19 January - A Date For Your Diary

honved

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got the invite to go, I never really saw how it could work as an inforal social event & saw it as a q&a night. Alot of people are too shy to go up & personally speak to people who are seen to be 'above' them.

I personally think a q&a session is better, as it lets the whole room hear the questions being asked & then the answers given, instead of 1 or 2, then those stories spreading & becoming misunderstood.

I wasn't able to make it tonight, but a well done to Tom (Honved) for arranging it & hopefully something similar can be arranged for nearer the end of the season. & at that event, if there was one, could be a different format (I'm sure) if that's what was wanted.

When I got the invite to go, I never really saw how it could work as an inforal social event & saw it as a q&a night. Alot of people are too shy to go up & personally speak to people who are seen to be 'above' them.

I personally think a q&a session is better, as it lets the whole room hear the questions being asked & then the answers given, instead of 1 or 2, then those stories spreading & becoming misunderstood.

I wasn't able to make it tonight, but a well done to Tom (Honved) for arranging it & hopefully something similar can be arranged for nearer the end of the season. & at that event, if there was one, could be a different format (I'm sure) if that's what was wanted.

[/quotbe]

David Beattie was asked if he'd hold another one and the answer was yes. Could be in 2 months...may be for end of season. We would, however, need far more to attend, than the number who turned up tonight. appreciated not everyone could attend but all who were there were disappointed and indeed surprised in the very low turn out.

Initial correspondence I received about it was specific that it there was “no Q&A”.

There is unquestionably value in a q&a (and your point about it being a better format is valid) and tonight’s was particularly informative but having been led to believe that tonight was largely a social event I’m a little disappointed that it wasn’t.

Just my personal view.

About 30.

Not the night that I had thought it was going to be. Not the informal social event that was billed but largely a q&a with David Beattie and Ian McCall.

David came across as very honest and I think that honesty impressed those there. It was certainly interesting and David deserves great credit for the way he answered the questions but, to be honest, I'm not sure I would have gone had I known the format the evening was going to take. I certainly wouldn't have brought my better half.

That's not to say that it wasn't a worthwhile event, it was.

Thanks again Tom for pushing through with this. Very worthwhile.

I brought two mates along, who were down the road playing snooker who knew about the event but unsure of the sort of night it was. Initially when we arrived it looked like a Q&A (the way the seats were set out) but after it they were glad they went along and were impressed with what had been discussed.

Totally agree about Beattie and the way he presented himself and answered questions. McCall was good as well to be fair.

With the way the night panned out, Tom I see it like this. Here is a successful businessman now in charge or one of the main figure in PTFC's Boardroom giving honest answers to fans and not afraid to criticise the fans themselves in certain scenarios or criticisms of the Club brought up this evening. Very refreshing to see. Very refreshing also to see him open to fan suggestions.

With regards to his criticisms of the fans - when he asked for fans input in a match programme not long ago he only got 17 replies. That is disappointing.

One main thing I want to bring up was the point made by the one chap who touched upon the perception of the PTFC BoD. I think it was regards to the e-mailing back to the club, regarding getting feedback from the fans or the Propco situation. Anyway, it was suggested by a fan that a section of the support still feel an anger/disinterest or just an apathetic attitude towards the BoD due to many decisions made over the last 7 years or so in responding to fan suggestions. Now I agree with that and I was glad it was brought up as I feel it is still an important issue in rebuilding the trust between the fans and the BoD.

Another fan said something along the lines of "the past is in the past", I agree with that again but for some, due to a continuous amount of **** ups it's not enough. Now I find that that frustrating for a guy like Beattie tonight, who along with Billy Allan and the other Directors have been faced with the task of balancing the books and clearing up all the shit that was left behind from the last regime.

One last thing. Before the end it was mentioned to spread the word or suggest to other fans to come along again to another meeting, similar to this. Beattie made it clear that he would attend the next meeting, if one was ever organised. Hopefully. I'd like to think the honesty and willingness to attend another meeting similar to this would generate more fans to come along. See what he has to say and raise a few bob in the Aitken Suite.

