New Statement From The Club

Third Lanark

On Official Website:

The fast moving events that have unfolded in Scottish football over the last few months have led to an unprecedented level of speculation.

To reiterate our statement of Friday; there is presently no decision for Partick Thistle, or any other SFL club, to make. Indeed there may never be a requirement for further discussion.

We, as a Club, are aware though that there has, over the last 24 hours or so, been much discussion on the subject among our supporters.

We are keen, therefore, to emphasise that should we be required to be involved in making a decision on the involvement of a newco Rangers club in the SFL that the views of our supporters will be of paramount importance to us.

Working closely with the onethistle group, we would make use of every avenue open to us to seek the views of, and canvas opinion from, our supporters to help us better formulate a position that promotes the best interests of Partick Thistle Football Club and Scottish Football as a whole.

We have believed for some time that fundamental changes need to be made to Scottish Football. The future of the sport in this country is too important not to involve the lifeblood of the game, the supporters, in making what we feel are the important changes necessary to safeguard the future of the game.

In the meantime the hard work continues at Firhill as we strive to provide a Partick Thistle team in which we can all take pride in.

We thank you for your continued support of Partick Thistle.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Official Website:

The fast moving events that have unfolded in Scottish football over the last few months have led to an unprecedented level of speculation.

To reiterate our statement of Friday; there is presently no decision for Partick Thistle, or any other SFL club, to make. Indeed there may never be a requirement for further discussion.

We, as a Club, are aware though that there has, over the last 24 hours or so, been much discussion on the subject among our supporters.

We are keen, therefore, to emphasise that should we be required to be involved in making a decision on the involvement of a newco Rangers club in the SFL that the views of our supporters will be of paramount importance to us.

Working closely with the onethistle group, we would make use of every avenue open to us to seek the views of, and canvas opinion from, our supporters to help us better formulate a position that promotes the best interests of Partick Thistle Football Club and Scottish Football as a whole.

We have believed for some time that fundamental changes need to be made to Scottish Football. The future of the sport in this country is too important not to involve the lifeblood of the game, the supporters, in making what we feel are the important changes necessary to safeguard the future of the game.

In the meantime the hard work continues at Firhill as we strive to provide a Partick Thistle team in which we can all take pride in.

We thank you for your continued support of Partick Thistle.

That's better that they are involving the fans.

Suddenly the club can't stop talking about this!

It's a step in the right direction and that's got to be better than running full tilt in the wrong direction like Beattie's been doing in the papers for the last couple of days. It would be nice to think it was heartfelt.

I don't even know quite what One Thistle is in practice, but it sounds like it might be acting as the angel on one shoulder whispering in the chairman's ear to cancel out the wee cheat-pandering devil on the other side.

So can we get a meeting? Aitken Suite, unrestricted entry, full and frank exchange of views kind of thing?

Good to see that they are realising that the fans should be involved.

It shouldn't have come to this, Beattie should have realised what the reaction was going to be with the reaction of the fans of the SPL clubs. Disappointed in his judgement.

I'd still be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt a bit. It's plausible that he could have been asked questions from one angle (i.e. if they were in the division what would the finacial impact be? or would newco in 1st div be a good thing for the league?) but his answer could have been strategically placed in by the journo who is coming at things from a specific angle, i.e to talk up the idea of newco in SFL1. It might not be as cut and dried as we think but the bottom line is DBs mantra should have been 'it's nothing to do with Thistle and if/when it becomes an issue we will deal the matter then'. End of, no room for 'creative license' no chance of being misrepresented and no groundswell of concern in the red and yellow army.

A good point made by a mate on facebook, would we have had this kind of response (and in as timely a manner) if a certain Mr Cowan was till at the helm?

I'd still be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt a bit. It's plausible that he could have been asked questions from one angle (i.e. if they were in the division what would the finacial impact be? or would newco in 1st div be a good thing for the league?) but his answer could have been strategically placed in by the journo who is coming at things from a specific angle, i.e to talk up the idea of newco in SFL1. It might not be as cut and dried as we think but the bottom line is DBs mantra should have been 'it's nothing to do with Thistle and if/when it becomes an issue we will deal the matter then'. End of, no room for 'creative license' no chance of being misrepresented and no groundswell of concern in the red and yellow army.

A good point made by a mate on facebook, would we have had this kind of response (and in as timely a manner) if a certain Mr Cowan was till at the helm?

Edited cause i didn't read it properly haha!

Edited by redandyellowallover

I think you're probably right in a lot of that. But of course a simple "no comment" isn't much use to a journalist, so he may have fired in some leading questions and then selectively quoted.

Just say no, then we can start buying season books. It's that simple for me :)

That's it in a nutshell. A simple statement, that PTFC would not vote for any newco automatically gaining access to Division 1 would satisfy I reckon around 99% of Thistle fans, and 99% of people who believe that morality should be central to sport.

