Just In- Airdrie- Thistle 7 (Seven)

Duke Gekantawa

What I want to know is how someone like Muirhead hasn't been spotted earlier. How was he left plying his trade at Annan in his late teens/early 20s when he looks more capable than most centre-backs in this league with 6-8 years on him?

Never ceases to amaze me how many decent young footballers slip under the radar like that, while all the press and football world's attention centres on frankly rather mediocre products of the Old Firm set-up.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is how someone like Muirhead hasn't been spotted earlier. How was he left plying his trade at Annan in his late teens/early 20s when he looks more capable than most centre-backs in this league with 6-8 years on him?

Never ceases to amaze me how many decent young footballers slip under the radar like that, while all the press and football world's attention centres on frankly rather mediocre products of the Old Firm set-up.

Amazes me as well, even more so as he's football connections within his family. I believe he was played further forward at Annan and perhaps his defensive abilities were not spotted but that's still a feeble excuse for overlooking his talent. Would be most ironic if, just like Davie Irons, shifting to central defence was the making of the lad.

Btw I suppose the other side of the coin was also evident yesterday when "goal machine" Ryan Donnelly was subbed about half way thru the 2nd half. Was he not getting touted for much greater things this time last season?

Amazes me as well, even more so as he's football connections within his family. I believe he was played further forward at Annan and perhaps his defensive abilities were not spotted but that's still a feeble excuse for overlooking his talent. Would be most ironic if, just like Davie Irons, shifting to central defence was the making of the lad.

Btw I suppose the other side of the coin was also evident yesterday when "goal machine" Ryan Donnelly was subbed about half way thru the 2nd half. Was he not getting touted for much greater things this time last season?

He was part of youth set up at Ayr before going to Annan.

That's the most I've enjoyed myself at Firhill for feckin years and years. Also, first time in the North stand since the end of season Raith Rovers game the year we won this league in 2002(?).

Every a Jag a star, and MotM could've literally been any player. Fantastic singing, and I especially pished masel laughing at the "Jimmy Savile's yer da" chant. Utterly dire turnout by this horrible club's supposed fans.

A wee tad of apprehansion in the Strathy pre-match with the non-customary presence of about 12-15 casuals. It was about half an hour before it emerged they were Thistle casuals, but we had an uncomfortable vision of section B's smelliest turning up for a social visit. Never happened though.

Back to the team: I can't remember the last time we had somebody who could finish like Chris Erskine; we were right behind the goal and both his strikes were impeccable, especially the one-on-one with Arthur. He seemed to have ages to make his mind up where he wanted to put it and made it looked like he was in fron of an empty net.

This was 17 quid's worth of fun and games, deep joy, exhilaration, post-coital magic and the sheer buzz of humping thay tramps good and proper.

We can and will hang onto our better players by performing like this on a regular basis and soaring into the SPL where we rightly belong.

Come on the Theeeeeeeeeeeeee-sel.

The fantastic thing about Thistle this season is the depth of the squad. Yesterdays 11 plus a decent bench AND Rowson, Archibald and Murray all to come back, AND McGuigan and Creagan out on loan. Jackie saying he wants to keep Craig after January.Depends on finance. Different days when Sinclair and Doolan are constantly on the bench.

Edited by Garscube Road End

Back to the team: I can't remember the last time we had somebody who could finish like Chris Erskine; we were right behind the goal and both his strikes were impeccable, especially the one-on-one with Arthur. He seemed to have ages to make his mind up where he wanted to put it and made it looked like he was in fron of an empty net.

This was 17 quid's worth of fun and games, deep joy, exhilaration, post-coital magic and the sheer buzz of humping thay tramps good and proper.

We can and will hang onto our better players by performing like this on a regular basis and soaring into the SPL where we rightly belong.

Come on the Theeeeeeeeeeeeee-sel.

I'd go along with your Erskine comment. He does it regularly. Earlier today I watched the youtube clip of the game up at Montrose, and he scored a very similar goal. He must be a nightmare to play against.

I have a feeling he might run riot against Falkirk next week.

I'd go along with your Erskine comment. He does it regularly. Earlier today I watched the youtube clip of the game up at Montrose, and he scored a very similar goal. He must be a nightmare to play against.

I have a feeling he might run riot against Falkirk next week.

