Just How Good Is This Team ?

Jaggy1967

I for one was totally gobsmacked at the quality of our play today.

The team we currently have in my opinion are the best I have witnessed in my 45 years on this earth.

I heard a number of people suggesting similar things on the walk down from the back of the JHS.

I cannot see any team touching us for the league title if we keep the players we have and the desire to win every ball even when we are taking the piss out of Dunfy !

The depth and quality in our squad is the best I can ever remember.

Even including the 2 in a row championships I feel we are at a different level.

• Like 1

aye our strength and depth is unreal, we won today without welshy,banzo, murray,craig,rowson who would, if fit /not out of the team due to suspension normally get in the team. when I seen muirhead start at right back today I thought why the feck is JM playing our player of the season out of position to accomodate Archie and moving SOD into right mid.well it was a masterstroke. Forbes and Paton were Danny Lennon and Jamie Dolan - esque in the middle, Erskine was having one of his untrackable unplayable days and Lawless, while having what I thought one of his quieter days he scored two, its almost because he's a wee guy he gets forgotten about and he is allowed to roam free and finds loads of room unmarked. the subs bench with all of the above mentioned plus Slane, Elliott and Mcguigan (dunno how he was back earlier than expected) but he still gave their defence a bit of a torrid time.

Edited by jags on tour

This is a great Thistle team to watch on any level - defensively, midfield, attacking. No one in that team is in their comfort zone, but at the same time they're all willing to try things that other teams wouldn't. Best bit of the lot? The team spirit- watch how much they enjoy scoring,and how much they work for each other. Different class.

• Like 1

Quality for sure. Depth, not so much. We have a few replacements, that are of quality, but only a few. Last week pretty much every first team player available was either playing or on the bench and that was with only two injuries.

Whats promising is we have Welsh Bannigan and Craig all out who should all be in the starting 11 depending on form (Welsh should simply be in it though!). Slane McGuigan and Elliot arent up to this level. Having doubts whether Rowson is anymore, looked terribly slow and miles away from the ball the other week. Archie's on his last legs but still decent, usually.

All in all a fully fit team is excellent with a good bench. Drop 2/3 players and we have a strong 11 but a weak bench for title challengers. Lose several players and we are walking on a thin line.

Edit to add

FYI, I do think we have a class team and I do think we'll win the league

Edited by read'n'yell

Quality for sure. Depth, not so much. We have a few replacements, that are of quality, but only a few. Last week pretty much every first team player available was either playing or on the bench and that was with only two injuries.

Whats promising is we have Welsh Bannigan and Craig all out who should all be in the starting 11 depending on form (Welsh should simply be in it though!). Slane McGuigan and Elliot arent up to this level. Having doubts whether Rowson is anymore, looked terribly slow and miles away from the ball the other week. Archie's on his last legs but still decent, usually.

All in all a fully fit team is excellent with a good bench. Drop 2/3 players and we have a strong 11 but a weak bench for title challengers. Lose several players and we are walking on a thin line.

Edit to add

FYI, I do think we have a class team and I do think we'll win the league

And after yesterday, who do you drop to let Welsh in ?

Comparisons to 71 are totally justified.

Muirhead = Hansen

Erskine = McQuade

Lawless = Lawrie

Welsh/Forbes = Rae

Paton = Glavin

Doolan = Bone

I could go on, but there are comparisons all over the park and McNamara has been the key to knitting all the component parts together.

This team, imo, is as good as, or at least has the potential to be, up there with the class of '71. I also take on board l-i-b's comparison with D McP and J McN.

What's most pleasing is that we seem to have developed a way of playing that looks structural: ie our results aren't just dependent on having a good day or the opposition having a stinker; the game plan and the skill and commitment of this crop of players is fixed at a certain level, one that, barring a horrible spate of injuries or suspensions, is going to get us over the winning line in May.

So pleasing on the eye, and so deeply satisfying watching us utterly dismember rivals with, at times, consummate simplicity.I'm enjoying gorging myself on this feast of domination.

Monni Jags.

The only bit concerning me about our team is in goals. Fox is good but Scully is a bombscare. Its almost a guarentee that jackie will try to get the boy smith in during the week but looking at his performances for dunfermline last year im not convinced hes the answer. Just hope Fox isnt out for too long...

The only bit concerning me about our team is in goals. Fox is good but Scully is a bombscare. Its almost a guarentee that jackie will try to get the boy smith in during the week but looking at his performances for dunfermline last year im not convinced hes the answer. Just hope Fox isnt out for too long...

Jackie says a minimum 6 weeks out for Foxy which is a massive blow. Scully is too young and inexperienced for a team going for the league and Smith looked awful any time I saw him on telly last season. Cant think of anyone to come on loan unless the club perhaps offer Craig Gordon the chance to prove his fitness until the end of the year on an amateur basis......yes I know its a massive long shot, but if you dont ask, you dont get!! Whats Geri Halliwell up to these days???

Edited to add.....I see Gordon has already been mentioned on the "Just in" thread....must be worth a phone call to his agent. Cant see St Johnstone allowing Tuffers to come on loan, though that would be a good move as well

Edited by Lindau

Jackie says a minimum 6 weeks out for Foxy which is a massive blow. Scully is too young and inexperienced for a team going for the league and Smith looked awful any time I saw him on telly last season. Cant think of anyone to come on loan unless the club perhaps offer Craig Gordon the chance to prove his fitness until the end of the year on an amateur basis......yes I know its a massive long shot, but if you dont ask, you dont get!! Whats Geri Halliwell up to these days???

