Attendances

Lenziejag2

Purely for noting and report, the Premiership attendances this Saturday (24th August 2013) which are within our range were as follows: Dundee Utd v St Johnstone - 6992 - they regard this as a local derby; Motherwell v Partick Thistle - 5527 - with over 1200 Jags fans present; Killie v Hibs - 3807 - and the Sunday papers are asking whether SPFL Premiership football is sustainable on attendances at this level; and Ross County v St Mirren - 3142 - 189 fewer than for the recent Thistle visit.

Just to make that clear: at say an average of £20 a skull (£22 for adults rounded down to account for concessions etc) we just put £24 k into Motherwells bank account. A weeks wages for the first team squad and managers at Lanarkshire prices?

Just to make that clear: at say an average of £20 a skull (£22 for adults rounded down to account for concessions etc) we just put £24 k into Motherwells bank account. A weeks wages for the first team squad and managers at Lanarkshire prices?

I hate that attitude. A big away support adds to the atmosphere.

How much have Hearts and United fans put into our bank account?

• Like 4

What a negative, mean and counter-productive attitude? Do you want Scottish football to die?

All clubs, including ours, need away supporters to pay the bills. They need more money to maintain and improve the facilities at the stadia.

What a negative, mean and counter-productive attitude? Do you want Scottish football to die?

All clubs, including ours, need away supporters to pay the bills. They need more money to maintain and improve the facilities at the stadia.

Apologies to anyone who thought I was having a dig at paying to see away games. Not my intention at all. What I was trying to indicate was that people seem to find a lot of excuses not to come to Firhill, but every paying customer is putting something towards the wage bill. We should encourage (as far as possible) home AND away fans to attend!

• 2 weeks later...

Having had the privilege of being one of the 1613 Jags fans at New Love Street on Saturday (what a fantastic performance by the team!), it would be remiss of me not to record the three comparable attendances at SPFL Premiership games on 31st August 2013: St Mirren v PTFC - 5601; Motherwell v Kilmarnock - 4353; ICT v Hearts - 4034. A good thing to have had all six Premiership games taking place on the Saturday for the second week running.

Apologies to anyone who thought I was having a dig at paying to see away games. Not my intention at all. What I was trying to indicate was that people seem to find a lot of excuses not to come to Firhill, but every paying customer is putting something towards the wage bill. We should encourage (as far as possible) home AND away fans to attend!

As a life long Jags fan living in Perthshire it suited me over the last number of years to take in away games. Last year 8 away games and only 3 home. Year before that a bit less.

I made the effort this year to get a season ticket along with my 14 year old daughter. I may go to the Saints game at Perth because it is so close but the limited money I want to spend on seeing the Jags will be at home.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies! I was "up north" and out of circulation for a few days, so omitted to record the mid-week Scottish League Cup attendances, which were: Hearts v QoS - 8381; D Utd v PTFC - 3778; Falkirk v Abdn - 2838; and Livi v 'Well - 1660. Saturday's - 28th September - comparable attendances were: Killie v Celtic - 6149; M'well v Ross Cty - 4263; ICT v Hibs - 4261; and St J v PTFC - 3248. Excellent game from Osbourne on Saturday. We still need to convert supremacy - especially in the fist half-hour or so - into goals. Incidentally, road travel to Perth and back was straightforward.

I trust that Uberteeb is in a minority of one! Attendances are precisely what pays for the bread-and-butter existence of most clubs. We need to be looking regularly at comparable matches and checking on the attendances published. Tonight's match at Firhill attracted 4521 spectators - pretty good considering it was live on TV! On the other hand, the weekend attendances which bear fair comparison were: Dundee Utd v Kilmarnock - 5850; Ross County v Aberdeen - 5290; and St Johnstone v ICT - 3020 (which both the press and radio said was an unworthy attendance for a St J team which is coming into decent form). At PTFC we are clearly desperate for a big strong confident centre-forward. All the pretty football is pleasant to watch, but unless we start sticking the ball in the net regularly we will struggle as the season progresses! ICT (away), Celtic (home), and Aberdeen (away) represents a pretty stiff challenge in the coming weeks! All the more reason why we needed three points tonight!

The mind-numbing repetition of endless statistics that are more readily available elsewhere I can live with; the banality of the comments on the team's shortcomings of the team I can ignore, and the utterly pointless traffic reports from Perthshire I can skip.

But please, for the love of f u c k, please stop ending every second sentence with an exclamation mark.

I promise to be more careful with my punctuation in future. Comparability, however, and actual attendance numbers are both genuinely important. Whenever Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs (just to give four obvious examples) are playing at home, they will obviously be capable of drawing bigger crowds than the Jags, because they have bigger stadium capacities. On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable to compare PTFC with St Johnstone, St Mirren, ICT and Ross County whenever any of these teams is/are playing at home because their capacities are within the same broad range. Short of having a major investor or a "sugar daddy", clubs need the Joe Punters at the turnstile to keep turning up in tolerably good numbers just to keep up with the day-to-day bread-and-butter costs of running a football club. Hence why keeping an eye on week in/week out attendances is so important. You can be sure that the boards of the various clubs are doing just that - and it is entirely reasonable that fans should have the opportunity to do likewise. I hope this is helpful to forum readers.

But please, for the love of f u c k, please stop ending every second sentence with an exclamation mark.

Totally agree!

Anyway in the spirit of the thread I thought last night's attendance was encouraging. Looked to me about the same size of home support as at the Killie game. Given TV, fewer kids in the crowd and the antisocial timing not bad at all.

I promise to be more careful with my punctuation in future. Comparability, however, and actual attendance numbers are both genuinely important. Whenever Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs (just to give four obvious examples) are playing at home, they will obviously be capable of drawing bigger crowds than the Jags, because they have bigger stadium capacities. On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable to compare PTFC with St Johnstone, St Mirren, ICT and Ross County whenever any of these teams is/are playing at home because their capacities are within the same broad range. Short of having a major investor or a "sugar daddy", clubs need the Joe Punters at the turnstile to keep turning up in tolerably good numbers just to keep up with the day-to-day bread-and-butter costs of running a football club. Hence why keeping an eye on week in/week out attendances is so important. You can be sure that the boards of the various clubs are doing just that - and it is entirely reasonable that fans should have the opportunity to do likewise. I hope this is helpful to forum readers.

It is the exact opposite of important.

If anyone (and I really think it's only you) wants to get them thay can look in the paper or online without your serving of word salad on top.

• Like 1

I'm always interested to compare our attendances with the clubs that are perceived to be of a similar stature. Keep up the good work Lenzie Jag.

If you're not interested in attendances, don't click on the attendances thread and moan about the attendances thread in the attendances thread.

Cheers.

• Like 3