Investment/Finances

Fawlty Towers

I have started this thread (don't all rush at once to thank me) so these sort of issues can be discussed here and if anyone still wants to talk about the Hearts cup tie they can do so in the other thread.

I am sure that those who bought a programme yesterday will have read in the chairman's notes that recent work around the stadium - cleaning of the front of the Colin Weir Stand and repairs to the roof of the Jackie Husband Stand plus other work still to be done has been possible due to "new investment into the club, including a sizeable one off donation by a supporter". As this fan was not named I can only assume they did not want their name out there which is quite often the case for people who give money away.

We know the accounts to 31st May 2023 will be grim but nothing now can be done about that, what I am interested in is the accounts to 31st May 2024 showing us breaking even (or even a small profit). What I heard from the TJF AGM and from the club so far give me confidence this will be the case but, of course, we need to remain vigilant.

• Like 1

Thanks for that - I had not heard that a supporter donated money to fund capital improvements.  In my mind, that was the only way some of these were going to get accomplished.

Also, we broadly refer to this money as “investment” but that term implies the provider is getting something in return.  Is that the case here?

12 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Thanks for that - I had not heard that a supporter donated money to fund capital improvements.  In my mind, that was the only way some of these were going to get accomplished.

Also, we broadly refer to this money as “investment” but that term implies the provider is getting something in return.  Is that the case here?

Not that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I have started this thread (don't all rush at once to thank me) so these sort of issues can be discussed here and if anyone still wants to talk about the Hearts cup tie they can do so in the other thread.

I am sure that those who bought a programme yesterday will have read in the chairman's notes that recent work around the stadium - cleaning of the front of the Colin Weir Stand and repairs to the roof of the Jackie Husband Stand plus other work still to be done has been possible due to "new investment into the club, including a sizeable one off donation by a supporter". As this fan was not named I can only assume they did not want their name out there which is quite often the case for people who give money away.

We know the accounts to 31st May 2023 will be grim but nothing now can be done about that, what I am interested in is the accounts to 31st May 2024 showing us breaking even (or even a small profit). What I heard from the TJF AGM and from the club so far give me confidence this will be the case but, of course, we need to remain vigilant.

Why the rush? Could this not wait till Monday? 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Could it have been Alastair McCreevy again?

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

But it’s all a bit vague …..who ? How much ? Where’s it being spent etc etc ?

for a small business we have have more NDAs than Goldman Sachs 

20 minutes ago, javeajag said:

But it’s all a bit vague …..who ? How much ? Where’s it being spent etc etc ?

for a small business we have have more NDAs than Goldman Sachs 

If someone says they don't want their put out then the club would need to respect that. People have the right not to have their name displayed even if they are donating £10 on crowdfunding for someone doing a charity walk so I don't find it anything to be overly concerned about. Same goes for the amount and as to what it is being spent on we at least know two things it is being used for.

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

If someone says they don't want their put out then the club would need to respect that. People have the right not to have their name displayed even if they are donating £10 on crowdfunding for someone doing a charity walk so I don't find it anything to be overly concerned about. Same goes for the amount and as to what it is being spent on we at least know two things it is being used for.

Actually the club doesn’t need to respect that it’s a choice it make and I’m nit sue what we should. People have rights but so does the club …..you  might reasonably ask who wants to keep their identity secret making a £10 donation to us and why ?! And sorry one of the differences you would think between a fan owned and non fan owned club is a lot more transparency so yes I woukd expect to know how much , on what and why .

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Actually the club doesn’t need to respect that it’s a choice it make and I’m nit sue what we should. People have rights but so does the club …..you  might reasonably ask who wants to keep their identity secret making a £10 donation to us and why ?! And sorry one of the differences you would think between a fan owned and non fan owned club is a lot more transparency so yes I woukd expect to know how much , on what and why .

I think it takes time for supporters of clubs that have moved to fan ownership to get used to how that operates in practice compared to what has gone previously. I seem to recall fans of St Mirren, Hearts, etc expecting to know every detail of every decision initially until it became clear that was not either always practical or possible.

