Another Away Defeat?

Auld Jag

Have never been able to fathom why a team is expected to win at home and struggle away from home. The only real difference is that in most cases you have the majority of support when at home and vice versa. Every team plays on a similar length pitch with the same size of goals, so why should it be different when we play away. Can only put it down to managers being more cautious away from home, why that is the case I dont know. It was incredulous to think that was the same team that hammered Morton a few weeks ago. Bloody awful performance!!

Maybe it's the bus trip? Get them to car share to away games like they travel to Firhill, when they can eat Monster Munch out of sight of the gaffer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have never been able to fathom why a team is expected to win at home and struggle away from home. The only real difference is that in most cases you have the majority of support when at home and vice versa. Every team plays on a similar length pitch with the same size of goals, so why should it be different when we play away. Can only put it down to managers being more cautious away from home, why that is the case I dont know. It was incredulous to think that was the same team that hammered Morton a few weeks ago. Bloody awful performance!!

agreed, 1700 at that game today, hardly an intimidating atmosphere!!!

I dont think we will win the league.But imo this away form puts pressure on our home games, If we were to lose next week how many of us really think we will get anything at Dens.I know Dundee are poor at the moment but before today Raith hadnt won in about 5 matches.If we dont sort the away form out soon we will be getting closer to the bottom of the league.

kris doolan AND tommy stewart need to take a long hard look at themselves.

so bad today it was untrue.

Not disagreeing with you but singling out just two players kinda gives the impression that most of the others put in passable performances. Too much didn't come off for Hutton and Cairney to say they had good games but they still appeared the only two players who would get pass marks.

Up till today I didn't subscribe to all this canny play away from home stuff. Thought we were hard done by at Falkirk & Livingston and deserved our point at Dingwall.

Today tho' it looked from the kick off that we weren't up for it. Collective failing imo.

and btw I doubt that even Raith fans rate Brian Graham (similar type of player to Grehan) but for all his faults I thought he was far more effective than any of our attacking players today. :(

absolute embarassment of a performance today. we didnt get started at all, didnt have a shot at goal until around the hour mark when sinclair had a cross come shot come passback that the keeper saved easily. we are shocking defending high balls, corners and set pieces. the first goal from a corner to the backpost, the boy beats balatoni and headers it across goal, the ball bounces twice about 3 yards from goal and fox and the defenders shite it and ellis sticks it in from point blank range.

Fox is a fcukin nightmare, his kicking and throwing out was dreadful all day and he's constantly glued to his line, he should have been out to catch that corner and at least have got a hand on the ball as it bounced along the goals, he's like a rabbit in the headlights, not good enough, we need someone in to keep him on his toes as hes been pish this season.

the 2nd goal came from nothing really, as far as i remember their guy was in our box and running away from goal looking for a pass, he went down looking for a penalty, our defenders stood like statues as normal and not reacting, the guy got up quickly as he realised he wasnt getting a pen, i think he swivelled round and sent a cross to the back post where baird was standing unmarked to header in.

cairney and erskine would have been the only one to get pass marks today, paton was abysmal and should have been subbed at half time, it was embarassing how slow and one footed he was today but for some reason fox kept throwing the ball out to the right hand side for him and o'donnell to link up.

cant get my head round how bad we were after the morton game (which i missed so i couldnt wait for it today). fcuk knows what jackie has been doing with them the last 2 weeks, for an international defender he should be able to organise a defence a whole lot better, after the morton game he should know we are shite at defending the first ball, but we dont even react to the second ball either, its schoolboy stuff, this boy Alagui will tear us a new hole next week. Raith were pish aswell into the bargain, it annoys the shit out of me how Grant Murray was one of the worst defenders we've had but he's a fcuking machine everytime he plays against us, wins every ball in the air and is passing the ball about like puyol at the back.

the pie wis red hot around the outside and stone cold in the middle, the tomato sauce was so sour i think it was off and the irn bru was pish, apart from that i had a great day. roll on next week.

Edited by jags on tour

Well today was absolutely sickening. Back to the good old, punt-fest football! The two goals we lost were criminal. Archie needs to organise that defence better, especially from set pieces, it's anyone's guess why he is still starting games, never mind the captain.

