Falkirk Viaplay Cup Tie - 22nd July

Fawlty Towers

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He was at fault for both goals- blunders that he has done similar to throughout his career at Firhill and he has been here 6 years and not improved significantly at all.  there was an alternative at the first goal - palm it to the side rather than straight to the Falkirk player 
Trying to defend him because he happened to save a penalty is ridiculous- if he hadn’t mucked up in the first place we may have taken all 3 points 

Mitchell although prone to blunders as well is the better goalkeeper 

That's just nonsense from start to end.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I thought some English team gazumped us just when he was about to sign for us....

Not so according to a well known Jags' player of the day who had struck up an immediate friendship with Eddie. Although the player in question also had 'a problem' with our manager of the day...

32 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Looking at those highlights, I don’t think Sneddon can be faulted for either of the goals and he made a save that kept the score to 1-0. He also saved one of the penalties. The blame for not winning or getting the extra point lies elsewhere.

I thought he looked dodgy losing the second at the near post.

Also heard it say that his pre spot kick moving/jumping about antics backfired on more than one occasion. Something about him not being in position to make the best possible attempt at a save. That opinion came from an ex goalie. Altho' I reckon I know what he means, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the art of goalkeeping to back that up.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I wouldn't blame Sneddon for Saturdays' defeat. However he is in competition with Mitchell for the starting slot and I think Sneddon will think he could have done better with both goals.

The Falkirk Highlight show that on the first goal there was no deflection. Sneddon just marginally miss-read the dip on the ball. It looks like he was trying to tip it over the bar but it he got too much of his hand over the ball which deflected it into MacIver's path.

Second goal he gets across well enough but again miss-reads the flight of the ball and this time gets underneath it. Perhaps he was over compensating for the miss-read on the first goal?

Mitchell is better at distributing the ball and probably more commanding at crosses. Sneddon's strength was a shot stopper so if he's going to compete for the starting spot he needs to get those small details right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I thought he looked dodgy losing the second at the near post.

Also heard it say that his pre spot kick moving/jumping about antics backfired on more than one occasion. Something about him not being in position to make the best possible attempt at a save. That opinion came from an ex goalie. Altho' I reckon I know what he means, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the art of goalkeeping to back that up.

Not sure we can criticise his routine at spotkicks as prior to Saturday he had a 100% record in shootouts. As I said he saved 1 and they missed 1 in the regulation 5. That should have been enough for us to win the extra point.

Its all about opinions though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I wouldn't blame Sneddon for Saturdays' defeat. However he is in competition with Mitchell for the starting slot and I think Sneddon will think he could have done better with both goals.

The Falkirk Highlight show that on the first goal there was no deflection. Sneddon just marginally miss-read the dip on the ball. It looks like he was trying to tip it over the bar but it he got too much of his hand over the ball which deflected it into MacIver's path.

Second goal he gets across well enough but again miss-reads the flight of the ball and this time gets underneath it. Perhaps he was over compensating for the miss-read on the first goal?

Mitchell is better at distributing the ball and probably more commanding at crosses. Sneddon's strength was a shot stopper so if he's going to compete for the starting spot he needs to get those small details right.

For the 1st he deflected it onto the bar, Macivor then reacted quicker than Muirhead to get the rebound.

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Just had another look at highlights. Sneddon didn’t deflect onto the bar, but still slow reaction by defense.

Muirhead's reaction is actually quicker than MacIver's. Muirhead gets to the ball first but all he can do is play it off MacIver and in. Personally I think MacIver should be thanking Muirhead, having seen MacIver's finishing there is every chance that left to his own devices he would have contrived to miss.

Bannigan's reaction to Williams original clearing header is where the goal really comes from. If Bannigan at least gets goalside of the Falkirk player that shoots then that goal isn't conceded.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Muirhead's reaction is actually quicker than MacIver's. Muirhead gets to the ball first but all he can do is play it off MacIver and in. Personally I think MacIver should be thanking Muirhead, having seen MacIver's finishing there is every chance that left to his own devices he would have contrived to miss.

Bannigan's reaction to Williams original clearing header is where the goal really comes from. If Bannigan at least gets goalside of the Falkirk player that shoots then that goal isn't conceded.

Most goals wouldn’t be conceded if other players did things better before the keeper has to make a save. 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

For the 1st he deflected it onto the bar, Macivor then reacted quicker than Muirhead to get the rebound.

Yeah, but some people think that in the fraction of a second Sneddon had to stop it from being a goal he should have visually scanned the field and front of him, and realizing that no Thistle players were going to bother their arses to run in and clear the rebound, he should have magically angled the rebound away not just from MacIvor but  any onrushing  opponents. But he didn't do that, so he should be dropped for Mitchell, (whose numerous whoppers shall not be brought into the discussion).

51 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yeah, but some people think that in the fraction of a second Sneddon had to stop it from being a goal he should have visually scanned the field and front of him, and realizing that no Thistle players were going to bother their arses to run in and clear the rebound, he should have magically angled the rebound away not just from MacIvor but  any onrushing  opponents. But he didn't do that, so he should be dropped for Mitchell, (whose numerous whoppers shall not be brought into the discussion).

Mitchell has had numerous whoppers- really?  Far less than Sneddon that’s for sure.  Aside from Queen’s Park and Dundee I don’t recall many more.

Mitchell is the better keeper and should be the number one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Not sure we can criticise his routine at spotkicks as prior to Saturday he had a 100% record in shootouts. As I said he saved 1 and they missed 1 in the regulation 5. That should have been enough for us to win the extra point.

Its all about opinions though.

No I  can't criticise his routine but an ex goalie is in a better position to do so.  I'll stick with his opinion that Sneddon was wrong footed due to his antics.

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No I  can't criticise his routine but an ex goalie is in a better position to do so.  I'll stick with his opinion that Sneddon was wrong footed due to his antics.

I would suggest that it is all about confidence in these situations. If the antics give him confidence then that is right for them.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I will stick with my opinion that having already won 3 shootouts and  putting the opposition off enough for them to miss 2 out of the original 5, his antics have been good enough and should have been good enough for our penalty takers to get the extra point.

12 hours ago, dl1971 said:

My take on this re the goalkeepers is we are lucky to have both of them. Neither are perfect but what do people expect? Rough, Walker, Crzery? Reality time methinks. 

Could also add George Niven to the above..............................

• Like 1

So Falkirk v Dundee Utd tonight.  As someone said a win for Dundee Utd would put us in position to win group should we beat Spartans however a Falkirk win puts it in their hands to win group at weekend.  

However where it gets confusing is if tonight is a draw.  If that happens but Falkirk win on pens then I think still in their hands for weekend however if Falkirk lose on pens would be tied on points with us.  My question being would that mean goal difference would be the divider on Saturday or would it go to the head to head score between us and Falkirk.  And this before working out the chances of qualifying via a runner up spot?

When was Scottish football ever simple?  confused.com🤔

Goal difference is the first tiebreaker if it comes to that , full list below 

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) head-to-head record, 7) drawing of lots.

• Thanks 1