Just In

Camallain

Superb display by the Jags! A 2-0 win which could easily have been six or seven such was our superiority. But for a short period of time, after a triple substitution mid way through the second half when the Jags lost their rhythm for a bit, we were in complete control. Two great goals and plenty of excellent performances with Lawless, Welsh and Bannigan the best of the bunch. Lawless in particular looks like he could be sensational this coming season :fan:

Edited by Camallain

Really encouraged by that, I thought, particularly in the first half, we were excellent.

Welsh looks the part, Elliot looks sharper, Lawless impressed with some lovely touches, but Bannigan was by far best man on pitch. Was disappointed Sinclair got injured so early, he was looking impressive. Paton worked like a demon right up until the last minute.

We have so much pace and energy in the team, I really like the shape, even with really just 1 striker, we've plenty of off the ball runners. More than enough there if we want a succesful season. I know for a fact I'll miss a few home games this year, but this performance has made me want a season ticket. I have total faith in what McNamara is trying to do, I think the players look like they are receiving a high level of coaching, and I'm really looking forward, first of all to our game with Everton/Airdrie tomorrow, but most of all, Clyde next week. If we keep that tempo and intensity, not many teams in our league will be able to stop us!

Very good today. We looked very strong before the shape of the team changed, and if we play like that regularly during the season we should do very well.

Let's get through the two cup games first before we predict grand things, but it's looking good.

Any names of note in the opposing eleven?

The highly rated Josh Thomson---who was as gash as he was last year

Andre Blackman

Twardzik

Watt---thought he was good apart from his lil hissy fit

Rasmussen---what a waste of a n oversized football jersey

Think all these guys have graced the first team on a few occasions

Really enjoyed our performance however it dipped alarmingly when we made 3 substitutions, i'll put it down to makin 3 changes at once. Impressed by Lawless and Muirhead who i thought had a shaky start but got better as game went on. Best player on the park for me was Bannigan

The highly rated Josh Thomson---who was as gash as he was last year Andre Blackman Twardzik Watt---thought he was good apart from his lil hissy fit Rasmussen---what a waste of a n oversized football jersey Think all these guys have graced the first team on a few occasions

Cannot believe for one minute that Josh Thomson is still there! What a waste of a wage.

Match report from the official Celtic web site:

Celtic XI stung by Jags at Firhill

By: Mark Henderson on 21 Jul, 2012 13:57

Firhill Stadium

Arr Craig Cup

Saturday, July 21, 2012

PARTICK THISTLE…2

(Welsh 33, Lawless 48)

CELTIC XI…0

A CELTIC XI were beaten 2-0 by Partick Thistle in the opening match of the Arr Craig Cup pre-season tournament at Firhill.

Goals in each half from Sean Welsh and Steven Lawless have the hosts the spoils, consigning a young Hoops side to Sunday's third/fourth place play-off against either Airdrie or Everton.

Stevie Frail and Danny McGrain had selected a youthful team with a smattering of first-team experience. The likes of Morten Rasmussen, Rabiu Ibrahim and Josh Thompson featured alongside many of last year's double-winning Under-19s' side.

One of the key men in that success was Tony Watt, who of course made such a memorable top-team bow towards the end of last season with a brace against Motherwell.

The young striker started on the left of a front-three and he was soon causing problems to the hosts' backline with his strength and direct running.

In the seventh minute, he created the first chance of the match for himself, cleverly spinning away from his marker and curled a shot narrowly wide of the far post.

The home side offered an instant response when former Celt, Stephen O'Donnell, reached the byline but Christie Elliot failed to make a proper connection from his cutback.

At the other end, Watt drove into the area and sent in a dangerous cross from the left. Rasmussen reached it but his flick was deflected wide.

The more experienced and streetwise Thistle side gradually began to enjoy more possession and carve out some opportunities, with Stuart Brannigan and Chris Erskine forcing Robbie Thomson into smart saves.

Just past the half-hour mark, they made the breakthrough when substitute Sean Welsh headed into the corner from Paul Paton's free-kick from the right.

The Jags had further chances to the extend their advantage but Elliot dragged a shot wide and Marcus Fraser made a last-gasp tackle to thwart Erksine.

After surviving that barrage, the Hoops mounted several attacks of their own as half-time approached. Rasmussen was unable to divert a right-wing cross on target and a rasping drive from Callum McGregor was tipped over by Scott Fox.

However, Thomson had to make another excellent stop before the break, pushing Aaron Muirhead's thunderous free-kick to safety to keep the deficit at one goal.

Celtic came out with greater purpose after the restart and a terrific piece of trickery and vision from Rabiu Ibrahim sent Patrik Twardzik through on goal but the Czech youngster fired high into the stand.

