 matches. Worthy champions, indeed!

For me, Thursday's performance is right up there with yon 5-1 game vs Dunfermline in our last promotion season. Exciting, fast passing football. And although Williamson has come in for criticism at times, he is really good when he goes on those marauding runs; reminds me of SOD and ATS.

Yes, definitely the same feel as that game. When the big event arrived and everything clicked.

The difference this season is we didn't have the big games in the calendar, waiting for them well in advance. I remember the Morton game that season, looking at the fixtures probably about two months before it and already feeling anxious about it at that stage.

This month the games just kept coming and we were taking them on one at a time. The short period of time may have helped us to just build the momentum and keep it going.

Eta- 23 goals in one month has to be a club record, surely

Edited by allyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, allyo said:

Yes, definitely the same feel as that game. When the big event arrived and everything clicked.

The difference this season is we didn't have the big games in the calendar, waiting for them well in advance. I remember the Morton game that season, looking at the fixtures probably about two months before it and already feeling anxious about it at that stage.

This month the games just kept coming and we were taking them on one at a time. The short period of time may have helped us to just build the momentum and keep it going.

Eta- 23 goals in one month has to be a club record, surely

I suppose there is another similarity to that Morton game in that we had had a hard game a few days before where the result had been disappointing and was feeling a bit deflated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a few things that helped turn our season around. From the management team getting Tiffoney in during the transfer window was crucial. We desperately needed a player with his pace and directness. Also moving to 2 players up front. Turned us from a team that was scoring less than a goal a game to one that was scoring for fun. 

McCall also quickly ditched a tenancy for making wholesale changes midway through the 2nd half. When it happened it really disrupted our play. Laterally his subs have been much more considered and effective. 

On the pitch, Keiran Wright's save at Airdrie and Rudden's first league goal off the chest were huge moments. In the Falkirk match Tiffoney scoring so quickly after the opening goal really knocked the stuffing out of them. No coming back after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, allyo said:

Yes, definitely the same feel as that game. When the big event arrived and everything clicked.

The difference this season is we didn't have the big games in the calendar, waiting for them well in advance. I remember the Morton game that season, looking at the fixtures probably about two months before it and already feeling anxious about it at that stage.

This month the games just kept coming and we were taking them on one at a time. The short period of time may have helped us to just build the momentum and keep it going.

Eta- 23 goals in one month has to be a club record, surely

Would say that the second lock down helped us in letting us get key players fit again - especially Rudden - and Bannigan looked more like his old self soon after the restart.  Of course the first lockdown and the SPFL's response to it damaged us badly.  But that in a way makes it sweeter we triumphed in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things I reckon made the difference.

Firstly it's blatantly obvious that both Tiffoney's & Rudden's form made a huge difference. But putting goals and assists aside, having at least one player with pace (more often that not two) on the pitch at all times helped big time.

Secondly, and partly related to that additional pace, we were able to play a more fluid formation. The 4-4-2 set up previously was both predictable and lethargic. So much so that opponents could easily set up to counter it. Since East Fife we may still have lined up as a 4-4-2 but we played with far more fluidity, often three up front with at least one centre mid playing further up the park. Didn't seem to sacrifice any width in doing so. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 4:25 AM, Yellow & Redneck said:

McCalls remit was to win promotion- We are failing and are odds on to fail.

Well how about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×