There is another thread regarding this so I will copy what I put on the other one

Agreed....that is much better and credit (at the moment) to the board for taking on board the anger amongst the clubs life blood. Looks like the only way they can get this through is if 75% vote to allow NEWCO into Div 1. Would be surprised if they will get that amount of support and hopefully our club will not even consider voting yes to this

Edited by Lindau

Happy enough with that statement. I'd be happier if someone on here could confirm that the One Thistle group have both the influence to effect fans wishes and of course would be in tandem with the groundswell of opinion over this specific matter. I'm fairly confident they are but it would be nice to know for certain. They are at the moment whether they like it or not the nearest we have to a supporters association representation.

That's it in a nutshell. A simple statement, that PTFC would not vote for any newco automatically gaining access to Division 1 would satisfy I reckon around 99% of Thistle fans, and 99% of people who believe that morality should be central to sport.

If the club said that id be on the phone straight away ordering my season ticket

If the club said that id be on the phone straight away ordering my season ticket

spot on - there was a bit in yesterdays Herald sport paper about a queue for season tickets starting at Tannadice minutes after the 'No' announcement was made bu DUFC.

Edited by gianlucatoni

First reaction to agree, Jaggers, but it might be politic for the Board to say no more for a few days at least. I notice already two or three remarks in the media singling PTFC fans out as having objection to newco in Div 1.

I lifted this from a lengthy piece in the Scotsman

In terms of most SFL clubs, especially those in the First Division, the new Rangers starting at the second tier is a win-win. As such, the deal is therefore being presented as a fait accompli. Yet, the SFL are understood to require that the Rangers-inspired changes be approved at an emergency general meeting by 75 per cent of their members, which would equate to 23 of their 30 clubs. That may not be as straightforward as has been imagined. Essentially, the battleground over an Ibrox newco could be about to move on to the SFL, with supporters of Partick Thistle already having voiced a boycott threat if the latest Rangers rescue plan is activated.

It's not a case of objection to us taking the moral high ground as such more that it might be prudent to wait till fans/chairmen of other Div 1 clubs are more prominent in their disapproval of this nonsense.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Happy enough with that statement. I'd be happier if someone on here could confirm that the One Thistle group have both the influence to effect fans wishes and of course would be in tandem with the groundswell of opinion over this specific matter. I'm fairly confident they are but it would be nice to know for certain. They are at the moment whether they like it or not the nearest we have to a supporters association representation.

The recent Club statement was put out in conjunction with the onethistle team.Its role in any future decision will be to ensure the fans are given as much opportunity to make there feelings known to the Club and vica versa to allow the Board of Directors to put forward there view.onethistle will not have any say in the debate (it it occurs) either way, its role is to ensure effective communications to the fans and allow there views to be heard.

We recognise that as well as the formal Supporters organisation there is a a wide array of fans groups which we will ensure we communicate with, I read that the Chairman of St Johnstone met with a Fans Forum Group last week.Plus we also recognise that not everyone can attend public meetings due to time and distance ,we will take this fact onboard when looking at a Communications strategy if required.

The recent Club statement was put out in conjunction with the onethistle team.Its role in any future decision will be to ensure the fans are given as much opportunity to make there feelings known to the Club and vica versa to allow the Board of Directors to put forward there view.onethistle will not have any say in the debate (it it occurs) either way, its role is to ensure effective communications to the fans and allow there views to be heard.

We recognise that as well as the formal Supporters organisation there is a a wide array of fans groups which we will ensure we communicate with, I read that the Chairman of St Johnstone met with a Fans Forum Group last week.Plus we also recognise that not everyone can attend public meetings due to time and distance ,we will take this fact onboard when looking at a Communications strategy if required.

All excellent.

Their.

:innocent2:

From daily record site, link on other thread.

"

SCOTTISH football chiefs last night shook hands on a verbal agreement that will see a Rangers newco play in the First Division next season.

But the game’s rulers will face opposition from member clubs as they try to push the deal through.

The talks involving SFA chief Stewart Regan, Neil Doncaster of the SPL and SFL top dog David Longmuir are also set to spark a major revamp of our game.

Play-offs between the SPL and SFL would return and there would also be a redistribution of TV and sponsorship money.

A joint statement from all three bodies last night stated: “Further consultation will take place in the near future, with the aim of reaching a positive outcome.”

The weekend summit meeting had mainly focused on finding an avenue for Rangers to be allowed into the First Division.

Gers face a vote on July 4 to see if their newco will be granted entry into the SPL but the bid looks doomed to failure.

Longmuir will now urge his member clubs to allow Gers to drop down just one flight.

But that won’t be straightforward as several SFL clubs will oppose the move.

Falkirk chairman Martin Ritchie has already gone public with his objections and more clubs are expected to follow."

Three bodies and not a clue about fans feelings amongst them.