Attendances

Lenziejag2

Yeah that is definately the case. I think a survey like the roar of the crowd needs to be supplimented with a social and cultural history and a detail of the psychology of the fan as subject of football allegience. Clearly back in the day the definition of what constituted a football supporter was less exclusive than it is now, and from the point of view of a smaller team in the contemporary situation it would probably be conducive to growth if there was some return to a less exclusive notion of fan-ness.

Clearly, it would benefit clubs who wish to develop their fanbase need to go beyond market research to assess greater questions of culture, psychology and meaning in relation to football. It goes without saying that the OF have been much more successfull in that endevour than the rest of us..

Edited by mrD

Yeah definately, for instance the fact that we have pockets of support from cumbernauld, drumchapel etc speaks volumes about displacements of peoples from the locality of maryhill back in the day.

Which goes to demonstrate further that we need a much broader approach to understanding our situation than market research can possibly undercover.

If some rich thistle fan wishes to fund myself doing phd research in that area, id be more than happy to do my bit ;)

Edited by mrD

£17 on the gate for this SFL1 match against Livingston. No student concession. Meant to be a bunch of us going to this today but because of the lack of student concession and £17 admission there might be nane of us going.

I know this has been brought up time and time again but these prices must be looked at.

• Like 1

£17 on the gate for this SFL1 match against Livingston. No student concession. Meant to be a bunch of us going to this today but because of the lack of student concession and £17 admission there might be nane of us going.

I know this has been brought up time and time again but these prices must be looked at.

Have a shave and you can get in the boys gate PM ;)

It will be interesting to see if there not being any SPL games this weekend makes a difference to the crowds in the SFL. Hopefully with us getting some more attention from the media the games are good adverts - especially in this division as it is the only really competitive (at the top end) one in the country.

For the record, here are today's SFL1 attendances: Livi v PTFC - 1762; Accies v Falkirk - 1423; Raith Rovers v Airdrie - 1270; Dumbie v Dunfie - 1043; Cowden v Morton - 647. I will make absolutely no evaluation or assessment of these attendances, for fear of being censured for doing so! Other forum members may wish to comment, however!

For the record, here are today's SFL1 attendances: Livi v PTFC - 1762; Accies v Falkirk - 1423; Raith Rovers v Airdrie - 1270; Dumbie v Dunfie - 1043; Cowden v Morton - 647. I will make absolutely no evaluation or assessment of these attendances, for fear of being censured for doing so! Other forum members may wish to comment, however!

Get a grip. Have an opinion but if your going to say something is great or poor back it up.

Or better still stop this everyweek - who even cares!

Dumbarton had just over a 1000 against the Pars. Good crowd for them. Makes you wonder why the match with us next week is all ticket. I don't think the Sons have ever sold out the Bet Butler stadium.

Get a grip. Have an opinion but if your going to say something is great or poor back it up.

i like it, find it interesting and it saves me looking it up elsewhere.

oh and all those crowds are very very poor.

I'd miss this weekly round-up if it stopped. Attendances elsewhere are something I always used to check myself out of interest.

Something I will add is that Queen of the South had over 1600 for their game against Arbroath. I can't imagine Arbroath brought many down, so that would be very healthy in the 1st division.

Having said that, crowd sizes are relative. It depends on the opponent, the size of the team, its catchment area, current form and a million other factors. Okay, so today's crowds were "poor", but when none of ourselves, Dunfermline or Falkirk are playing at home, that's to be expected.

edit: it also seems a number of fans travelling to Livingston and Dumbarton were affected by Queen St Low Level being closed this afternoon at travelling time. I can't imagine it made a huge difference (though it is the main route from Glasgow to Livingston North), but certainly worth noting.

Edited by Lin1876

edit: it also seems a number of fans travelling to Livingston and Dumbarton were affected by Queen St Low Level being closed this afternoon at travelling time. I can't imagine it made a huge difference (though it is the main route from Glasgow to Livingston North), but certainly worth noting.

It was back up and running at 2pm so people could still get to Dumbarton.

There was trains to Livingston south that would have got people to the game on time, just.

Edited by little_miss_jag

lots of people are interested. Time to get off this guy's back. We have an open Forum here and everyone's comments should be expressed. otherwise who is going to edit every post?

• Like 1

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Just as bad as G SUS.

You seem to spend a lot of time on here telling people what they should and shouldn't post. I find this thread pretty interesting every week. If you don't then don't read it, pretty simple!

• Like 1

I will make absolutely no evaluation or assessment of these attendances, for fear of being censured for doing so! Other forum members may wish to comment, however!

OPINION:You've been following this closer than more, so I presume you'll have the information to hand.

QUESTION: With most teams playing half their home league games this season, how does their half season average attendance compare to their average attendance of last season? How many teams are up on crowds last season?

For the record, today's SFL1 attendances were as follows: Falkirk v Morton - 3078; Dunfermline v Airdrie - 2823; Dumbarton v PTFC - 1530; Livi v Raith - 1424; Accies v Cowden - 1021. None of these strike me as being particularly strong when there was no SPL competition. The Jags raised Dumbarton's previous best home league attendance by nearly 500, but there would still have been space for roughly another 500 before the limit was reached, so one wonders about the justification for the all-ticket set-up. A total SFL1 attendance of 9876 still spells some sort of financial meltdown in my book! Any thoughts?

All I ask for is some hard-headed realism. All of the clubs in SFL1 are - essentially - surviving on the basis of turnstile income. For those of us who have aspirations to gain promotion to better things, we must acknowledge that attendances will have to increase substantially simply to fund that better context. Unless - of course - someone knows better and can produce a millionaire Sugar Daddy!

For the record, today's SFL1 attendances were as follows: Falkirk v Morton - 3078; Dunfermline v Airdrie - 2823; Dumbarton v PTFC - 1530; Livi v Raith - 1424; Accies v Cowden - 1021. None of these strike me as being particularly strong when there was no SPL competition. The Jags raised Dumbarton's previous best home league attendance by nearly 500, but there would still have been space for roughly another 500 before the limit was reached, so one wonders about the justification for the all-ticket set-up. A total SFL1 attendance of 9876 still spells some sort of financial meltdown in my book! Any thoughts?

1,530 at Dumbarton game...??? Why was it all ticket? Capacity is over 2,000...!! I saw fans turned away cos they didn't know it was all ticket and had just turned up.