Well right now you are looking at:

Out: Three - Stewart, Burns, Griffin

In: Three - Murray, Muirhead, Lawless - ?

Who knows - Robertson, various youngsters

Contracts offered - Baird, Welsh

I'd doubt Lawless and Muirhead as youngsters would be on much different to Burns and Griffin, Murray similar(ish) to Stewart. Then it all depends on other things. Is Kinniburgh going? Will the remaining out of contract players get offers? I'd also possibly suggest some of the new additions to the BoD within the last couple of years may be providing the finance to try and prize the likes of Baird. We've naturally got less money coming in without the Warriors.

I'd hugely disagree with what is in bold. Lawless was in the first-team squad of an SPL club, whilst Muirhead is giving up a job outside of football to go full-time. I'd imagine both will be on more than Burns (Lawless definitely will), and certainly more than Griffin who was just an apprentice. Murray will definitely be on higher wages than Stewart too.

You talk of the remaining players who are out of contract, but it's really just Robertson. The rest are just kids.

Re: additional finance from board members. If that is the case then fine, but a) I'm doubtful and b ) it would just be nice to know.

Edited by 1971

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is reasonable to assume that Stevenson and Ketterer can be added to the list of departures. Robertson and McGrotty are out of contract too. So that's 7 out and, if the rumours are true, 3 in.

Edited by kni

Well right now you are looking at:

Out: Three - Stewart, Burns, Griffin

In: Three - Murray, Muirhead, Lawless - ?

Who knows - Robertson, various youngsters

Contracts offered - Baird, Welsh

I'd doubt Lawless and Muirhead as youngsters would be on much different to Burns and Griffin, Murray similar(ish) to Stewart. Then it all depends on other things. Is Kinniburgh going? Will the remaining out of contract players get offers? I'd also possibly suggest some of the new additions to the BoD within the last couple of years may be providing the finance to try and prize the likes of Baird. We've naturally got less money coming in without the Warriors.

It isn't McDonald by the way. He is still a shareholder at Hamilton IIRC, he has just stepped down from the BoD.

If your 'one in one out' theory is correct, it still leaves something in the region of £100/200k shortfall with the Warriors going.

Lawless played twice last year for Motherwell. Against diddy teams in the cup. He is no different to them as our own youngsters who barely feature are to us.

Kind of missing the point here. A full-time youngster at an SPL club is going to be on significantly more than an apprentice at Thistle (which is what Griffin was), regardless of how often they play for the first team.

I actually forgot Cairney is leaving so that actually is four out, so that would probably cover Welsh.

More than our apprentices for Lawless, yeah, probably, but anything of significance? I really doubt it.

That leaves Baird, its interesting to me that we are even making an offer, despite the fact I think he'll get more from Dundee, an SPL club or down south. There is no way the club could afford to add him with current revenue, so it clearly has to be someone on the outside offering to cough up the money to pay his wages. This has actually happened in the past with a few players at the club, including someone still on the club's payroll.

Edited by MWM

Lawless played twice last year for Motherwell. Against diddy teams in the cup. He is no different to them as our own youngsters who barely feature are to us.

This. Other than that he's had a loan spell with Annan and two loan spells with Albion Rovers. Yes he comes from a club with a half decent youth system, but he's still untested at this level and will have been on peanuts with 'Well.

I wouldn't say we've come in under the radar for Hugh Murray! We've been linked with him since St Mirren announced his release. Or am I missing something?

I've never said that the player I was referring to was Hugh Murray.

The player I'm talking about is simply talking to us at the moment but, still, his name has not been mentioned in any media as a possible signing so I'm keeping my trap shut on the matter until further notice.

I've never said that the player I was referring to was Hugh Murray.

The player I'm talking about is simply talking to us at the moment but, still, his name has not been mentioned in any media as a possible signing so I'm keeping my trap shut on the matter until further notice.

So, was the player you were referring to Hugh Murray?

Where does this Lawless fella play? By my reckoning, if we get Welsh then all we need is a proven striker and we have a very good squad (assuming Muirhead can offer the versatility people are saying he can). If John Baird signs (highly unlikely I think) then great, if not, do we have a chance of getting Donnelly from Airdire?

