Attendances

Lenziejag2

I see Wigan who have an average home attendance of 19,000 have only managed to shift 20,000 tickets for their FA cup semi-final. I've always thought for big games you can expect over double your average attendance.

The FA have introduced a 6000 "neutral section", which has never been done before. Assume it will probably fill up with Millwall fans who didn't get hold of a ticket but an interesting concept as many neutrals like to go to cup semi and finals.

A bit daft introducing it for a game involving Millwall though is it not?

Could understand it being done for the league cup final with Bradford and Swansea, but I'm surprised they've decided to trial it in this game.

So you missed a 6-1 win at FIRHILL, simply because you didn't like the town where the away team came from? Even though you had a season ticket. I really hope you are at the wind up chas. Otherwise you are one of the saddest, ficklest fans I have ever come across - and that really is saying something.

In this case, the team (or rather franchise), not the town. If someone had started a team in Livingston from scratch then fair enough - however, the creation of Livingston FC set a very undesirable precedent, one which was to cost Clydebank their existence. Whether it be Livingston, Airdrie Utd or MK Dons, it's a concept I'm utterly opposed to, hence my reluctance to attend games involving these teams.

Anyway, heading out for a few before a return to watching two teams with history behind them playing in a 'proper' (if a little tired at the edges) stadium.

Livi derived from Meadowbank who derived from Ferranti. Nothing to do with Clydebank. Clydebank themselves were sort of created in the senior leagues before their then demise.

I suspect he's referring to the precedent of one club being able to take over the registration of another therefore consigning the original club to the bin.

Livi derived from Meadowbank who derived from Ferranti. Nothing to do with Clydebank. Clydebank themselves were sort of created in the senior leagues before their then demise.

Alan - see post above.

Although I suppose it could be said Clydebank almost set the precedent themselves in their (ultimately) unsuccessful attempt to kill off East Stirlingshire back in the 1960s.

Edited by Charlie Endell
  • Like 1

I see Wigan who have an average home attendance of 19,000 have only managed to shift 20,000 tickets for their FA cup semi-final. I've always thought for big games you can expect over double your average attendance.

The FA have introduced a 6000 "neutral section", which has never been done before. Assume it will probably fill up with Millwall fans who didn't get hold of a ticket but an interesting concept as many neutrals like to go to cup semi and finals.

I don't get the idea of playing semis in such a huge stadium, especially when some of the teams are so far away. This game should have been played at Villa Park

I don't get the idea of playing semis in such a huge stadium, especially when some of the teams are so far away. This game should have been played at Villa Park

The FA owns Wembley so it does not have to pay fees to clubs, e.g. Man Utd, Aston Villa, to host semi-finals. It has to pay back the loans to build Wembley and fund the huge costs of maintaining it.

Absolutely brilliant tonight! Great to see Firhill virtually full! BBC reports the crowd as 8875. That is comfortably the best SFL1 crowd this season! Fantastic Jags fans and a big Morton support as well! An attendance like that will make most of the current SPL members sit up and take notice!

• Like 1

Well, there was that chunk of the Jackie Husband Stand which had about twelve Morton fans in it ...

Were they actually in there then? It seems a bit daft if they were, because while Morton filled most of the main stand there were still seats available. I was sat down at the city end of the JHS and we were packed in like sardines!

There are a couple of photos floating around on Facebook and Twitter showing a large section of the away end of the JHS pretty empty.

Lucky if there was 500 empty seats in the JHS. It was empty but once the overspill from the JHS jags support moved to the north stand they let in around a few hundred Morton fans which pretty much filled the rest of the stand.

Main stand looked full, maybe a 100 or so extra seats, North stand packed. I am also curious to know where the other 2000 fans were going to be accommodated.

Fantastic crowd nevertheless, I cant ever remember a midweek game (outwith games against the tims and the other, now defunct, side) drawing anything close to that kind of crowd.

Absolutely brilliant tonight! Great to see Firhill virtually full! BBC reports the crowd as 8875. That is comfortably the best SFL1 crowd this season! Fantastic Jags fans and a big Morton support as well! An attendance like that will make most of the current SPL members sit up and take notice!

You must have been stiff when you saw that attendance if not dripping :music: