Just In

dpj

Yes, his set up for the goal was excellent.What annoys me about Flannigan is that he looks as if he has a lot more to offer and yet comes up short too often.You could see the set-up the manager was going for on the wing with Sincliar and Flannigan on the left but he ends up having to switch wings because he was ineffectual.Don't quite know what the managers thinking is in playing such a left footed player so wide on the right.

To be fair the tactics would have worked just fine, if Fox hadn't dropped the ball into the net.

agree though, I'd like to see a bit more balance to the team set up.

Erskine could have played on left but would seem Jackie wanted to drop him as performances had not been up to what we require.

We're only 3 games in and no one has outplayed us. Hope lads get a bit of confidence from today and go out and get the 3 points next week. That will give EVERYONE a real lift.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah if there is one thing I wish he had done more of today it was chase back. Felt a few times he was too slow , where as rowser and Cairney were bursting a gut to do it.

robertson was not as good today as against Dundee. He does break up the game well and does a lot of the ugly stuff that kinda goes un noticed. Still thought he could have contributed a bit more today.

i must be missing the Robertson thing. he is a bit of the invisible man and for a guy that big doesn't really get in about players, also he missed a load of headers against (compared to him) midgets, like i said maybe i am just missing all this work he does :unsure:

i must be missing the Robertson thing. he is a bit of the invisible man and for a guy that big doesn't really get in about players, also he missed a load of headers against (compared to him) midgets, like i said maybe i am just missing all this work he does :unsure:

Could well be me mate !!!

He has to offer more, but thought he put in some could challenges today. Think he may have been asked to play just in front of defence and not go beyond half way line. One time he did break forward, the move looked really promising until someone misplace the pass and we were then cut short of numbers at the back.

Could well be me mate !!!

He has to offer more, but thought he put in some could challenges today. Think he may have been asked to play just in front of defence and not go beyond half way line. One time he did break forward, the move looked really promising until someone misplace the pass and we were then cut short of numbers at the back.

like i said seen him three times and am underwhelmed, hopefully better to come.

Thought a draw was about the right result today, we started a bit slow but came onto a game. Met a guy i hadnt seen at firhill in years he said he enjoyed the game and would deffo be back more often

Fox- didnt look at his best today and lets be honest his mistake for the goal was fodder for the like of Jimmy Greaves

Paton- did well defensively as usual but i find his one footedness totally infuriating

Sinclair-Imrie gave him the runaround for 20-25 mins but he got better as game went on

Robertson- tbh i didnt notice him do a lot wrong then again i didnt see him do alot right either

Balatoni- started poorly but got better as game went on

Archibald-same as Balatoni

Cairney- Thought he put an immense shift in today seemed to be evrywhere my MOM by a mile

Rowson-where would we be without Rowser another good shift from him

Doolan- worked his socks off only a matter of time before he starts banging them in

Stewart- thought he did well today looked hungry

Flannigan- was always looking for the ball which was good even if he didnt always do well with it. Think he is a confidence player the more he starts the better he will be

Elliot-Took his goal really well , set up Flanigan for a header with almost his first touch. Looked very eager to please which is understandable. Same again next week young man

Campbell- got stuck in when he came on always good to see

Lindsay-wasnt on long enough

I'll stay out the Flannigan debate apart from saying he wasn't the worst tho' I was surprised he played the ninety minutes. More crucial imo was the whole midfield watching the game pass them by for most of the first half. Cairney came on to a game in the second half and he seems to be getting his stamina back but good game or not his total lack of pace is a worry. I'm not sure we can field both Robertson and Cairney in the same midfield without going on the back foot.

I'll stay out the Flannigan debate apart from saying he wasn't the worst tho' I was surprised he played the ninety minutes. More crucial imo was the whole midfield watching the game pass them by for most of the first half. Cairney came on to a game in the second half and he seems to be getting his stamina back but good game or not his total lack of pace is a worry. I'm not sure we can field both Robertson and Cairney in the same midfield without going on the back foot.

if Sinclair had not had to come off injured i think Erskine would have been on for Flanagan

fair comment about robertson today game passed him

back 4 i think for robbo (or centre forward :thinking: )

as for cairney couln't disagree more

as i've said previously cairney reminds me of ronnie glavin

glavin wasn't fast ;he was hard in the tackle not afraid to push forward or have a poke at goal

cairney will come good for us lets get behind this lad :thumbsup2:

play cairney centre midfield

if Sinclair had not had to come off injured i think Erskine would have been on for Flanagan

I agree. I really felt that we were 2 players short of a really good team. Christie did very well when he came on for Stewart. But I like my players to work hard for the team and Flannigan didnt. He was so off the pace at times- same as Robertson.

I thought we played some nice stuff at times. We were always going to be out of possession for spells of the game but I thought we did OK. We weren't really troubled (unless Imrie had the ball as no-one could tackle him in the knowledge that the wee dick would fall to the ground). Balatoni got caught out a couple of times early on but learnt from it and had a good game. Entire back line was decent.

Midfield looked more on the ball today and Cairney for me was the stand out. Rowson did well (as usual).

New guy took his goal very well and a good position to be in, having competition for the front line.

Happy with a point as before the game I doubted we could get anything. Onwards and upwards.

