Do We Hate Rangers More Than We Love Thistle?

Alan Hansen

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In England, Newco would have to start again in the bottom tier of non-league football. That's what Accrington Stanley, Aldershot and (albeit in a different way) Wimbledon have done. Maidstone United just died.

It depends, if the newco can be seen as something close to a continuation then they can be placed where appropriate. Ilkeston Town FC, who were in the Conference North, were liquidated in September 2010, then in May 2011 Ilkeston FC were accepted to the Northern Premier League Division One South. That's two divisions below where they were previously, but there are a few more regional divisions below that.

Still, a I'm sure a newco in English football would only ever be admitted to a regional league.

I'm just totally pissed off with the whole thing wish they would do what ever it is they are going to do and lets get on with the football. Dont understand why so many Thistle fans are so engrossed in it all i mean we havent played Rangers for years now so it should not effect us in any way :thumbsup2:

It will have a huge effect on us if they end up in the same division as us.

As for the rest, we had a once in a lifetime chance to fix a lot that was wrong with the Scottish game and the people who are supposed to be in charge are trying to stop that. No wonder, since it's obvious they are a very large part of the problem.

Edited by Mr Bunny

What I don't understand is what appears to be a change in stance from a good few.

We all wanted the club to say NO to the proposal put in front of us. THEY DID.

Now some are saying that if it happens regardless then they still walk away!

Scottish Football needs to change, not one of us doubts that. The club, in my view, have stood against the blackmail and intimidation that it was faced with.

As far as I'm concerned we should all be backing it now and putting pressure on the likes of Regan and Doncaster to go and be replaced with men who do care about Scottish football. Not taking action against our own club that could fionish it. Had it not stood up against the current proposal I, like so many, was walking away. They did what we wanted. Why then, can't we all show support?

Have a look at the players that NEWCO are trying to sign if they get into the 2nd tier. Ian Black will sign if they get in and Craig Beattie is being lined up. Now I would imagine these guys will be on at least £4-6000 a week. How much can we or anyone else in the league afford to pay per week.. £300-£600?. Yet this is a club that has ditched multi millions in debt and are starting with a clean sheet...no debt. How in Gods name is that fair!! Sorry I hate that club and those in charge of football in this country with a vengeance. As for Thistle I wouldnt have followed them for over 50 years if I wasnt a fanatic, but every person has a breaking point and I cannot justify forking money out for a rigged competition, that my club may be party to. 13th July is gonna be a defining day for me and my family!

What I don't understand is what appears to be a change in stance from a good few.

Scottish Football needs to change, not one of us doubts that. The club, in my view, have stood against the blackmail and intimidation that it was faced with.

As far as I'm concerned we should all be backing it now and putting pressure on the likes of Regan and Doncaster to go and be replaced with men who do care about Scottish football. Not taking action against our own club that could fionish it. Had it not stood up against the current proposal I, like so many, was walking away. They did what we wanted. Why then, can't we all show support?

Lenny I am still not 100% certain about that statement......I will solely judge on the way the club votes on the 13th and if it is a no vote what happens to The Abominations after that. If the SFL get a majority no vote and they still get in to Div 1 I am finished with the game

Edited by Lindau

Not in my mind. What they did say was :-

there has been a proposal put in front of the SFL clubs that would allow Rangers direct entry into SFL1, contrary to the current league rules. On its own this proposal is clearly unacceptable, on a number of levels, and is something the Board of PTFC are not prepared to support.

My highlighted bits are what concern me.

As Lindau says above!!

Would also say there's 7 days between now & the vote.

A lot has happened in the last 7 days that we know about, even more, i'm sure, we don't know about!

I await with interest how this story will develop re SPL2.

Lenny I am still not 100% certain about that statement......I will solely judge on the way the club votes on the 13th and if it is a no vote what happens to The Abominations after that. If the SFL get a majority no vote and they still get in to Div 1 I am finished with the game

Just out of curiosity though What about though if as I am pretty sure will happen that Partick Thistle vote no? Would it not be better to boycott newco and teams that voted for them rather than a no voting Thistle mate?