3 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I think it takes time for supporters of clubs that have moved to fan ownership to get used to how that operates in practice compared to what has gone previously. I seem to recall fans of St Mirren, Hearts, etc expecting to know every detail of every decision initially until it became clear that was not either always practical or possible.

I understand the point you make but I’m concerned that excuse is used not to tell the fans anything the club doesn’t want them to know …..just like the old boss 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

I understand the point you make but I’m concerned that excuse is used not to tell the fans anything the club doesn’t want them to know …..just like the old boss 

Please get with the Fan Ownership Plan 

Now repeat after me 

Four Legs Good Two Legs Bad 

Four Legs Good Two Legs Bad

25 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I'm a member of TJF but I don't want to micro manage the club board.  They don't need to justify every decision and source of income to me.  With 2 TJF members on the club board I trust the decision makers to help run the club correctly.

No one is suggesting micro managing anything simply communicating the decisions made and why 

for example there’s been a lot of chat about the JHS roof and apparently we are spending money on it …I would be interested to know what the issue is , why it’s happened etc etc I do not think that is unreasonable 

not everyone may be interested but lots of people are 

30 minutes ago, javeajag said:

No one is suggesting micro managing anything simply communicating the decisions made and why 

for example there’s been a lot of chat about the JHS roof and apparently we are spending money on it …I would be interested to know what the issue is , why it’s happened etc etc I do not think that is unreasonable 

not everyone may be interested but lots of people are 

I think it needs fixed. This sometimes happens to roofs. Do I need to know the why....no. If you do need to know I would respectfully suggest that is indeed the definition of attempted micro management. 

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I think it needs fixed. This sometimes happens to roofs. Do I need to know the why....no. If you do need to know I would respectfully suggest that is indeed the definition of attempted micro management. 

Maybe look up ‘managing ‘ in the dictionary because it doesn’t mean ‘knowing’

and what’s wrong with communicating the detail ? 

58 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I've been micro managed when the manager has a lack of trust/ does not know the subject matter/ is out their depth.

The roof was broken. It needed fixed. 

So let me get this right under fan ownership the fans actually don’t get to know anything other than whatever the club board decides to tell them … no change then 

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So let me get this right under fan ownership the fans actually don’t get to know anything other than whatever the club board decides to tell them … no change then 

Never said that. Major issues of significance yes. Not the day to day  mundane issues surrounding the upkeep of a stadium. For example I don't need to know if a floodlight bulb needs replaced. But if its two bulbs...maybe :-) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Never said that. Major issues of significance yes. Not the day to day  mundane issues surrounding the upkeep of a stadium. For example I don't need to know if a floodlight bulb needs replaced. But if its two bulbs...maybe :-) 

What? You don't want to know how many screws and bolts are needed? the cost?,the environmental effect? Goodness! What kind of supporter are you? Tsk!

I'm sure I read that there's certain major developments/criteria where membership (fans) are consulted. The more dramatic proposed changes requiring a high percentage of membership to effect. Major decisions that can't or can't easily be reversed. 

I don't believe our Club is going to be fan controlled in much of a different manner than Hearts, St Mirren or Motherwell. Fan owned or not we can rightly only speculate over managerial budgets and the like. Obviously, much tho' we'd like to know, individual wages, contracts, bonuses etc are strictly confidential. As of course is our lightbulb policy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Never said that. Major issues of significance yes. Not the day to day  mundane issues surrounding the upkeep of a stadium. For example I don't need to know if a floodlight bulb needs replaced. But if its two bulbs...maybe 🙂

Major issues of Significance - like potentially going bust for instance ? 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

What? You don't want to know how many screws and bolts are needed? the cost?,the environmental effect? Goodness! What kind of supporter are you? Tsk!

No….I would like to know the issues with the JHS stand as at one point it was suggested that the issues were serious requiring a serious amount of cash spent on it …..