Nobody gets pass marks from me. Fox's kicking was suspect, and the back line was rank rotten. On that subject, Paton should be dropped for a few games, the lack of competition before O'Donnell's arrival at right-back has made him think he can put in any old rubbish shift and still deserve a start. We had nothing from the midfield, and our attackers were non-existent.

Away fans are far more vocal than home fans, so there can be no reason for our awful away record. It's really becoming tiresome. Get it sorted!

kris doolan AND tommy stewart need to take a long hard look at themselves.

so bad today it was untrue.

With regards to Stewart coming on I was wondering if anyone knew if Elliot went off injured or anything? I wasnt there but reading the review he set up the best chance we had in the first half only for Doolan to miss. If Elliot was not injured then I cannot see why the Manager would take off potentially the player most likely to score in place of Stewart who potentially is fast becoming the new Jim Hamilton or Stephen MConalogue with what is begining to look like a questionable attitude

With regards to Stewart coming on I was wondering if anyone knew if Elliot went off injured or anything? I wasnt there but reading the review he set up the best chance we had in the first half only for Doolan to miss. If Elliot was not injured then I cannot see why the Manager would take off potentially the player most likely to score in place of Stewart who potentially is fast becoming the new Jim Hamilton or Stephen MConalogue with what is begining to look like a questionable attitude

We weren't sure at the game whether Elliot was injured or not. My guess was yes as he was substitited so close to half time.

As for Stewart, he wasn't alone in not having much impact on the team. He had a better game than Doolan who apart from his chance that he balooned over the bar when in acres of space in the first 10 mins, contributed absolutely nothing. In his (and Stewart's) defence, they didn't have a great deal of good service.

It is easy to over react following a defeat.

I was delighted following the Morton win, but equally disappointed today.

We are an absolute joke at defending set pieces. This time 6 months ago, I thought Scott Fox was the best kept goalkeeping secret in Scotland, but he's fast losing my confidence and patience, too many mistakes, too many crosses he should have taken. Needs to improve vastly.

Paton can go anytime, at times sweet right foot, but I hope todays change (Erskine at Right mid, O'Donnell at right back) will potentially signal the end of Paton's career at Thistle, his lack of improvement on his left foot means he does not deserve to be a full time professional. Got a sweet right foot for maybe half a dozen crosses a season, but punt him, absolute dud. I was talking to someone recently, honestly can't remember who, but they told me he's chucking football unless he's playing SPL in a year or 2 because he can earn twice as much with his dads engineering company. Well Paul, rap it now son, you are nowhere near good enough. Paddy Boyle was dreadful, and he's SPL, but your absolute bollocks mate, so chuck and go and work with your dads engineering company if you want because you've no chance.

Archie and Balatonni, no pace, and they don't command centre forwards. 2 week ago, aye we won 5-0, going forward we were excellent, but 5-3 or 5-4 would have been better, because Jackson and McDonald ran they 2 ragged.

This was Sinclairs worst game for us, he was awful, but he's been great so far so I will forgive him the odd shocker.

Midfield, Cairney was good I felt, Rowser, well look at my signature, for me, Rowser can do no wrong, he closes down tirelessly, but he needs to do a wee bit more on occasions.

Hutton was pish first half but second half his range of passing was class.

O'Donnell was pretty anonymous I felt.

Doolan/Stewart/Elliot, I have nothing to say about them today because I have no memory of the 3 of them touching the ball.

Spineless absolute crap away from home, sick of diddy teams beating us. How can Grant Murray look like Franz Beckanbuer against us?

Sort it Jackie because this pish won't do away from home, garbage mate.

I was just saying the same thing last night. I have NEVER been able to work out whether playing at home or away can make such a difference. The bottom line is it's 11 v 11 on a football pitch. Why should the surroundings and number of fans make a difference??

I was just saying the same thing last night. I have NEVER been able to work out whether playing at home or away can make such a difference. The bottom line is it's 11 v 11 on a football pitch. Why should the surroundings and number of fans make a difference??