Having played two of the pre-season favourites for the title, I cannot really see why they are classed as such?

fair comment about robertson today game passed him

back 4 i think for robbo (or centre forward :thinking: )

as for cairney couln't disagree more

as i've said previously cairney reminds me of ronnie glavin

glavin wasn't fast ;he was hard in the tackle not afraid to push forward or have a poke at goal

cairney will come good for us lets get behind this lad :thumbsup2:

play cairney centre midfield

In truth my point I was making was aimed more at Robertson. Cairney brings more than enough to the table to justify selection but I don't feel there's room for two players in our midfield so slow of pace.

Thought Flannigan was rotten as usual, just dont think he is that interested which is frustrating becuse he is capable of producing the goods.

Jackie has to play robertson at the back or not at all, even then i still would not be confident with him playing. He is a complete passenger when playing in midfield and is strange that the tallest guy on the park cant win a header.

the rest of the team played well i thought but still making too many daft mistakes. I could not understand the tactics today as the at times we looked lost.

If rowson gets injured then we will be in a bit of bother i think. He has been different class this season so far, almost like a new signing, he looks fitter and stronger than ever before and as always gives 100% if only he could add a wee bit of skill to his game and he woulod be the best player in the league or not far off it.

In truth my point I was making was aimed more at Robertson. Cairney brings more than enough to the table to justify selection but I don't feel there's room for two players in our midfield so slow of pace.

I watched Robertson for a spell in the second half, when he patrolled a square of turf about thirty metres by twenty, within which was the centre circle. The ball pinged around him, but never to him. He tracked a few runs, and positionally, presumably was doing what was expected of him, sitting in front of the back four. But for me, all he was doing was taking up space and covering ground. There wasn't a hell of a lot more. No doubt folk will think I'm being a bit harsh, but when you're not doing anything and aren't noticed because of it, then you are not contributing. In short, we need to sign Claude Makalele.

I didn't think Cairney did particularly well today (certainly not MOTM as some are suggesting). He did a lot better in the 2nd half and certainly had one of his better performances in the last year or so, but he slowed things down a lot and got closed down far too easily. Defensively I suppose he was above his average by a fair margin.

I watched Robertson for a spell in the second half, when he patrolled a square of turf about thirty metres by twenty, within which was the centre circle. The ball pinged around him, but never to him. He tracked a few runs, and positionally, presumably was doing what was expected of him, sitting in front of the back four. But for me, all he was doing was taking up space and covering ground. There wasn't a hell of a lot more. No doubt folk will think I'm being a bit harsh, but when you're not doing anything and aren't noticed because of it, then you are not contributing. In short, we need to sign Claude Makalele.

I think thats kind of the point. Cairney to play in the centre; point is who plays wide

I think thats kind of the point. Cairney to play in the centre; point is who plays wide

i am quite happy for cairney to play in the middle, but he needs to remember that he is supposed to find space when his team are attacking not the other way round :rolleyes:

a midfield three with him rowson and between banagan and campbell would be fine with a front three from doolan, stewart,erskine, elliot and flanagan

Fox dropped ball into net for their goal, there was no foul on him. Didn't think he was all that great today.

Can't agree that Flannigan was p1sh. Thought he worked hard and certainly looked interested. Never always came off for him but to say he wasn't interested is just wrong. He played a huge part in our goal. Each to their own mind you.

What this man said.

No Flannigan = no goal today.

Cannot believe the absolute nonsense that is spouted by certain people that claim to follow the Jags.

Can't quite believe that McNamara continues to persevere with Flannigan. Yes he set up the goal, fair doos. However, he also gave the ball away countless times, one of which led to the corner for the Hamilton goal. The guy is not interested, he is a passenger.

Furthermore, I read further up someone saying the tactics would have worked if Fox hadn't dropped the ball. Utter rubbish - Hamilton should have been 3-0 up at half time. They cut us open with ease in the first half and really did miss some sitters. Sinclair is a real find, but he's wasted at this club - I just hope his career doesn't suffer by playing with some of the complete idiots that pose as footballers at Thistle just now.

Christie took his goal really well, could be a good signing.

Feel really bad for Fox, but I guess it just goes to show that world class keepers don't play in div 1. We need to accept that any keeper at this level is prone to his fair share of howlers.

Overall I am still deeply concerned about Jackie's team selection and substitutions. By neglecting the young players he is risking years of investment in youth development which is finally producing some players with a bit of talent. The only guy in the starting 11 today who came through our youth system was Archie!

I've said it before but Bannigan should be in the starting 11, no question.

Overall I am still deeply concerned about Jackie's team selection and substitutions. By neglecting the young players he is risking years of investment in youth development which is finally producing some players with a bit of talent. The only guy in the starting 11 today who came through our youth system was Archie!

This is a good point. Towards the end of last season many of us were expecting several of our youngsters to be playing a big role in the 1st team this season, but they are nowhere to be seen. And we've yet to win a match with the players that JM deems are superior.

This is a good point. Towards the end of last season many of us were expecting several of our youngsters to be playing a big role in the 1st team this season, but they are nowhere to be seen. And we've yet to win a match with the players that JM deems are superior.

Jackie said that some were played last season through necessity and not choice and though they were doing well he would (given the time) rather play them in, also that some of them having played a few game thought they were first team regulars now which they were not.

we have the old thistle problem of not being able to score, we could go out and sign all the players that us armchair managers think would score, but would they and that is Jackie's problem, he has a tight budget and a team of youngsters he is trying to protect from getting humped and us from the abuse they would get