Attendances

Lenziejag2

The prime source of income for football clubs in Scotland is money taken for season tickets and at the turnstiles. That's precisely why it is important to keep tabs on attendances. If we (= PTFC) are a Club with a routine 2500-3000 attendance, that delimits our aspirations. We need to "stay real", whilst at the same time beavering away at enhancing our attendances. My guess is that we would need to double our regular gate in order to compete realistically in the SPL.

winning games improves attendances, the price of the ticket and being shite limits them. Getting the attendaces up needs to be long term thing. I think what the jags are doing with the kids is commendable, we need to get paying adults into the ground however in the short term. How about letting anyone not in work in on a concession price. I know at least a few of my mates don't go because of the price, bring in unemployed concession and they will be back.

• Like 1

OK, so PTFC suffered yet another postponed game today! Make sure you get all the re-arranged fixtures in your diary! The attendances at the other four SFL1 matches today were as follows - and they are all poor! Hamilton v Dunfermline - 1248; Livi v Dumbarton - 1170; Airdrie v Morton - 984; and Cowden v Falkirk - 566. Surely Morton v PTFC next Saturday will deliver a mega-attendance!

Really surprised at the Airdrie v Morton attendance

It's not just wishful thinking, but is there really any point in Morton getting their stadium up to scratch for a trip to the SPL when their crowds are so dismal. Sure I read that it would (only!) cost 200k to do the necessary work to Cappielow, but even when the team are winning the fans don't seem to turn up in numbers. I know today was away, but given I wouldn't be surprised if we alone took double today's attendance to Greenock next week, is there really any business sense in this? They've obviously built a team to challenge so who knows. Is their business plan built on the away support at Cappielow?

Even the radio scotland 'open-all-mikes' commentator was surprised at the poor crowd today.

OK, so PTFC suffered yet another postponed game today! Make sure you get all the re-arranged fixtures in your diary! The attendances at the other four SFL1 matches today were as follows - and they are all poor! Hamilton v Dunfermline - 1248; Livi v Dumbarton - 1170; Airdrie v Morton - 984; and Cowden v Falkirk - 566. Surely Morton v PTFC next Saturday will deliver a mega-attendance!

Falkirk supporters clearly given up on away days this season. Dunfermline supporters not far off it either. All home teams above traditionally low home supports, but still woeful away numbers for all too by looks of above, particularly those of Greenock given their league leaders.

Only downide to large Thistle support next week, is we will effectively giving them another home attendance for free, and therefore helping fill the black hole of wages they are laying out this season..

Recession and population decline will have hit some teams more than others. The cost of travel, cost of admission, food etc. obviously deters many from travelling to away games. It also might be the case that the fact that the away fans are directly contributing 100% of their admission money to the home team might also discourage some from going to away games.

So a draw at Morton after leading 2-0 was something of a disappointment! But remember the late Bill Shankly's maxim "Win at home and draw away and you will win the league"! It would be remiss of me not to mention the fabulous support at Greenock yesterday. Here are yesterday's figures: Morton v PTFC - 5647; Falkirk v Dunfie - 3680; Raith R v Dumbie - 1304; Livi v Cowden - 1112; and Airdrie v Hamilton - 755. But please also note: St M v Hibs - 4524; M'well v ICT - 4179; Ross Co v St J - 3516. Comments, please, forum members!

Calm down, it was a Tuesday night in February against a team that bring very few fans. This time last year we played Ayr United at home on a Tuesday night and attracted 1,439 bodies along. I'd imagine that there would be very little difference in away supports between those games, so imagining we've gone from c1,350 to c1,950 that's almost a 50% increase in home attendance in that time.

Taking numbers in isolation and coming to daft conclusions is easy, but it's not difficult to look at historical figures.

I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't real, just that it felt as if there were more as there was a bit of singing in the JH and a bit of buzz throughout the game. Often in the past midweek games have been really quiet. Beforehand, I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been less than travelled to Cappielow.