Neil Mccann..

Vom Itorium

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no idea how fit he is. Checked his details and I see he's 36 (maybe going on 37) so it would be a big risk unless he was willing to accept a low wage (or pay-as-you-play) for the sake of some coaching experience.

If Dundee are after him the only way we could afford him is if he wanted to coach and would take a lowish wage in order to do that.

Is he not also involved in player agency or something like that? Not much in the story HERE.

Agree with the previous post that we can't compete with Dundee financially but McCann's other work in TV etc might mean a lot of extra traveling if he goes to Dens so we could be in with a strong shout.

I've not a clue as to whether he's still much to offer as a player or not. Rather suspect that won't be too much. Must be more to this than just him being a targeted signing. :unsure:

The Record has us inviting Montrose defender Aaron Sinclair to pre-season training, too.

He was heavily linked with St Johnstone last season and, if I remember correctly, spent a few months training with them with a view to signing. Obviously they've not followed up their interest but he is quite highly rated, I believe. Would give us two young left backs and perhaps the opportunity to loan Lindsay out for a month to gain some experience.

Edit: Didn't realise there was already a thread regarding this. :bag:

Edited by Armand2

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk:80/sport/editor-s-picks/old-pal-s-pact-could-see-mccann-at-thistle-1.1106720

"The Dens Park club are keen to tie McCann down for the start of the Irn-Bru First Division campaign, but Thistle could try to tempt the former Hearts and Rangers winger to pull on his boots once again.

"McCann is currently a regular pundit on Sky Sports’ coverage of the Scottish Premier League, but if an arrangement could be reached that suits all parties, he could pull on the red and yellow hoops next season.

"Talks will continue to see if a deal can be done and, while McCann’s arrival at Firhill may not be imminent, SportTimes understands the Jags are hopeful of convincing him to sign up."

Story in the papers that we have sounded out McCann about joining us for next season and are competing with Dundee.

What's you thoughts on bringing this old boy onboard?

Think it would be good for the club, as stated by Jackie and the financial constraints that are at the club, bringing in youngsters to the first team,is perhaps the only way forwatrd for the club, bringing in McCann with his experience may (or may not) enhance the youngsters experience, young heads do need experience around them to develop, whether its McCann or someone else.

Think it would be good for the club, as stated by Jackie and the financial constraints that are at the club, bringing in youngsters to the first team,is perhaps the only way forwatrd for the club, bringing in McCann with his experience may (or may not) enhance the youngsters experience, young heads do need experience around them to develop, whether its McCann or someone else.

We've already got Archie and Rowser, both veterans, to bring on the youngsters. All I can really see McCann doing, if he's even fit, is slowing down all our moves. I did quite admire him years ago, but it has seemed to me for some time that he's finished.

We've already got Archie and Rowser, both veterans, to bring on the youngsters. All I can really see McCann doing, if he's even fit, is slowing down all our moves. I did quite admire him years ago, but it has seemed to me for some time that he's finished.

McCann could helpin developing Burns, Fraser, McGrotty. I know we have sid to do that but think they could learn a thing or two from McCann.

Is he not also involved in player agency or something like that? Not much in the story HERE.

Agree with the previous post that we can't compete with Dundee financially but McCann's other work in TV etc might mean a lot of extra traveling if he goes to Dens so we could be in with a strong shout.

I've not a clue as to whether he's still much to offer as a player or not. Rather suspect that won't be too much. Must be more to this than just him being a targeted signing. :unsure:

Sorry to go over old ground and off topic, but doesn't that just sum so much up? We can't compete with Dundee, who are barely out of administration and should be operating as if they had both legs broken. We've done our best to live within our means, unlike Dundee, Motherwell and others, and where are we, and where are they? Sucks the big one, as Frank once said.

Edited by beep0608

Sorry to go over old ground and off topic, but doesn't that just sum so much up? We can't compete with Dundee, who are barely out of administration and should be operating as if they had both legs broken. We've done our best to live within our means, unlike Dundee, Motherwell and others, and where are we, and where are they? Sucks the big one, as Frank once said.

We can't compete with Dundee because they have no debt - administration put paid to that. We have a fairly big debt and we owe it to the bank, not club-friendly businessmen: we couldn't get away with the same trick.

On top of that Dundee have a bigger support so they will of course be able to outbid us. Yes it sucks but that's life.

Anyway if McCann came to us, no one is saying he'd be a "big signing" in anyway, just an experienced 'old head' to help bring on the youngsters. We won't be offering him much because we'll be saving the little money we have to bring in the two defenders and (possibly) midfielder/forward we need.