First Division Transer News

Dark Passenger

I don't doubt that. What I'm saying, though, is that we shouldn't get wound up in what we think other clubs are capabale of paying players or what the players themselves are looking for. There are loads - north and south of the border - looking for clubs. The time will come when they'll have to lower their expectations. Saying that, I still believe Harris will be fixed up with something better sooner rather than later. Same goes for Tade.

Unfortunately getting wound up about football is my middle name ;)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, stop pissin about here, we need the directors to dip into their multi millions to get the club kick started. Sick to death seeing the jags as the paupers of Div 1. Do u hear Raith/Ross Co/Morton/QOTS/Falkirk/Dundee etc etc continually go on about how skint they are, no its always us...and lets face it there are quite a few teams worse off than us, but the boards of the other clubs are willing to put their money where there mouth is, which our board wll not do. Only Dundee outta that list can say they get far better crowds than us Lets face facts...time for Beattie, Allan. Bannerman to get the funding into the club...by digging into their pockets!!!

Edited by Lindau

Honestly, stop pissin about here, we need the directors to dip into there multi millions to get the club kick started. Sick to death seeing the jags as the paupers of Div 1. Do u hear Raith/Ross Co/Morton/QOTS/Falkirk/Dundee etc etc continually go on about how skint they are, no its always us...and lets face it there are quite a few teams worse off than us, but the boards of the other clubs are willing to put their money where there mouth is, which our board wll not do. Lets face facts...time for Beattie, Allan. Bannerman to get the funding into the club...by digging into their pockets!!!

This only really works as long as they are easy on repayment timescale, no repayment is required or they are willing to hang around long term and service our debt. I fully support our efforts to reduce the debt and can accept a degree of prudence in the transfer market. I'd certainly not want us to start splashing the cash, only for the player(s) not to settle and be 'duds'.

One of the directors financed Flannigans deal last season, so I dont think they are adverse to putting money in if they believe it will be well spent. They could however, speed up the anouncing of whatever initiative it is they've been working so hard on.

I'm resonably optimistic about the new management and the team that is being built. I'd rather it was build on a strong foundation,

I'm resonably optimistic about the new management and the team that is being built. I'd rather it was build on a strong foundation,

So am I Merry, but could do without the continual statements from the board about how friggin awful a state we are in.Nice way to attract players....not!!! I dont hear it coming from any other club other than Thistle.At the end of the day , if you want to shout from the rooftops that you are a director of a leading Scottish Football Club..and yes we are still one of the top clubs in Scotland...its now time for these mega rich guys to step up to the plate and be counted...otherwise...FECK OFF!!!

Edited by Lindau

I hear Ryan Conroy has been released from Celtic now. I wouldn't mind him back at the club, he was one player I thought did consistently well in that awful period at the beginning of 2010.

Yes good shout there. Conroy has improved even more since he left us; would give some versatility up and down the flanks.

Yes good shout there. Conroy has improved even more since he left us; would give some versatility up and down the flanks.

If Sandy is correct and Conroy has indeed come on in the last season or so then he should be the type of player we're looking for. Lindsay by his description sounds a defensive player and I'd imagine we'd really be looking for a guy that'll get up and down the flanks, be good going forward. Conroy certainly does that but the overriding factor has to be his ability to defend. I can't mind how good or bad Conroy's defensive side to his game was when he played with us.

Honestly, stop pissin about here, we need the directors to dip into their multi millions to get the club kick started. Sick to death seeing the jags as the paupers of Div 1. Do u hear Raith/Ross Co/Morton/QOTS/Falkirk/Dundee etc etc continually go on about how skint they are, no its always us...and lets face it there are quite a few teams worse off than us, but the boards of the other clubs are willing to put their money where there mouth is, which our board wll not do. Only Dundee outta that list can say they get far better crowds than us Lets face facts...time for Beattie, Allan. Bannerman to get the funding into the club...by digging into their pockets!!!

Lindau I think every team you have mentioned in this post are continually going on about how skint they are !!!

Raith - released a great deal of their squad and have been saying for ages how tough next season will be for them.

Ross County - Ok, not heard much.

Morton - Reports every other day in local paper how they are cutting back.....Rae has mentioned going part time if crowds don't imporove substantially. all new signings being offered 1 yr deals.

Dundee - we all know what happened their.

Falkirk - emergency meetings to announce how skint they are.

QOTS - arse has fell out of that club and could be heading for dark dark times.

I appreciate that we do go on about things being tight, but I'm glad we ain't in the same situation as almost all of the clubs mentioned above.

I wonder if other clubs will copy the Binos' "pay for a trial" fundraising scheme - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13651232.stm

"Thirty hopefuls will arrive at Stirling Albion's Forthbank Stadium on Saturday having paid £200 each for the privilege of trying to win a contract."

"Players from Austria, USA, England and Ireland will join home-based talent in attempting to impress manager Jocky Scott, assistant John Blackley and former Tottenham Hotspur and Ajax midfielder Ally Dick."

I wonder if other clubs will copy the Binos' "pay for a trial" fundraising scheme - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13651232.stm

"Thirty hopefuls will arrive at Stirling Albion's Forthbank Stadium on Saturday having paid £200 each for the privilege of trying to win a contract."

"Players from Austria, USA, England and Ireland will join home-based talent in attempting to impress manager Jocky Scott, assistant John Blackley and former Tottenham Hotspur and Ajax midfielder Ally Dick."