Where does this Lawless fella play? By my reckoning, if we get Welsh then all we need is a proven striker and we have a very good squad (assuming Muirhead can offer the versatility people are saying he can). If John Baird signs (highly unlikely I think) then great, if not, do we have a chance of getting Donnelly from Airdire?

No

Jackie said to me yesterday that there was an experienced player coming (we now know that to be Murray) and two younger ones. Of the young lads he said one was an attacking midfielder who could play up front. Had great pace and an eye for a goal. Jackie was very enthusiastic about this lad.

Not certain but I think Lawless is a wide attacking midfielder. Maybe he can play in the Cairney/Erkine position just off the centre forward but he doesn't seem to be a noted scorer. No chance Donnelly and I'm maybe in a minority in not rating Baird as high as most. Think his impressive record against us is flattering a bit.

Donnelly is under contract.

Donnelly is under contract.

Yeah only just discovered that, and he's 20 so some sort of fee would be required anyway.

Not certain but I think Lawless is a wide attacking midfielder. Maybe he can play in the Cairney/Erkine position just off the centre forward but he doesn't seem to be a noted scorer. No chance Donnelly and I'm maybe in a minority in not rating Baird as high as most. Think his impressive record against us is flattering a bit.

I was thinking all that was missing was a wide midfielder, him and Welsh (if we get him) will see the midfield complete. Now a striker, Baird would do for me but wouldn't be too fussed if we didn't get him...was better at Airdrie than at Raith Rovers imo.

Kind of missing the point here. A full-time youngster at an SPL club is going to be on significantly more than an apprentice at Thistle (which is what Griffin was), regardless of how often they play for the first team.

Very probably but I think he was released by Motherwell therefore he is maybe just grateful to be offered a club if he has been offered a contract.

I may be being a bit pedantic here but I guess Dargo was never replaced so maybe a wage from there and off the pitch though they may not have been on a lot there hasnt been any replacements for Ian Cameron or Ami Small so maybe thats freed up some cash

• Members

Very probably but I think he was released by Motherwell therefore he is maybe just grateful to be offered a club if he has been offered a contract.

I may be being a bit pedantic here but I guess Dargo was never replaced so maybe a wage from there and off the pitch though they may not have been on a lot there hasnt been any replacements for Ian Cameron or Ami Small so maybe thats freed up some cash

I seem to recall Dargo was playing for free with the hope of winning a contact TL and we did sign McGuigan instead anyway. Cameron would have come out of the Youth funds as a youth team coach and I read elsewhere on the official site that money is set aside and taken care of with professional coaches at all levels of the Youths for the first time, so big investment there. Jackie will have a budget and it will have nothing to do with who has already gone. It will all depend on how much it costs to get his key positions filled and then after he finds how much he has left, he will then decide who of those he hasn't re-sgned yet he will keep.

I'd guess, (and if the rumours of the other two younger guyssigning are true) we're waiting on Welsh. I'd hope we're also looking for a Central defender, hence why Robertson hasn't yet been offered a contact. Other than that, unless we lose the likes of Sinclair or Doolan for a decent fee, and if we're working from a similar budget to last year, I'd be surprised if we make any other big name signings.

Gattuso.

I heard his name banded tonight from someone who used to play at the same side as him, apparently he (or rather his wife) wants to come back to glasgow and he is looking to do his coaching badges, normally I would say BS but from this guy no, and us plus a couple of other clubs were mentioned

I heard his name banded tonight from someone who used to play at the same side as him, apparently he (or rather his wife) wants to come back to glasgow and he is looking to do his coaching badges, normally I would say BS but from this guy no, and us plus a couple of other clubs were mentioned

No chance of Gattuso, he'll end up at Ibrokes, if they still exist

Gattuso would compliment Hugh Murray perfectly. If the board are serious about promotion then they really should push the boat out to get him in. He wouldn't be on that much, and Ian Cameron, Ami Small and Craig Dargo's wages are going spare. I really worry that if we don't sign him then the likes of Dundee, Dunfermline or Falkirk will.