Just In

GrantB

McNeil had a couple of very good saves but his handling all day was excellent. If our central defence is slow their three central defenders were as panicky as hell. In that respect I can see how McNeil got MoM.

I thought Fox was fouled leading up to their 2nd goal so I'm far from blaming our goalie for the defeat. Besides we really should have had the game won by then anyway.

Assuming we don't join them I really hope that Livi shower are relegated. Detest going to that soulless place.

I don't believe some of our support, if Hinchy or Halliwell were flapping & losing goals the way Fox is just now we would all be going off our nut. He cost us 2 points v Hamilton and another today, plus he wasn't very clever at Falkirk. This is a result of no real competition so he knows he'll be playing next week no matter how he plays. He had the ball in his hands & managed to drop it again, not good enough.

I'm more raging at the ref stopping play for an 'injury' to a Livvy player when we were attacking them heavily in the last few minutes. Our 'reward' was the ball back at Fox and we never threatened again.

Regarding the kick on Sinclair, I watched the ball being cleared & never saw it, I did notice the linesman run after the ball as well, so he had no real chance of seeing it. That said he should keep in line with the last defender so he should have seen it

Rant over, I'm away for a beer :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

That was a bit of a weird one today.

One of the things that stuck out was the difference in approach with Livi playing with two largely static forwards and us with our mobile pair. Livi moved the ball forward very quickly to two guys that they knew would be up there waiting for it. We played neat passing football and a number of times we got the ball in a wide postion with no Deuchar-esque player looking to receive it. Once, Elliot worked the ball down the right and played in a great ball, but errr... he wasn't in the middle to collect it - nobody was...

Putting it in perspective, we play great football that's lovely to watch and we won't get relegated. We won't win the league either, but we'll have some great games like last week's.

I'd have been gutted just to take a point away from that one today, so needless to say I'm devastated at not picking up anything.

You cannot fault the performance today, that was some of the best football I've seen us play in a long long time. We kept it on the ground (for the most part), played some lovely interchanging passes in the midfield and always looked a handful when we reached the final third. At the back, Sinclair looked a menace when running forward, and Paton put some really good challenges.

Regarding their goal, Fox did make an error with dropping that ball. But lets remember, they didn't score immediately after that. They hooked it into the air, it was cleared as far as the edge of the box and then they found the net because our defence was too slow in closing the man down. Also on the first goal, our back line (i.e. Archie) should have had the Dr. in his back pocket, but he broke free and scored with a pretty powderpuff header.

The fact is, Fox made a really good save in the first 2mins of the game to claw a shot round the post, and then did well getting down to his left in the final 10mins. He will save us more points than we lose. Our problem is with the pace of Archie. He's simply got too slow, and some of his passes today were not up to scratch.

Overall, a good performance, just marred with the typical Thistle "glorious failure" routine. But I enjoyed todays loss far more than I enjoyed the win over QoS a few weeks back. If we continue to play like today, we will be a safe mid-table bet.

For those moaning that we never score last-minute goals, we pulled back a 0-3 to 3-3 with Gretna in the last ten minutes and scored a 94th minute equaliser against Peterhead to keep a tie alive. And that's without even giving it much thought. Swings and roundabouts.

Regarding today, disappointed to lose but glad to hear we played well. At least we're trying to play decent football. Really enjoyed last week vs Ayr and looking forward to a proper footballing #FirhillFriday against Morton.

For those moaning that we never score last-minute goals, we pulled back a 0-3 to 3-3 with Gretna in the last ten minutes and scored a 94th minute equaliser against Peterhead to keep a tie alive. And that's without even giving it much thought. Swings and roundabouts.

They were both truly memorable but that was 05/06 (I think?), we've already lost 2 out of 7 league games this season to last minute goals. Most teams' fans are going to think they get the short straw in terms of last minute goals but I think we've got more of a case than most.

Since McNamara became manager we have picked up just 1pt away from home.This has to improve as it means we cant afoard to drop many pts at Firhill or we are in trouble.

And it wasn't much better under McCall.. we've been shite on the road for years.

I'd have been happy with a point before the game today. Gutted at the way it seemed to pan out though as judging by the text commentary we were the team on top. So much show that Rowser could even throw shit at them!

Edited by Vom Itorium

I wasn't there yesterday and Fox has made a couple of errors this season already. We have all been singing his praises since he arrived, the mark of a truly good keeper is to put blunders behind him and not let his confidence get knocked. Let's hope it works out that way.

When the team is confident and playing well we can play some good stuff and now and again batter teams but when that doesn't work we have no plan B due to the lack of a decent big man up front. When we are not confident and playing well we are hopeless and never look like nicking anything scrappy. We rely too much on our gameplan working out well and even that is no guarantee of success as we are too one dimensional, easy to figure out and not clinical enough. If you are going to an adopt an Arsenal-esque approach to keeping the ball and playing it on the deck you need to be a bloody good team or you won't win and will struggle, see Swansea in the Prem this season.

As for the defence, you can excuse a slow centre back if he is a beast and wins everything in the air but we have 2 centre backs who are slow and not particularly big or great in the air. To me that makes no sense.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Don't buy this don't apportion blame nonsense.