On a going day and we are getting more and more of them, Chris is worth the entrance money alone

On a going day and we are getting more and more of them, Chris is worth the entrance money alone

For the last couple of season I've been hoping he would develop into the player he is right now. Even on his off days he has moments of brilliance, and when he plays like he did yesterday there are few defences in Scotland who could stop him. This guy is turning into something pretty special, so let's enjoy it while we can.

Edited by Lin1876

Pretty much agreed with everything you said until that statement, Slane hasn't been given the time to show off but for me Ross Forbes is the missing piece of the puzzle if Rowson isn't back in time. Breaks play up and a total danger from set pieces, something we haven't had since he who shall not be named since his transfer to Dundee. Personally think Shug is too slow and is unfortunately finished. I do agree with a lot of people saying Forbes is too heavy, if he drops a bit of weight I think we may have got ourselves a cracking player at still a very young age.

I dont even think Forbes looks that heavy, think future term he will be there before Murray and be happy if Jackie got him tied up on a longer deal soon

Forbes did a good job yesterday and seems to work well with Paton. Shug could be struggling to get back in the starting line-up?

I think the thing with Forbes is that his legs don't seem to be in proportion to the rest of his body. A bit like Fred Flintstone :P

Forbes did a good job yesterday and seems to work well with Paton. Shug could be struggling to get back in the starting line-up?

I think the thing with Forbes is that his legs don't seem to be in proportion to the rest of his body. A bit like Fred Flintstone :P

aye he runs sorta like he's shat himself.

Having watched from the jackie husband stand and being impressed with what i saw i took a wee wander over to the north stand for this match and wasn't disappointed. The singing brought back fond memories of times in the old shed and I'll definitely be back to join in making an atmosphere again. A big thumbs up to the one thistle guys for making the singing section happen and brightening up my match day experience. Of course it helps that we are backing mcnamara's brilliant team too.

For the last couple of season I've been hoping he would develop into the player he is right now. Even on his off days he has moments of brilliance, and when he plays like he did yesterday there are few defences in Scotland who could stop him. This guy is turning into something pretty special, so let's enjoy it while we can.

Both goals Erskine scored yesterday were excellent finishes and the result of timing his shot to perfection. Last season his biggest failing was getting flustered when he had too much time on the ball in front of goal. Ironically that too was always Sid's weakness when he played for us, yet it may well be Simon's coaching that's due credit.

Going round that Muirhead may be out for a couple weeks, possible knee and ankle ligament damage after that tackle from Sally??? Hope not!!

I was really surprised that he got up at all after that. His leg bent in a way that it is really not supposed to: horrible tackle and I feared the worst. Surprised that Jackie didn't take him off, as he looked really sore for the rest of the match.

Keep that ice pack in place and take it easy for a few days Aaron; hopefully see you at Falkirk!

Hansen till now has been the best young central defender I have seen in a Thistle jersey till Muirhead pulled on the colours.He is commanding in the air , his distribution

first class,& very confident

He would be a loss to Thistle but he is good enough for an EPL top four team.

Behave

He would be a loss to Thistle but he is good enough for an EPL top four team.

So you are saying he would walk into the Chelsea, Man City, Man U or Everton 1st team....never mind Arsenal or Tottenham. Serious reality check needed here.....he was playing for Annan Athletic less than 6 months ago!!!

I was really surprised that he got up at all after that. His leg bent in a way that it is really not supposed to: horrible tackle and I feared the worst. Surprised that Jackie didn't take him off, as he looked really sore for the rest of the match.

Keep that ice pack in place and take it easy for a few days Aaron; hopefully see you at Falkirk!

I think we'd already used our three substitutes by the time the wee ned gave up on football and just stuck the boot into Muirhead. I was surprised to see Aaron get back up, and even more surprised to see him finish the match with little obvious sign of being quite badly hurt.

Terrific player on many levels.

I think we'd already used our three substitutes by the time the wee ned gave up on football and just stuck the boot into Muirhead. I was surprised to see Aaron get back up, and even more surprised to see him finish the match with little obvious sign of being quite badly hurt.

Terrific player on many levels.

I would have thought at 6(?)-0 and with them just having their freshest pair of legs sent off, we could have afforded to take Muirhead off if required and finished the game with 10 men ourselves.

Or if Jackie deemed that disrespectful, stuck him up front, out the way.

He opted to keep him on the park and allow him to run it off. i hope that hasn't backfired.

The OS aftermatch reaction doesn't reference how bad his injury is, so i'll wait to hear the official word, instead of relying on a Rangers supporting friend of one of the Thistle squad, on PnB.