Seems to me that comments everywhere are almost exclusively negative about hoping clubs go bust etc Do we really care that much about Rangers/Sevco or whatever the hell they are called?I am a Thistle supporter and I am looking forward to see if Jackie can take us where we want to go next season lets get behind the players and look forward to a promotion push.

I agree.

Just out of curiosity though What about though if as I am pretty sure will happen that Partick Thistle vote no? Would it not be better to boycott newco and teams that voted for them rather than a no voting Thistle mate?

This is not about a boycott, it's about a total feeling of "what's the ******' point of professional football in Scotland?"

If there's no game/sport/contest, whatever you want to call it, then what is there to support?

This is not about a boycott, it's about a total feeling of "what's the ******' point of professional football in Scotland?"

If there's no game/sport/contest, whatever you want to call it, then what is there to support?

Juan, it is starting to look like a boycott.

The game in this country has been gubbed for some time. It has been corrupt, it has always benefited the top table. The SPL has been a closed shop from the day it started.

I wanted my club to play no part in this recent disgrace. As long as they don't then they will get my support. I'd argue there are far more grounds to boycott the national side and all those teams who do vote for this proposal than there are to walking away from Thistle.

Jags still have to vote NO, I accept that, but I believe they will.

If the proposal changes , then I hope we get to hear what it is BEFORE next Friday and then make up our own minds if it is in the best interest of the game.

As things stand, I believe the club deserve our support.

Rangers, the Mr Creosote of Scottish football, has just eaten its last wafer thin mint. A disgusting, overindulged, abomination of a business.

:lol:

That has to be the single most apt and succinct description of Rangers I think I have ever seen! If I had a cap I would be doffing it in your direction right now, good sir. :thumbsup:

Hate is a very strong, often overused word, so personally I wouldn't say I hate Rangers at all. I cannot find it in myself to actually hate a football club. I do, however, take great offence at the way they and a significant number of their support - in conjunction with certain other organisations both in and outside the world of football - have acted as an iron lung for a particular kind of religious bigotry that in all probability would otherwise have died of its own accord a long time ago. I am deeply disappointed by the cheating and underhand adopted by those in charge of the club in order to win league titles and cups. I find the glory hunters among their support deeply irritating, as I believe our game would be in a far better place if more folk turned up to watch their local club instead of travelling by the busload to Glasgow to watch "home" games (this goes for Celtic too).

If I do hate anything, though, it is the overeagerness of the authorities in Scotland to keep all of the above going, solely for the sake of money.

The proof of the pudding will come next Thurday (or is it Friday now?) when it is time for the club to cast its vote, but I thought the statement issued by the club on Wednesday was quite a significant and encouraging step in the right direction. I was actually quite surprised by some of the gurning from some posters on here. I mean, what they were expecting to read: 'The board of directors of Partick Thistle Football Club would like to say GIRFUY, you big fat bigotted cheating ar*eholes! You can start in Division 3 where you belong, you sewer dwelling filth. Actually, you can go bust altogether for all we care and sell Ibrox Park to Tesco to pay off the debts you incurred through years and years of cheating. FTOF!'

I think I see what you mean. The problem is about supporting a lost cause, knowing that the entire competition is and always will be rigged for the benefit of one or two clubs. Let newco into Div 1 (or a specially selected list of clubs invited to form SPL2), and that shows exactly how much everything is rigged for precisely that purpose. I have no intention of supporting Thistle in particular and the organization in general that condones this by continuing to give them my hard-earned cash.

