Attendances

Lenziejag2

One thing that always irritates me - and I witnessed the very thing passing through Greenock today - are the inevitable convoys of coaches departing for (in this case) Celtic Park (although another cheek of the former Old Firm @rse is also available in altered form). On the way home today I saw the lumpen hoard returning.

Seems a great pity - not just for Morton but also for any number of local non-sectarian teams across Scotland where such pantomimes are acted out every week.

Is the biggest Celtic supporters' club (anywhere) not in Port Glasgow? Morton have a decent catchment area - the population of the Port / Greenock / Gourock conurbation is approximately 75,000, so sub-2,000 crowds are disappointing.

Is the biggest Celtic supporters' club (anywhere) not in Port Glasgow? Morton have a decent catchment area - the population of the Port / Greenock / Gourock conurbation is approximately 75,000, so sub-2,000 crowds are disappointing.

True enough. Even if Morton are the third best supported club in the Three Burghs (not much doubt they will be) the gates they've been getting lately are abysmal.

Great day out in Dunfermline. Despite the attendance not being what expected, it did create some havoc among the Pars matchday staff. Arrived at a quarter to 3, spent 15 minutes at the kiosc before getting

my ticket, Pars ran out of programmes, match started 10 minutes late but it was proof that only Scottish fans will keep this game alive.

Ps: I' m sick of the sight of Josh Falkingham. It' s three times already that I've watched him in two years( for Arbroath & Dunfermline).

Port Glasgow has one of the biggest Sevconian supporters clubs in Europe. Greenock is home to one of the biggest Jungle Jim clubs.

For the sake of completeness, I suppose we should record that the attendance at Almondvale yesterday was 9452. It will be very interesting to see what the attendance is at Firhill on Wednesday for PTFC v Morton.

Does that mean that there were several hundred empty seats dotted around? Presumably a couple of dozen were empty to separate the two sets of fans in the south stand. But the others? Maybe tickets sold, but no-shows.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Does that mean that there were several hundred empty seats dotted around? Presumably a couple of dozen were empty to separate the two sets of fans in the south stand. But the others? Maybe tickets sold, but no-shows.

Surprising amount of empty seats dotted around. No more than 100 for segregation I'd say.

For the sake of completeness, I suppose we should record that the attendance at Almondvale yesterday was 9452. It will be very interesting to see what the attendance is at Firhill on Wednesday for PTFC v Morton.

Its a Wednesday night game, so you cant compare to Sundays game. Where I was sitting there were loads of young kids and families so I reckon, with school the next day factor,, a lot of these types wont be there. Still I reckon we will get around 6000 for the game

• Members

I think there were quite a few no shows at the end of the day. My nephew decided late on he would like to his 12 year old lad to the game, but of course it was a sell-out by then. Shame (or perhaps he was lucky), but he could easily have got in.

I also suspect that there were more folk standing behind the goal in the North Stand than there were seats for them. I seen a few of the Cumbernauld guys move there at one point during the game from the East Stand.

Don't really want to tempt the wrath of Grant but it wouldn't surprise me if a hundred or so got lost somewhere between Livi North railway station and Almondvale. Suburban orienteering in that area after a few sherries isn't to be recommended.

Talking of getting lost, was there a quick way from the bus car park? I ended up down some wooded path way trying to find Almondvale!

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw about 20 seats in the east stand sitting empty - right on the half way line at the back. Complete tragedy that these seats weren't used. There were many others dotted about as well. Macb were running competitions the day before the match. To me that's pretty poor, doesn't give people much time to make travel arrangements for a start.

After all the trouble we had on here with folk unable to get tickets, hearing that the ground was 600 under capacity is disappointing

Don't really want to tempt the wrath of Grant but it wouldn't surprise me if a hundred or so got lost somewhere between Livi North railway station and Almondvale. Suburban orienteering in that area after a few sherries isn't to be recommended.

The place is a directional nightmare. On the way there we did an unplanned tour of West Lothian (advice: don't bother booking a holiday there), and eventually found our bearings when we ended up in Linlithgow. Then on coming away from the ground, we ended up in Glasgow, so then had to do a U-turn to head back up north. And that was without any drink!

I also suspect that there were more folk standing behind the goal in the North Stand than there were seats for them. I seen a few of the Cumbernauld guys move there at one point during the game from the East Stand.

Definitely. I was stood close to where my seat was but not at it, and there were definitely more people than seats in that area. Made for a great atmosphere though!

The place is a directional nightmare. On the way there we did an unplanned tour of West Lothian (advice: don't bother booking a holiday there), and eventually found our bearings when we ended up in Linlithgow. Then on coming away from the ground, we ended up in Glasgow, so then had to do a U-turn to head back up north. And that was without any drink!

Just received this text from a journo mate -

"Just on way back from covering uefa game in Livingston. What a f****** roundabout-infested craphole. And what a mind-numbingly shite walk to the station."

It was apt there was a Weller lookalike (the guy that owned the Spurs flag) at the game on Sunday -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQJ-7i_ZwUc

I know my dislike of the place is bordering on obsessive, but it isn't undeserved - the town and its horrible franchise football club - I can't take a game against Livingston seriously, so didn't bother going to the last league game, despite having a season ticket.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Or froze to death. I passed two of Napoleons mounted horse left over from 1812 on the way back to the station and they said they'd NEVER been that cold....

• Like 1

None of the three SFL1 fixtures tonight got into four figures! Accies v Airdrie - 850; Dumbarton v Raith Rovers - 553; and Cowden v Livi - 455. Quite bluntly, these are all non-survival attendances! Fewer than 1000 at SFL1 games is a joke! Yes, it's midweek, but it's only the 9th of the month - so I won't hear of cash shortages! Yes, there was footie on the telly, but surely your local team is what matters! Just watch how the Firhill faithful turn out tomorrow evening and then compare tonight's miserable crowds!

I know my dislike of the place is bordering on obsessive, but it isn't undeserved - the town and its horrible franchise football club - I can't take a game against Livingston seriously, so didn't bother going to the last league game, despite having a season ticket.

So you missed a 6-1 win at FIRHILL, simply because you didn't like the town where the away team came from? Even though you had a season ticket. I really hope you are at the wind up chas. Otherwise you are one of the saddest, ficklest fans I have ever come across - and that really is saying something.

• Like 1

I see Wigan who have an average home attendance of 19,000 have only managed to shift 20,000 tickets for their FA cup semi-final. I've always thought for big games you can expect over double your average attendance.

The FA have introduced a 6000 "neutral section", which has never been done before. Assume it will probably fill up with Millwall fans who didn't get hold of a ticket but an interesting concept as many neutrals like to go to cup semi and finals.