Archie Signs Up Again

dpj

Great news !

I noticed that Derek Young had been released by Aberdeen. I know he is probably on a bigger wadge than we could afford, but he must have some sort of link to Jackie and Sid so if there was a chance, wouldn't mind seeing him in a Thistle shirt again.

Rowser the next priority though.

You are having a laugh. Was shocking first time round.

I noticed that Derek Young had been released by Aberdeen. I know he is probably on a bigger wadge than we could afford, but he must have some sort of link to Jackie and Sid so if there was a chance, wouldn't mind seeing him in a Thistle shirt again.

You're off your heid.

Great news !

Rowser the next priority though.

Good idea. Maybe we could persuade Kenny Brannigan to join as player/coach too............? :P

It was worrying me that Archie hadn't signed. With Maxwell done for and Boyle leaving getting a natural left sided defender was crucial.

With so many youngsters signed up for next season, we need an experienced captain who loves the club and will command respect. I want Boyle to re-sign but there will be alternatives available as clubs trim their squads.

Edited by kni

It was worrying me that Archie hadn't signed. With Maxwell done for and Boyle leaving getting a natural left sided defender was crucial.

At least we now have an experienced centre-back pairing and it seems likely we'll get Balatoni on loan again. Worried about the full back positions though with Paton's injury he's likely to sign a one year deal too I suppose. I worry though if we're losing Robertson as it means we'll be depending on youngsters and loanees for cover when injuries/suspensions kick in. And we don't have any young defenders who're at the same stage of development as the likes of Bannigan and Campbell. At least we'll have plenty of cover for midfield next season with guys like these two coming through.

Edited by Mr Bunny

At least we now have an experienced centre-back pairing and it seems likely we'll get Balatoni on loan again. Worried about the full back positions though with Paton's injury he's likely to sign a one year deal too I suppose. I worry though if we're losing Robertson as it means we'll be depending on youngsters and loanees for cover when injuries/suspensions kick in. And we don't have any young defenders who're at the same stage of development as the likes of Bannigan and Campbell. At least we'll have plenty of cover for midfield next season with guys like these two coming through.

Balatoni's return will depend on the budget and how much Hearts want from us. Paton has signed a one-year deal but was offered a two-year deal by McCall. Colin Stevenson (who, like Burns and McBeth) has been injured) is a young defender who is expected to progress next season. Burns, McBeth and Stevenson have all signed new one year deals. That leaves question marks over the futures of Flannigan, Rowson, Robertson and Hodge. I would be surprised if we retain more than two of that quartet.

Balatoni's return will depend on the budget and how much Hearts want from us. Paton has signed a one-year deal but was offered a two-year deal by McCall. Colin Stevenson (who, like Burns and McBeth) has been injured) is a young defender who is expected to progress next season. Burns, McBeth and Stevenson have all signed new one year deals. That leaves question marks over the futures of Flannigan, Rowson, Robertson and Hodge. I would be surprised if we retain more than two of that quartet.

I'm sure we'll sign someone decent as centre back cover on loan - ideally Balatoni would be the one as he'd fit into the team right away. But as you say it depends on Heart's demands.

Yes, I've heard that Stevenson is a very promising prospect but he's been nowhere near the first team and would be only starting to be brought on next season. McGeogh should be further on but they seem to think he'll be better in midfield now.

The players that have come through this season are Bannigan and Campbell, and to a lesser extent, Fraser. MacBeth looked promising at the start of this season and had a spell on loan with Clyde so if he has a good pre-season I'd see him as able to challenge for a place in the first team along with the three I just mentioned. Three of these are midfield players one a forward. There really is no one ready to move in from the youths into defence at the start of next season - except maybe McGeogh in an emergency.

I'd say - provided we re-sign Rowson and Cairney gets back more to his old self - we'll have a pretty strong midfield next season with Bannigan potentially a stand-out player for us. But we need to boost the defence a bit as we won't able to fill in the gaps to any great extent with youngsters. Not in the early part of the season anyway.

From what I heard back in January Robbo will be away to Ayr Utd and Hodge to...ahem...Killie. Can't see a place for Hodge in our midfield next season regardless, same with Robbo if we can get Balatoni for the season and if Stevenson makes the breakthrough. Will be sad to see him leave but I think the talk is of him getting a player/coach role at Somerset.

Wouldn't mind seeing Flannigan retained but would prefer Campbell at Right Mid. Rowson is a must tho.

If we're gonna bring the youngsters through we need the experienced players around them and Archie is perfect for that role.

Well chuffed he's staying and hope to see Rowser follow suit soon.

totally agree; great news. Alongside Paddy Boyle, Arch and Rowser have been my POTY. Would love to see them all in Jags shirts again next year.

I thought Archie was very inconsistent this year and hate to think that next season maybe one too far. I would have delayed signing him until we see who else is available come the big end of season shake up. We aren't the only team suffering financially and with most Premier League teams also cutting budgets there will be record numbers of players looking for contracts. I hope we hold back enough of our budget to be able to take advantage of any bargains that come along which would improve the team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but if we'd done that last year Martin Hardie might have been firing in goals for us !

and finally shouldn't the new permanent manager be making these decisions ?