After tonight me and my mates will be heading into the Aitken Suite for a pint either pre-match or post-match. That's the effect a member of the BoD had tonight giving an honest assessment of our financial position and future of the Club face to face, because before we didn't go to the Aitken Suite for a number of reasons.

With regards to his criticisms of the fans - when he asked for fans input in a match programme not long ago he only got 17 replies. That is disappointing.

Is that just the number he replied to, because I'm still waiting on a reply to the one I sent in.

Quite disappointed that it was not even acknowledged and put me off from attending events like tonight - why bother if they can't even be ar5ed responding to e-mails.

Is that just the number he replied to, because I'm still waiting on a reply to the one I sent in.

Quite disappointed that it was not even acknowledged and put me off from attending events like tonight - why bother if they can't even be ar5ed responding to e-mails.

He specifically said that he personally received 17 e-mails and responded to everyone of them. There were folk in the crowd who were some of those who sent e-mails. No idea what could have happened to your e-mail.

Beattie came across as really passionate with regards to fans involvement/discussions with the BoD via the internet/ pre-season or match days.

• Members

Desperately disappointing attendance tonight. The main body of the hall was made up of Club "employees" and Trust and ex-Trust Board members. I had a quick look round at the start of the meeting and I reckon there were no more than 10 folk there (it may have "swelled" to 15 or 16 by the end of the night) that I didn't recognise as having some sort of connection with the Club.

Truly desperate!

Billed by the organiser as an "informal social" and the invitations didn't suggest a Q&A.

What followed was interesting, informative and certainly worthwhile but not what I, or others, were expecting.

Not what I was expecting either... not the turnout that it merited either, but things are worth trying. If you don't try then you can't succeed (or fail).

Initial correspondence I received about it was specific that it there was “no Q&A”.

There is unquestionably value in a q&a (and your point about it being a better format is valid) and tonight’s was particularly informative but having been led to believe that tonight was largely a social event I’m a little disappointed that it wasn’t.

Just my personal view.

Just my personal view.

Maybe a lesson for me in all of that. Don't promise what you can't be certain of delivering...

I still stand by my original premise, that supporters and "club" (however you see that entity) should feel more closely aligned. It seems that you can't really force that to happen.

David Beattie was asked if he'd hold another one and the answer was yes. Could be in 2 months...may be for end of season. We would, however, need far more to attend, than the number who turned up tonight. appreciated not everyone could attend but all who were there were disappointed and indeed surprised in the very low turn out.

Surely with the cup game on Tuesday and another event on the next day, the turn out was likely to be not as good as hoped for. A lot of people have a distance to travel, get away from work early and so on and would find it difficult to do more than once in a week. Obviously no one's fault as the game was a replay. Also, dark miserable nights and so forth at this time of year.

He specifically said that he personally received 17 e-mails and responded to everyone of them. There were folk in the crowd who were some of those who sent e-mails. No idea what could have happened to your e-mail.

Beattie came across as really passionate with regards to fans involvement/discussions with the BoD via the internet/ pre-season or match days.

Both myself and a colleague at work sent David emails in response to his request in the programme. Both of us never received replies either. And before anyone asks I was not emailing to ask when we were going to sign Pat Clarke :D

Maybe a lesson for me in all of that. Don't promise what you can't be certain of delivering...

I still stand by my original premise, that supporters and "club" (however you see that entity) should feel more closely aligned. It seems that you can't really force that to happen.

Wasn't able to make last night as I didn't want two nights out in a row (still recovering from a recent illness, or perhaps just old and past it!!). I'm sure there others who, for their own reasons, would have difficulties in coming along having been out the previous night.

The number of fans willing to actively support this type of event has over the past number of years been frustratingly disappointing with perhaps a few exceptions.

However, this shouldn't be taken as a reason for not continuing with them - these do have the opportunity to build up with the drip feed of positive feedback from those who did attend. All too often, things have been started and quickly dispensed with because it wasn't an immediate success story. Indeed, the last decade is probably littered with initiatives started and quickly dispensed because it didn't turn out to bw missing magic ingredient that was being sought.

Clearly, if the aim is to break even next year then there's going to be some difficult decisions needed. It's crucial that the fans fully understand what the constraints are driving those that are made, and can buy into both the decisions and support it in whatever way is possible. That needs such events to continue. I think the format that arose last night is better than an informal social gathering for sharing and discussing such things.

Edited by Allan Heron

Not what I was expecting either... not the turnout that it merited either, but things are worth trying. If you don't try then you can't succeed (or fail).

Sorry couldn't make it along as hoped, Tom. Some good posts on this thread (e.g. northernsoul).

We've a long way to come back from in rebuilding Club/fan relations, but it sounds like this was a positive first step with good honest input from Mr Beattie.

Worth persisting with a follow-up; I suspect the turn-out next time will be higher. :thumbsup2:

Thirty people? How many of those were fans and how many were, to paraphrase my favourite cuddly director, chaplains, programme editors and quasi-official hangers on? :thinking:

Everyone there was a fan!

The challenge issued at the end of the evening from Ian McCall was quite simple - get another event organised before the end of the season and treble the number of attendees - lets do it!

I think as long as a similar event is organised for a week where there's no game (although I do appreciate that honved organised this before the draw in the 1st game v Falkirk) and it's perhaps towards the start of a month rather than what is a week or so before the payday after Christmas then plenty more people should turn up.

I'm not saying hundreds more would've turned up if we hadn't played Falkirk the night before but it certainly didn't help.

I think as long as a similar event is organised for a week where there's no game (although I do appreciate that honved organised this before the draw in the 1st game v Falkirk) and it's perhaps towards the start of a month rather than what is a week or so before the payday after Christmas then plenty more people should turn up.

I'm not saying hundreds more would've turned up if we hadn't played Falkirk the night before but it certainly didn't help.

I for one would have gone along but it's a bit difficult for me making two 70+ mile round trips during the week (3 in 5 days). I guess there'd be a good few more attending but for the Falkirk game. More or less unavoidable so I trust nobody is dismayed at a lowish turn out. Hopefully these nights will be repeated.

Thanks to Tom for arranging and all those that have reported back about the night :thumbsup2:

I for one would have gone along but it's a bit difficult for me making two 70+ mile round trips during the week (3 in 5 days). I guess there'd be a good few more attending but for the Falkirk game. More or less unavoidable so I trust nobody is dismayed at a lowish turn out. Hopefully these nights will be repeated.

Thanks to Tom for arranging and all those that have reported back about the night :thumbsup2:

Agree with both post and if it hadn't been for the Falirk game the night befoer I would definately have been there. The mrs goes out on a Tue or Wed depending on work/football...so a Tuesday AND Wednesday is kinda difficult :(

Thirty people? How many of those were fans and how many were, to paraphrase my favourite cuddly director, chaplains, programme editors and quasi-official hangers on? :thinking:

38 in the room of which 12 were staff or "Quasi-official hangers on" like me. :ph34r:

Just to point out that we all received personal invitations a while back to attend for what was billed as an informal social meeting.

• Members

38 in the room of which 12 were staff or "Quasi-official hangers on" like me. :ph34r:

Just to point out that we all received personal invitations a while back to attend for what was billed as an informal social meeting.

A fair proportion of the remaining 26 would have been Trust and ex-Trust Board Members (and their parents!) Unless you've counted them amongst the 12?

Meant to come along but was in that London and wasn't back in time. Don't know what anybody else thinks, but I'm happy to offer The Brass Monkey as a venue next time. I get the feeling that folk might rather go to the pub than go to Firhill if there's no match on. Happy to help out with a free pint as well. Could be a more relaxed environment and could actually be a 'social' event.

Let me know what you think, but offer there.