This has already been discussed somewhere on this forum. It's an excellent scam opportunity for players to put themselves in the shop window.

I'd be astonished if we showed any interest in him. We don't need any more forwards unless one of them leaves.

Still a jump up for the younger lads and still doubts over Grehans goalscoring prowess. A forward line of Doolan, Stewart and Clarke playing as part of the 4-3-3 could potentially win us the league.

Just reading the post about Gary Irvine signing for Dundee, did St Johnstone not offer him a 3 year deal? They must be paying well to combat a 3 year deal. If neither Harkins or Forsyth move on from Dens then they are clearly still paying massively high wages and have learned nothing from the fiasco last year.

Still a jump up for the younger lads and still doubts over Grehans goalscoring prowess. A forward line of Doolan, Stewart and Clarke playing as part of the 4-3-3 could potentially win us the league.

Just reading the post about Gary Irvine signing for Dundee, did St Johnstone not offer him a 3 year deal? They must be paying well to combat a 3 year deal. If neither Harkins or Forsyth move on from Dens then they are clearly still paying massively high wages and have learned nothing from the fiasco last year.

McNamara has suggested he's looking to bring in one more midfielder and a defender. The signing of Stewart completes our striking pool, I reckon. Anyway, any move to bring Clarke in would be dependent on Dunfermline scrapping his contract as I think it's pretty obvious we won't be paying money for anyone.

St Johnstone haven't been linked with Irvine, but there was a rumour (nothing more) that Hamilton had offered him two years; the length he was looking for. Looking at the deals Dundee are offering - one year with a further year option, in some cases - the obviously feel they have the budget in place to cover a season at this rate before things can be assessed again - remember, they get double our crowds. It could be the case that some of the players have accepted reduced terms, giving the spirit of togetherness that was in evidence at Dens at the end of the season.

Lindau I think every team you have mentioned in this post are continually going on about how skint they are !!!

Raith - released a great deal of their squad and have been saying for ages how tough next season will be for them.

Ross County - Ok, not heard much.

Morton - Reports every other day in local paper how they are cutting back.....Rae has mentioned going part time if crowds don't imporove substantially. all new signings being offered 1 yr deals.

Dundee - we all know what happened their.

Falkirk - emergency meetings to announce how skint they are.

QOTS - arse has fell out of that club and could be heading for dark dark times.

I appreciate that we do go on about things being tight, but I'm glad we ain't in the same situation as almost all of the clubs mentioned above.

Lenny

We are as well supported as most of the teams in this league, we reportedly pay some of the smallest wages in this league and to be fair its only this season that these clubs have been talking about cutting back...we have been talking that talk for years now. Its common knowledge that McNamara has one of, if not, the smallest playing budget in the league. I just wish the club would try to put a more positive spin on the club rather than continually going on about how skint we are. We have some pretty wealthy guys on that board and they should do what most other club directors do....dip into their pockets!!

McNamara has suggested he's looking to bring in one more midfielder and a defender. The signing of Stewart completes our striking pool, I reckon. Anyway, any move to bring Clarke in would be dependent on Dunfermline scrapping his contract as I think it's pretty obvious we won't be paying money for anyone.

St Johnstone haven't been linked with Irvine, but there was a rumour (nothing more) that Hamilton had offered him two years; the length he was looking for. Looking at the deals Dundee are offering - one year with a further year option, in some cases - the obviously feel they have the budget in place to cover a season at this rate before things can be assessed again - remember, they get double our crowds. It could be the case that some of the players have accepted reduced terms, giving the spirit of togetherness that was in evidence at Dens at the end of the season.

I know, though I think they also seem very capable of running up several times our debt

I think they learned they can cheat and get away with it, so no surprises if they continue to do so, eh?

I was actually impressed with all of the cheques for thousands of pounds that were being announced at half-time when we were there recently. As they'd already survived their crisis by paying all their creditors almost nothing, then all of that new money was presumably going towards their "new regime".

Lenny

We are as well supported as most of the teams in this league, we reportedly pay some of the smallest wages in this league and to be fair its only this season that these clubs have been talking about cutting back...we have been talking that talk for years now. Its common knowledge that McNamara has one of, if not, the smallest playing budget in the league. I just wish the club would try to put a more positive spin on the club rather than continually going on about how skint we are. We have some pretty wealthy guys on that board and they should do what most other club directors do....dip into their pockets!!

Our average support last season was just over 2,000 and you need to remember that about 300 - 400 of them are under 16s getting in for free. Once you take off the season ticket holders you are probably talking about less than 1,000 people paying at the gate. 5 teams had a higher average attendance than us so I am afraid I cannot accept your argument. What we need to do, in my opinion, is set a budget based on realistic projections and stick to that and not get drawn in to a "keeping up with the Jones" war with other clubs.

I don't think the club actually do put a negative spin on the finances I think they are being realistic and we all, directors included, need to do our bit to make them better. We should also remember that if we look since McCall was appointed we spent between £20,000 to £30,000 on Buchanan, £10,000 on McKinlay, a small fee on Chaplain, Ian Maxwell's wages were paid for by a director and Iain Flannigan was signed a result of a director putting their hand in their pocket. Also, the directors do put money in to behind the scenes things which although not as glamorous as big name signings need to be done.