Fox, Conrad and Archi (terrible) are the reasons we lost that game. The first goal should never have been a goal, Archi was nowhere in relation to Deuchar, and the ball went in so slowly, its defensive and goalkeeping error in my book.

The second one was awful, and its Fox again. King conrad not helping (garbage). We need a second goalkeeper, there is no competition.

Through christie was super, cairney (corners aside), rowson, hutton all good.

Doolan was poor as was Erskine, right decision to take him off. Really unfortunate result. Sort it out at the back.

Gutted to lose that. Played good stuff and Sinclair & Elliot look like cracking finds. Rowson and Cairney also had good games.

Really enjoying watching the football Jackie is getting the team to play - massive difference from that of McCall's. We have to bear in mind the players are still getting used to our change in approach, we arent clinical enough at the moment but hopefully that will come on more once we get further into the season.

Seems to be anybody's league this year. Mon ra Jags!

The reason why he we didn't win is because our defence isn't very good. It's been shakey since pre-season and nothing has changed. We won't keep much clean sheets this season unless there's a dramatic change.

Our defence will cost us this season.

I can't think how more people aren't saying this: in fact at the start of the season a lot of folk were saying it but seem to have forgotten now. Several things to my mind:

One, we should have kept Robertson, or if it was his decision to go brought in a suitable replacment (I suppose we did in that we signed another Robertson but he's nearly ten years younger than John R but still a lot slower - I think we could have got better; must be a few decent if a bit rough centre backs in a lower division).

Another thing was outwith the control of the manager: re-signing Balatoni looked a good move considering how well he was playing towards the end of last season. He now seems to have gone backwards as a player for no apparent reason. If he doesn't shape up we might be better playing O'Donnel or Lindsay.

Archie is getting past it: he'll still be able to handle certain type of forward but against some attacks he'll really struggle. Problem with him is he's never been a 'leader' despite being given the captain armband. So doesn't really make up for slowing down with being able to organise the guys around him - needs a relatively experienced guy beside him in order to make a decent defensive partnership. Him and Kinniburgh are our best partnership, as WK at least has a bit of pace (relatively to the other centre backs).

Not sure how much I feel the weak defence will cost us - we're good going forward and will still win games because of that. Would be better if Doolan got some form back (he still works very hard but it isn't there at the moment) as we'd take more of the chances we create.

I feel we'll be hit and miss until we get the defence sorted. We won't challenge but as long as we keep playing good football (i.e. the heads don't go down) we'll not get caught in the relegation struggle either.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I can't think how more people aren't saying this: in fact at the start of the season a lot of folk were saying it but seem to have forgotten now. Several things to my mind:

One, we should have kept Robertson, or if it was his decision to go brought in a suitable replacment (I suppose we did in that we signed another Robertson but he's nearly ten years younger than John R but still a lot slower - I think we could have got better; must be a few decent if a bit rough centre backs in a lower division).

Another thing was outwith the control of the manager: re-signing Balatoni looked a good move considering how well he was playing towards the end of last season. He now seems to have gone backwards as a player for no apparent reason. If he doesn't shape up we might be better playing O'Donnel or Lindsay.

Archie is getting past it: he'll still be able to handle certain type of forward but against some attacks he'll really struggle. Problem with him is he's never been a 'leader' despite being given the captain armband. So doesn't really make up for slowing down with being able to organise the guys around him - needs a relatively experienced guy beside him in order to make a decent defensive partnership. Him and Kinniburgh are our best partnership, as WK at least has a bit of pace (relatively to the other centre backs).

Not sure how much I feel the weak defence will cost us - we're good going forward and will still win games because of that. Would be better if Doolan got some form back (he still works very hard but it isn't there at the moment) as we'd take more of the chances we create.

I feel we'll be hit and miss until we get the defence sorted. We won't challenge but as long as we keep playing good football (i.e. the heads don't go down) we'll not get caught in the relegation struggle either.

pretty fair summary i think,

Im not disappointed with replacing the robertsons...i think thats a decent bit of business by Jackie,

i also think feel Jackie needs a season to realise just how to win games as a manger. Yesterday was the perfect example of that. he's going about things the right way though & I agree, we will be really hit & miss.

I think next season is our best bet for a putting a consistent & strong run together.

Archie's best years are behind him but he's still got a lot to offer for this season & possibly next

From the live updates it sounded as it the Livi 'keeper played a blinder but nobody has mentioned it here yet.

Man of the Match, I reckon. Dealt with crosses and corners perfectly, and one point-blank save from Cairney in the 2nd half. Cairney had an excellent match, but should have buried that (and probably would 9 times out of 10). As somebody mentioned, his corners were all floaters that the keeper dealt with easily, but I reckon that's what he was instructed to do. Doolan should have scored in the first half, but he opted to pass it to Elliott, who should also have scored but was probably surprised to receive the pass when everybody thought that Doolan would shoot.

In all, the team played really well; we'll play much worse and lose. Paton and somebody else shouldn't have allowed them to scramble free on the wing for the cross to come in for Livi's first. Deuchar took the header really well, but he was unmarked.

