If Everyone Is Fit And Free Of Suspension....

Pie Of The Month

who would be your starting XI? For the first season in a long time there could be some difference in opinion here for a few places in the team.

I'd go Fox, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Balatoni, Muirhead, Paton, Bannigan, Welsh, Erskine, Lawless, Doolan

A few weeks ago I'd never have thought I'd have Balatoni or SInclair in the team ahead of Archie or Bannigan. Leaving Forbes out might be a bit harsh too. A nice problem to have.

thats a solid 11 when you have a bench to pick from of scully, archie,forbes,murray,rowser,slane,craigan, mcguigan craig elliott, Forbes is worth a place in the team for his set piece deliveries alone but the only reasonable change you could have would be bannigan into lwb and forbes in the midfield, that said after I've named Sincy as my MOTM today!

So far this season whenever a player has dropped out due to injury or suspension, he hasn't walked into the team. The replacement has maybe taken a game to settle in but has then made the place his own. I don't think Bannigan will displace Sinclair for a while. Murray is only back because Paton got sent off and he might struggle to get back. Welsh is class, but JM doesnt seem to change a successful team.

What a question! Had to think about this one, but I eventually came up with an ideal XI.

Fox, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Paton, Muirhead, Balatoni, Lawless, Welsh, Doolan, Forbes, Erskine.

Considering that I've left out Archie, Bannigan, Murray and Craig, you really can see how strong this squad is!

Where is Rowson in our team? Is he finished with us?

I'm not arguing either way, but would he be better looking for another club now?

he's not in the starting 11 but once he gets back to full fitness he'll be a very good replacement midfielder to come in for anyone suspended or injured. there's no chance of him being freed or loaned out this season.

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair

Paton

Forbes Welsh

Lawless______________Erskine

Craig

Subs: Scully, Archibald, Shuggie, Bannigan, Doolan

Not necessarily a slight on those on the bench. This is as much a tactical question. I'd possibly start Archibald ahead of Balatoni depending on who we were playing and the Craig/Doolan discussion operates on the same level.

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair

Paton

Forbes Welsh

Lawless______________Erskine

Craig

Above team but with Bannigan edging out Sinclair. Don't like the idea of Doolan not starting but Craig's made some impact. Playing both Forbes and Welsh in midfield is largely untried so I suppose the jury is still out on that partnership. Should be fine, tho'.

Here's some stats after 20 games this season. Based on games started, and have we went on to win loose or draw.

O'Donnell: p20 W15 D2 L3

Muirhead: p20 W15 D2 L3

Erskine: p19 W14 D2 L3

Lawless: p19 W14 D2 L3

Paton: p18 W13 D2 L3

Bannigan: p17 W13 D2 L2

Archibald: p14 W10 D1 L3

Welsh: p13 W11 D1 L1

Murray: p12 W10 D1 L1

Doolan: p10 W8 D0 L2

Sinclair: p9 W6 D1 L2

Balatoni: p8 W6 D1 L1

Forbes: p8 W5 D1 L2

Craig: p7 W5 D1 L1

Elliott: p4 W3 D1 L0

McGuigan: p1 W1 D0 L0

Craigan: p1 W1 D0 L0

I'd go for:

----------------------Doolan-----------------------

Erskine------------Welsh-------------Lawless

--------------Forbes-------Paton-----------------

Sinclair---Balatoni---Muirhead---O'Donnell

-----------------------Fox---------------------------

I think this is our first team, although Doolan has a bit to do to 'cement' his place based on recent peformances.

Fox

SOD, Muirhead, Balatoni, Bannigan

Lawless, Paton, Forbes, Welsh, Erskine

Craig

Smith, Elliott, Sinclair, Archie, Dools

Do not envy Jackie one bit when we get everyone available. I've left out a few regulars in squad and agonized over it. Strongest squad we have had in, well since i don't know when. Do not underestimate the influence some like Shuggie will be having on the training pitch.

Picking three out of Bannigan, Welsh, Paton and Forbes is a nightmare. Bizarrely I'd say Forbes is perhaps the least impressive of the four in open play, but the one the only definite undroppable one because of his set pieces.

I think most will say Bannigan to drop out but he really is an excellent player, and he's through our youth ranks. And he adds goals.

In an ideal world Sinclair, and the above four should be in the team. They'd be in any Thistle team I've supported in my lifetime but I struggle to see how you can fit all of them in, despite their form being better than the guys upfront.

In an ideal world Sinclair, and the above four should be in the team. They'd be in any Thistle team I've supported in my lifetime but I struggle to see how you can fit all of them in, despite their form being better than the guys upfront.

"League reconstruction", twenty player teams!! :crazy:

I'd agree that Lawless has had a bit of a quiet spell, the problem is with the setup we play there isn't really anyone that can fill in that role (other than Slane), I'd like to see Bannigan given a chance in there perhaps if Lawless is having a poor spell once Welsh is back. He's got the ability to go past people easily, can link up with Sinclair from left back and can contribute goals.

I'd agree that Lawless has had a bit of a quiet spell, the problem is with the setup we play there isn't really anyone that can fill in that role (other than Slane), I'd like to see Bannigan given a chance in there perhaps if Lawless is having a poor spell once Welsh is back. He's got the ability to go past people easily, can link up with Sinclair from left back and can contribute goals.

I'd agree with that. We've seen Bannigan's flexibility already and I think he could step into that role if suspensions and injuries mounted up.

I'm not saying Lawless should be dropped, but he's been quiet in games recently, especially away from home. He's playing his first season of first team football and has started pretty much every game, quiet patches are to be expected. We are lacking in cover for Erskine and Lawless though and I think that might be something that Bannigan can offer.