:lol:

That has to be the single most apt and succinct description of Rangers I think I have ever seen! If I had a cap I would be doffing it in your direction right now, good sir. :thumbsup:

Hate is a very strong, often overused word, so personally I wouldn't say I hate Rangers at all. I cannot find it in myself to actually hate a football club. I do, however, take great offence at the way they and a significant number of their support - in conjunction with certain other organisations both in and outside the world of football - have acted as an iron lung for a particular kind of religious bigotry that in all probability would otherwise have died of its own accord a long time ago. I am deeply disappointed by the cheating and underhand adopted by those in charge of the club in order to win league titles and cups. I find the glory hunters among their support deeply irritating, as I believe our game would be in a far better place if more folk turned up to watch their local club instead of travelling by the busload to Glasgow to watch "home" games (this goes for Celtic too).

If I do hate anything, though, it is the overeagerness of the authorities in Scotland to keep all of the above going, solely for the sake of money.

The proof of the pudding will come next Thurday (or is it Friday now?) when it is time for the club to cast its vote, but I thought the statement issued by the club on Wednesday was quite a significant and encouraging step in the right direction. I was actually quite surprised by some of the gurning from some posters on here. I mean, what they were expecting to read: 'The board of directors of Partick Thistle Football Club would like to say GIRFUY, you big fat bigotted cheating ar*eholes! You can start in Division 3 where you belong, you sewer dwelling filth. Actually, you can go bust altogether for all we care and sell Ibrox Park to Tesco to pay off the debts you incurred through years and years of cheating. FTOF!'

At least that would have been unambiguous.

On a football related question re-Sevco - presumably the Challenge Cup will have to be redrawn if Dundee go up and Sevco are admitted (total re-draw as they are in different geographical sections perhaps?). Similarly, when is the League cup draw? Presumably Sevco will be involved in the first round - the games are due to be played in 3 weeks.

On a football related question re-Sevco - presumably the Challenge Cup will have to be redrawn if Dundee go up and Sevco are admitted (total re-draw as they are in different geographical sections perhaps?). Similarly, when is the League cup draw? Presumably Sevco will be involved in the first round - the games are due to be played in 3 weeks.

With every day that goes by, you'd think this would be the most pressing problem. How can the SFL leave their clubs in so much doubt so close to the start of the season? Unbelievable. How can any club anywhere sell season tickets at the moment? Most significant part of the new Raith statement might be the last line:

Raith Rovers FC will consider its stance with regard to attendance at this meeting once we receive the information from the SFL.

Are they possibly considering not even participating in this nonsense any longer? If clubs decide just to press ahead with the season as planned and run down the clock, can anything really be imposed on them at this late stage?

I have a pathological HATE for Rangers (And the other arse cheek). I would preferably see them go the way of, Thirds, Clydebank and Gretna, Complete obliteration.

BUT I have an abnormal LOVE for Thistle. Going back to almost 100 years of family support has ingrained this into me.

So call me schizo if you want, but thats how I feel.

With every day that goes by, you'd think this would be the most pressing problem. How can the SFL leave their clubs in so much doubt so close to the start of the season? Unbelievable. How can any club anywhere sell season tickets at the moment? Most significant part of the new Raith statement might be the last line:

Are they possibly considering not even participating in this nonsense any longer? If clubs decide just to press ahead with the season as planned and run down the clock, can anything really be imposed on them at this late stage?

I believe 18 clubs require to be present. Any less and no vote can take place.

In my opinion people are discussing too many issues regarding Newco and I think that is why some people think there is an agenda at play. This is a simple one question discussion.

Question - if any Scottish club were liquidated where is the highest place in professional football where they could apply to start again?

Answer - SFL Div 3 (and to date no club has been allowed straight back in)

Anything else is special treatment and for that reason I will find my interest in football lessens.

Let's face it the football we have in Scotland is mostly shite, the atmosphere is mostly shite, football in this country has been dying on its arse for years. Money has ruled this game and driven it into the gutter and now we propose to change the rules because of the need for money?

Change is needed but you can only have it if you change the rules for Newco!

Our game is dead if that's how we choose to go forward.