Sinclair looks top notch. Hutton looks classy too, but tried to be too classy on a couple of occasions and got caught out. Archie and Balatoni played solidly, thought the former had one crazy moment in the second half that we were lucky to escape from. Rowser never stopped running; great effort. Elliott looks like he could do a lot of damage to a lot of teams. Took his goal well; it basically came out of the blue from a half-hearted clearance by a defender. Doolan put in a shift, but little to show for it. Erskine had a couple of good runs, but little came off.

The team played well together, but I was worried in the last 10 min because Livi seemed to have more steam left than we did. They were heading direct for goal, whereas we were persisting with our slow, tip-tap-try-patiently-to-find-an-opening routine. And unfortunately it is routine to the point where defences can often suss it out. Livi finished the stronger.

As for Fox, well, he's a great keeper, but that's several times where he's failed to deal with a cross on his line. Halliwell got slaughtered for as much last season.

So, instead of being within one victory from going top of the league, we're now one point away from the relegation spot. Victory over Morton on Friday is a must.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Gutted that we lost but if you dont take your chances you wont win. Livvy keeper made a few good saves when players were left one on one with him and he had one save for the cameras from a rowson effort. We dominated about 75% of that game i thought livvy were very one dimensional in that they always played the long ball to deuchar.They actually looked more dangerous when he went off. They went down very easily when challenged and lunged into a few tackles that the dopey ref and linesman let go. Was looking forward to seeing Russell as i had heard he was good----no he isnt hes crap couldnt kick his own arse, he is a thug though his kicking of sinclair after the ball had gone was shocking and how the linesman missed it is beyond belief. Thought we played very well for the most part but were cuaght out a few times when trying to overplay it. Gutted that we lost but we have played worse and won. Really need a victory on friday night cant afford to 9 points behind leaders.

This. Faced with that loose ball at the end that they scored from, we'd probably have tried to pass it in nearer the goal before somebody dared to shoot.

I totally disagre with people continually saying we should have kept John Robertson. He was a great servant to the club but he was equally to blame as the defenders we currently have for losing goals. One game at the end of last season when Robertson was to blame for the loss at home to Cowdenbeath springs to mind.

I feel that until the central defensive problem is sorted, we'll stagnate in mid table which is a shame as the football we are capable of playing is worthy of a higher place in the league. Having said that, I was impressed with O'Donnell when he came on. He's a big, strong looking guy.

I feel that until the central defensive problem is sorted, we'll stagnate in mid table which is a shame as the football we are capable of playing is worthy of a higher place in the league. Having said that, I was impressed with O'Donnell when he came on. He's a big, strong looking guy.

I thought he looked impressive too. Worth giving him a few starts to get him up to match fitness, I reckon.

With him, Sinclair, Hutton and Elliott, it's good to see a Thistle team with some height and bulk for once.

Agree with others that Deuchar's goal should never have happened but that's the sort of goal he's been scoring for years so no doubt plenty other experienced defenders have been caught out as well. Not blaming him for the slack marking but am I alone in thinking that Sinclair could have got goalside of Deuchar?

Not sure how many corners we had in the last 15-20 minutes but we played with a significant height advantage after Deuchar was subbed and their No4 was replaced. The height advantage even increased when O'Donnell came on. I can't mind the last time we've played against relative midgets. For so long it's been the other way about.

If it wasn't that we are Thistle I couldn't see Livi holding out never mind winning the game. Sadly it wasn't just a point dropped yesterday but all three and coming to think of it a likely drop in attendance on Friday (when we could've gone top of the league).

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Agree with others that Deuchar's goal should never have happened but that's the sort of goal he's been scoring for years so no doubt plenty other experienced defenders have been caught out as well. Not blaming him for the slack marking but am I alone in thinking that Sinclair could have got goalside of Deuchar?

Not sure how many corners we had in the last 15-20 minutes but we played with a significant height advantage after Deuchar was subbed and their No4 was replaced. The height advantage even increased when O'Donnell came on. I can't mind the last time we've played against relative midgets. For so long it's been the other way about.

If it wasn't that we are Thistle I couldn't see Livi holding out never mind winning the game. Sadly it wasn't just a point dropped yesterday but all three and coming to think of it a likely drop in attendance on Friday (when we could've gone top of the league).

We as supporters need to spread the word that Thistle are playing good football and encourage those lapsed fans/neutrals/etc along starting on Friday. It was very clear from the meeting on Thursday that even a relatively small increase in fans paying at the gate could make a big difference to us.

Seems like a good time to remind people about the great hospitality offer available for Friday:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/september_2011/morton_hospitality

We as supporters need to spread the word that Thistle are playing good football and encourage those lapsed fans/neutrals/etc along starting on Friday. It was very clear from the meeting on Thursday that even a relatively small increase in fans paying at the gate could make a big difference to us.

Seems like a good time to remind people about the great hospitality offer available for Friday:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/september_2011/morton_hospitality

Yep, thanks for the reminder. A good deal, that I'll be taking up.