Arabs v Jags Friday Night

Albert's Ghost

12 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Fitzpatrick is either a 9/10 or a 2/10, nothing in between. Compare his output to the United wingers tonight and it’s night and day. Zero effort off the ball from him.

Our new favourite tactic of shelling long diagonals doesn’t do us any favours either.

We started the game tonight with zero belief we could win and out performance matched that. 

United are a poor team, it’s a poor standard of league this year so heaven knows why we sit off them so much. 

Young Diack looks decent, deserves a shot.

We really need some midfielders in January.

There’s players on our team that are 2/10 almost every week.  Fitzpatrick having poor game is the very least of our worries 

• Haha 1

Poor tonight…completely bottled it right from the start…Wee guy mentality. 

100 appearances from Fitzpatrick and at a push he’s had 20 decent shifts…tonight again wasn’t one of them. 

Centre Mid ( or a couple of them) is an absolute priority in January. 

Bannigan is like playing with a man down. Utterly useless. 

Happy new Year

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

There’s players on our team that are 2/10 almost every week.  Fitzpatrick having poor game is the very least of our worries 

That’s a fair point. My frustration with Fitzy is how much talent he clearly has but when he’s not at his best, he is miles off it. 

He’s still relatively young and will improve but his off the ball play needs to be miles better (and yes, he’s far from alone). 

• Like 1

A goalkeeper incapable of controlling the penalty box or direct his defence, always liable to lose a ball shot low or at the near post.

A defence all ajitter because of the goalkeeper behind them and not working together either on the flanks or in the centre.

What seemed like a random selection in midfield. The only real mystery is why the opposition opted for the long ball so often to bother to cut them out.

Up front, Graham isn't mobile enough to wander away from the penalty box. Lawless and Fitzpatrick are capable, but told to stay out on the wing to be shepherded into inconsequence. They were the only players to threaten to score or to set up a shot - from inside the penalty box. As we keep using fullbacks as buckshee wingers we lose impetus by being shepherded away from goalscoring areas (3 players on Fitzpatrick when he's in possession) and leave our defence exposed to countering on our wings.

Success in football is built on secure defences. We'll remain also-rans (Dingwall repeatedly, anyone?) for as long as goalscoring is put before that.

Edited by Fearchar
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

That’s a fair point. My frustration with Fitzy is how much talent he clearly has but when he’s not at his best, he is miles off it. 

He’s still relatively young and will improve but his off the ball play needs to be miles better (and yes, he’s far from alone). 

This is a point for debate.

Has he really progressed since his first spell with us?

IMO, he was on his way out under McCall because he was rank rotten for most of last season. He does seem to have responded to KD's coaching though - whatever that may be - and he certainly took the opportunity when Banzo got injured during the play-offs.

He seems to have been enjoying his football since then, which is a good thing.

But the plain fact is he's still playing at the same level he was playing at 5 years ago.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, javeajag said:

‘For most of the second half we were in command’….’we were in the ascendancy’…..’we have been on a good run’…….doolan clearly watching a different game…..delusional 

My thoughts exactly, same response after every defeat- 'it doesn't really matter we've been playing not bad will pick ourselfs up'. Would love to see him p*ssed off just once after a defeat

• Like 1

I thought we tried hard and managed to stay in the game  but in the end we ran out of steam and were simply outclassed.

If anything this game highlighted all the weaknesses we have raised, discussed and debated since the start of the season so no point in repeating here .

Tonight though I thought we also looked slow and not as fit as we should be.

At least we are,  perhaps,  the 3rd best team in the championship but miles off RR & DU who have too much football in their squads, at the moment, for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We look an ordinary side with our third place a reflection on the standard of the other sides. The structure of the side again looked flawed with once more McInroy then Alston offering no threat and no defensive cover. I wasn't surprised that there were gaps in midfield when Stanway went off.

Fitzpatrick had a real off night & Neilson wasn't great either. I prefer Diack to Adeloye who I wouldn't be disappointed to see leave at the window- the same applies to Williamson, McGinlay & MacDonald, none of whom even made the bench.

Doolan's signings have been almost universally disappointing - it will take really good recruitment at the transfer window to turn us into a credible play-off candidates - I'm not optimistic. 

Edited by Winter of '63

He really doesn’t like Adeloye does he.. I always find this ends up the problem. Well has been the 2 times McCall has left.

Our recruitment has been woeful, Bar one or 2 who’s the best signing we have made, that has been signed by someone other than McCall ? I can’t think of anyone other than Scott McDonald who has done anything special.

2 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

He really doesn’t like Adeloye does he.. I always find this ends up the problem. Well has been the 2 times McCall has left.

Our recruitment has been woeful, Bar one or 2 who’s the best signing we have made, that has been signed by someone other than McCall ? I can’t think of anyone other than Scott McDonald who has done anything special.

Steven Anderson was certainly a good signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erty13 said:

Did Brian Graham touch the ball tonight in the Dundee United half.

Probably did but I can't be that certain. Don't really want to start singling out individual players as they were more or less all drastic tonight.

Just starting to thaw out. Fingers still too cold to type much. Only to say I don't believe we had a single shot on target tonight. Gave the ball away so many times that even if we had been at our best defending (we were far from it) we were always going to lose a goal.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Probably did but I can't be that certain. Don't really want to start singling out individual players as they were more or less all drastic tonight.

Just starting to thaw out. Fingers still too cold to type much. Only to say I don't believe we had a single shot on target tonight. Gave the ball away so many times that even if we had been at our best defending (we were far from it) we were always going to lose a goal.

McMillan had one down at the keeper's near post just before they made it 2-0.

That was it though.

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This sums it up, especially in the first half. The standard of our passing was awful, constantly giving the ball away which just invites pressure.

United pressed us but our movement was non existent. It was the same 2nd half vs Caley, players making runs behind opponents rather than in to space to receive the ball.

Our only option is to then go long which inevitably leads to losing possession. 

• Like 1