However, 60 seconds later, the Jags doubled their advantage as Steven Lawless found the corner with an accurate finish from 18 yards after Erskine's shot had been blocked.

With Jackie McNamara's side in control, the Hoops made a double change with Darnell Fisher and Paul Slane replacing Lewis Toshney and Twardzik.

Nonetheless, it was the hosts who continued to pose the greater goal threat, although McGregor forced Fox into s save and Paul Slane saw a goalbound effort blocked for the Bhoys.

In the closing minutes, Kris Doolan struk the post for the home side and Paul Paton shot over as Thistle finished strongly to progress into tomorrow's final.

CELTIC XI ( 4-3-3) Thomson; Toshney (Fisher 58) Fraser, Thompson, Blackman (Chalmers 86); Ibrahim (Atajic 70)Irvine, McGregor; P. Twardzik (Slane 58) Rasmuseen, Watt

Not Used: Daniels

PARTICK THISTLE (4-3-3) Fox; O'Donnell (Balatoni 73), Muirhead, Archibald, Sinclair (Welsh 30); Paton, Murray, Brannigan; Lawless (Craigan 62), Elliot (McGuigan 62), Erskine (Doolan 62)

Not Used: Wightman, Halsam

Fair enough report I suppose, although it doesn't really convey how absolutely horribly sh1te that Celtic team were! And Halsam is listed as unused but he played last few minutes or so.

So it wasn't necessarily all that good a display by the jags. WE were just playing a load of crap?

Fair enough report I suppose, although it doesn't really convey how absolutely horribly sh1te that Celtic team were! And Halsam is listed as unused but he played last few minutes or so.

I think it was encouraging how we were all over them and were able to grab a couple of goals though. Too often last season we dominated games and could only hang on for a draw, so getting the goals was good.

Yeh, we've all seen good pre-season displays followed by disappointing seasons but that's usually due to gently played and paced friendlies. I've only seen today's and the Alloa game but it's apparent that the fitness levels are exceptional. Another bonus is that most of the new guys are impressing.

There's very little to be despondent about. I'd be surprised if we'll suffer from lack of goals from midfield and it looks as if the defence will be OK and in any case well protected. Once again a big doubt will be whether the strikers will be clinical enough but that's always the case. Looks like Elliot will be more physical and maybe that will help up his goal rate.

Early days so I aint getting carried away but that was good. Thought we would really miss PC this year but Welsh is looking good and Bannigan was outstanding and on that display, am I the only one wondering why Motherwell freed Lawless??. Now on to tomorrow and the first trophy of the season....hopefully!!

Edited by Lindau

thought bannigan was easily MOTM,solid throughout in both cm and at lwb. lawless,welsh, muirheadn and shuggy murray played well too. liked the look of muirhead, no nonsense defending and I can see him getting a goal or two throughout the season, he drifts in at the back post quite well and isnt afraid to stick his heid in where it hurts as he did in the 2nd half. Elliott looks to have worked hard up top in the gym, last year he would just keep the head down and run like a little boy lost but he seems a bit stronger and was actually bullying bigger guys off the ball. its still early but we have got alot to look forward to this year. wee lawless looks like a find, just hope he doesn't turn out like a stevie murray type, although lawless is more a central mid player so is more likely to be involved in the play than murray who was stuck out wide. the only disappointing thing was the celtic crowd really, i know they were playing Ajax today aswell but I thought there would have been a similar crowd as there was last year. dunno why all 3 stands were open for a pre season tournament when its not open for a league game. all thistle fans were put in half the the JH, and im sure the celtic and airdrie fans could have fitted in the JH aswell and saved the money of opening 3 standsl

Really happy with that performance today. Kept the ball extremely well at times and moved it across the pitchwith some fluency upping the tempo at the right times.

Agree with others than Bannigan was MoM, not seen him play since beginning of last year but he has come on massively since then it seems. Also thought that Elliot was fantastic, looks a lot stronger than last year. Lawless looks a right handful too!

Can't wait for tomorrow now...Cos when the Jags go up to lift the Arr Craig Cup we'll be there :drink2::happy2:

Really happy with that performance today. Kept the ball extremely well at times and moved it across the pitchwith some fluency upping the tempo at the right times.

Agree with others than Bannigan was MoM, not seen him play since beginning of last year but he has come on massively since then it seems. Also thought that Elliot was fantastic, looks a lot stronger than last year. Lawless looks a right handful too!

Can't wait for tomorrow now...Cos when the Jags go up to lift the Arr Craig Cup we'll be there :drink2::happy2:

I know folk say football is all about opinions but I think that the fact everyone is saying the same thing and not having a disagreement says everything!