My thoughts exactly GJ!

Any team can win one week and lose the next but to go from near brilliance against Morton to utter utter pish away at Raith takes some doing. We created virtually nothing. We were so slow moving the ball it was embarassing. We couldn't be arsed making obvious simply wee runs to create space.

Not wanting to make scapegoats because everyone was ******* shite but Doolan and Stewart up top were particularly pants.

The only good thing to come out of yesterday was convincing a Polish guy on the Edinburgh to Glasgow train to support Thistle which took some doing as he spoke virtually no English. I hope he didn't get home and check Ceefax to see if we were as good as we told them.

Meh, not unexpected. We're shite away from home, most of the teams in this league are pretty similar too. I've only seen us win one away game in the last two years, I've missed a few, but you really wonder sometimes if we'll win another game away from home ever again.

Stewart is absolutely hopeless, players have bad games every now and then, but hes just consistently bad. Fox is getting that way too, if we had another keeper with any sort of reputation or ability I'd drop him. Balatoni can't go back to Hearts quick enough based on how he has played this year.

Edited by MWM

The manager gives his reaction and it seems to agree with what has already been said:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/october_2011/raith_rovers_after_match_reaction

The important thing now is to move on and get behind the team in big numbers at Firhill on Saturday.

Yep good on McNamara for clearing upwhy Christie Elliot was talen off.

Next week will be a decent crowd but will be down on what would have been if we had a decent performance yesterday. We will match the 2500 break even point but not sure we will get near 3000 which we could have done if yesterdays game had been better. The players have to blme themselves for that.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Yesterdays performance has made me think twice about next Saturday, I am sure I will not be alone. With some excellent big trips coming ip as well (Dundee/QOS) it makes it a bit easier to just say no.

No point in simply re-iterating points made already in this thread, but I will say that we will play much better than we did yesterday and still lose; that's how poor we were. I usually don't like it when people say that we were beaten by a crap team, but Raith really did look very ordinary, yet won just about every ball in midfield (the number of stray passes from us was truly shocking).

A win is essential to restore confidence next week, otherwise I can see a serious downturn ahead.

I so dislike Linoleum town. :mad:

Can we not just play all our games at home from now on? :wall:

Yesterdays performance has made me think twice about next Saturday, I am sure I will not be alone. With some excellent big trips coming ip as well (Dundee/QOS) it makes it a bit easier to just say no.

I've heard Dundee described as many things, but an 'excellent big trip' is not one of them :confused1::crazy:

Kill-joy atmosphere-strangling enjoyment-murdering power-mad hi-viz anal-holes.

And knowing our luck, fact we are Thistle, we WILL lose against that cheating thieving mob, and give them their first home win of the season, it's written in the constellations.

I doubt I'll go to Dens especially as we're likely to get housed in the bendy stand (£19 :o ) with the restricted view. Don't like missing the Jags play but the appeal of not going to Dundee is too strong.

Can however see that the trip by train and a few pints in the centre and taxi up to the ground could be a good enough away day. Can't really believe tho' it could be a patch on Dingwall, Dumfries or Ayr.

I doubt I'll go to Dens especially as we're likely to get housed in the bendy stand (£19 :o ) with the restricted view. Don't like missing the Jags play but the appeal of not going to Dundee is too strong.

Can however see that the trip by train and a few pints in the centre and taxi up to the ground could be a good enough away day. Can't really believe tho' it could be a patch on Dingwall, Dumfries or Ayr.

Is it really £19?? For that dump?

:o

If so, then I really will think twice about going there. The point needs to made that clubs cannot abuse the goodwill of supporters, home or away.

I used to have a couple of mates at uni in Dundee so know my way around the bars and stuff and it's a good place for a day/night in the pubs but even with that I'm not going to Dens unless it's a mega important game.

All the one you mentioned are far better, in fact even Kirkcaldy is good as far as Fife goes, knowing it was Saturday or Dens for me away games this month I chose Saturday.

I don't think we've ever played so well and then so poorly in consecutive games ever with Morton/Raith. There really was not one positive to take from it.