Ha ha; that would certainly spice it up.

I almost won't allow myself to seriously compare this team to the 1970-1972 squad, but I just might have to start thinking that way.

That team went unbeaten at Firhill all season as they won the old 2nd Div, and lost only three league games all season. I would absolutely love it if this team could replicate that.

I for one was totally gobsmacked at the quality of our play today.

The team we currently have in my opinion are the best I have witnessed in my 45 years on this earth.

I heard a number of people suggesting similar things on the walk down from the back of the JHS.

I cannot see any team touching us for the league title if we keep the players we have and the desire to win every ball even when we are taking the piss out of Dunfy !

The depth and quality in our squad is the best I can ever remember.

Even including the 2 in a row championships I feel we are at a different level.

Totally agree mate.

This is the best Thistle side I've seen in my life time. Only the teams of 00/01 and 01/02 compete but this team has a swagger and mental toughness this season which is so exciting to witness.

I'm so, so proud to be a Jag right now.

And after yesterday, who do you drop to let Welsh in ?

I think Welsh is one of our best players, he can completely boss a midfield. It is no coincidence that the two games he has not featured in before Dunfermline we lost to Morton and drew with Raith.

I would drop Archie and put O'Donnell back (although great to know he can also play excellent in midfield). A defense of O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair, midfield of Forbes Paton Welsh, Doolan up front being supported by Lawless and Erskine. By far the best team in this division by a country mile.

Especially exciting is the combination of Forbes Paton and Welsh, how would any other team get a millisecond on the ball? That being overlapped by two talented full backs, never mind the damage Lawless and Erskine do. We wouldn't even need a striker on the pitch.

Edited by read'n'yell

[T]his team has a swagger and mental toughness this season which is so exciting to witness.

That confidence and willingness both to bounce back and to kill off another team are commendable changes that have come since the Ian Maxwell/Jackie McNamara rule started. (I think that IM's responsibility for the organisation often goes unacknowledged: his efforts leave JM and Simon Donnelly free to concentrate on the pure footballing side of what is, after all, a business.)

Despite some reservations about defensive cover (and there were some signs of that in the first half, especially - not just in the goal conceded), the flexibility of several utility players does give respite when facing enforced team changes. We are seeing players dropping out for one reason or another, but with others ready to step in and take their place. (E.g. Rowson, Archibald, Murray, Sinclair, Welsh, Bannigan.) Fox is just the latest in a series of these.

What impresses me about this team is that the management have developed a system (with the right kinds of players to work within it) where we are a very attacking side yet at the same time are very solid defensively. We've scored the most goals and conceded the fewest of any other team in our division.

Seen in the past plenty of teams that were great to watch but had to always score a couple to be sure of not getting beat as they'd always concede 1 or 2 a game - as well as plenty of teams that were solid but dull to watch.

We score a lot, are great to watch and we make it hard for the opposition to score.

It's easy to get carried away after yesterdays performance at Firhill but our away form in the league still needs to improve before we can consider ourselves a shooty in for the title. In 6 games at home we've scored 24 goals. In five games away we've only scored 5, less than everyone except Dumbarton! Dunfermline, Morton and Livi have all picked up more points than us on their travels. Admittedly though we've had a difficult set of away matches so far, playing the teams in 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th as well as Falkirk. Firhill though has genuinely been an absolute joy to watch, it really is a privelege to be able to walk out of my front door and ten minutes along the road to see great passing attacking football being played by the team I've been watching since I was a boy. The only difference between living on Maryhill Road and living on Las Ramblas these days is the weather and that we'd beat Celtic....................(what was that I said about getting carried away again?)

Edited by scottymagoo

That was the best game I've seen at Firhill as long as I can remember. What a great team to watch. I'm still raving about the game to anyone who'll listen.

The team oozes class, I mean when did you last see a left back do that wee thing Sinclair did in the second half? The best thing for me was that I've rolled up to see Thistle in a few big games only to feel disappointed as we've basically shat it. That team pumped Dunfermline, no two ways about it. Legends in the making I reckon.

Yesterday was the best display I've ever witnessed in 35 years supporting the Jags. The striking thing is that the Pars are likely to be our nearest challengers and we quite frankly blew them away.. In the league quite honestly I've not seen us have a bad game. Even our 3-1 defeat by morton owed more to 2 defensive abhorations, than lack of ability. Football supporters are famous for their lack of perspective, but I genuinelly feel there is more to come from this group of players. that's providing of course we don't loss the entire team come the transfer window.

Edited by stillresigned

I think Welsh is one of our best players, he can completely boss a midfield. It is no coincidence that the two games he has not featured in before Dunfermline we lost to Morton and drew with Raith.

I would drop Archie and put O'Donnell back (although great to know he can also play excellent in midfield). A defense of O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair, midfield of Forbes Paton Welsh, Doolan up front being supported by Lawless and Erskine. By far the best team in this division by a country mile.

Especially exciting is the combination of Forbes Paton and Welsh, how would any other team get a millisecond on the ball? That being overlapped by two talented full backs, never mind the damage Lawless and Erskine do. We wouldn't even need a striker on the pitch.

One of the things I love about this team is seeing O'Donnell and Sinclair running at, past, and through opposition defences. Exciting stuff. And yet I also rate Bannigan as a super prospect who can also comfortably step into midfield.