North Stand

Mediocre Pundit

I went to the Falkirk game on Saturday along with my wife, her uncle and her cousin. Her uncle and cousin are both St Mirren season ticket holders (her great-grandad is apparently St Mirren's record goalscorer and won the Scottish Cup with them back in the olden days...) and we'd gone to a game at St Mirren Park earlier in the season (the 5-4 game v Ross County - some match) Anyway, this was our turn to treat them to a day out in the West End and a Thistle match and I was a little worried at how it would compare.

St Mirren have a pretty decent, balanced, modern stadium (my wife commented that it was much better looking than Firhill when we were there) and, while the West End definitely wins on quality of bars (The Richmond just off Woodlands Road is excellent by the way) I wasn't sure what they'd think of our semi-dilapidated stadium. Nonetheless things were looking up when, walking up through Maryhill, they asked whether you could stand at Firhill as it was "bloody freezing". Why yes, you can, I answered - but we'll need to go to the North Stand where the singing section congregates. That was fine with them (and, surprisingly, my wife) so off we went (with me much happier not to be consigned to the Jackie Husband)

By the end of the game they were both raving about how good the atmosphere was at Firhill, how great it was to be able to stand, and how brilliant Chris Erskine's second goal was. We chatted in the pub about how the fans took the initiative for this and it's something they should raise with St Mirren as I'm sure they would be able to do something similar if the fans put the effort in.

And they never know, if this season goes well then they might even see Erskine scoring goals like that at St Mirren Park next season.

Anyways, I just wanted to (again) say a big Thank You to all at onethistle who made this move happen, and for Jackie in putting an entertaining team on the pitch. For years I've been a bit embarassed dragging people along to Thistle games - they never leave thinking they've had value for money, on or off the pitch. That all changed on Saturday.

• Like 4

Great post.

The onethistle guys have worked their balls off at every home game this season. They are behind every marketing campaign for the big games, all of which have been successful in increasing crowds.

It was their idea to move the singing section to the north stand as well.

I'm delighted that the guys are getting the recognition that they deserve, as they would never seek out praise themselves. They are happy to let their actions do the talking.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

Things really have come a long way in a year since we sat in the pub discussing how bad things had got round the ground, customer service was horrible, fans getting abused, and an area of a stand, stuck in a corner where the singing section were penned in to give folk an easy life. Firhill was a horrible place to be, folk question morton's crowd as they sit top of the league. I believe without OneThistle, we could have been in a similar place.

A lot has changed!

But one thistle isn't just about that or the move to the north stand, as Ian mentions, the marketing strategy that the likes of jim and lance come up with is also a big part. The folk in the background, writing PR shots or compiling videos in their own time. This is fans doing this, for nothing, not even seeking credit or a pat on the bum. They are doing this because they love the club.

It used to be that we as fans were just expected to turn up and buy a pie and a programme, now we have a strategy in place to create a positive marketing spin on the club, to plant the seed that firhill is still a great place to go... And once you get there, you'll want to come back.

Partick thistle isn't just about the product on the park, it's about firhill, the match day experience. That feeling when you walk up to the ground, up south drive, and look through the gates, we all do it, and every one of us gets that rush of excitement.

The same in the north stand, walking past the main doors and the club shop, giving Gerry Britton a wave, that lads always out front!!! Then waiting at the gates to get in, the queue's 10 or 15 deep sometimes, but you don't care, you're at firhill, you walk into the ground and see the JHS towering infront of you, it's looking busy today! Good travelling support, right lets get a sing song, we're the home team, lets silence them, get ontop of their keeper, wind up their subs. Fortress firhill!

I remember last season, me Ian and jim had put the word about the shed we were thinking about moving, we sat down the front, looked over at the north stand, counted a couple of rows across and down and thought, oh Christ this could really look daft! We were aiming for 50 to 100 max to deem it a success, if we got the JHS shed to move, that would be enough.

When you stand there now, and folk are leaving the pub early to make sure they get their usual spot as its so busy, I'm over the moon.

Thanks for the post MP, it's great that other clubs fans have enjoyed it, ironically my local team, I've been to NSP and its in dire need of atmosphere. I met with a lad in the bull inn a few weeks ago and took him through what one thistle have done, from match day liaison with stewards, singing section, catering, toilets, match day marketing etc and he's written to Stewart Gilmour asking to meet him telling him he wants to take our model and do a similar thing at their ground.

When you look at the credit one thistle is getting via the SFA and their fans charter, it's another reason to be proud to be a jag.

One thistle isn't a group of folk hiding away getting stuff done, it's everyone who attends firhill, everyone who sings on a Saturday, or questions why their pie is cold. because its not just one thistle, it's our thistle!

http://ptfc.co.uk/ne...13/fans_charter

One thistle case study

http://www.fanscharter.com/

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

Great posts !!!

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy the North Stand for not only the tremedous atmosphere but also the great view high up which is the best viewing point in my opinion, and of course its a big thanks to Jackie and the lads for giving us such entertaining football, I know that we are by far the best attacking team in the league and dont desrve to be trailing at this time , however I'm confident that as soon as we have caught up with our games in hand then we will be back on top, and then the North stand will be an even more raucous and exciting place to be on a Saturday afternoon, at the only place in Glasgow for thrills galore , lets hear it for the Jags and a big thanks to all involved with the creation of Onethistle.

Yeah...one reason I went to less games was the atmosphere free nature of the Jackie Husband stand.

Love the North Stand.

My only gripe- why is it over 16's only. I took my daughter and we couldn't get in the North.

It was the police that specified that it was to be over 16s, that was one of their conditions. Had we not agreed to this, they wouldn't have let it happen, simple as that.

But to be honest, it seems to be working really well. I realise that there will be others like yourself who would like to be able to take their kids in there but there's no pleasing everyone unfortunately.

Best thing to happen at Firhill for years!

Me & my Dad have enjoyed it - not just for the singing (we're not really singers), but for the general atmosphere! I think the people who go to the NS are enthusiastic Jags fans and it's not nearly as negative as the JH can often be.

Combined with the often excellent football and it's already been a great season - we didn't expect to win the league and if we don't, does it matter? If we do, great! It's been the most fun for many a year!

Well done to everyone involved - you've done us proud!

• Like 1

Big Lemon, i can understand where you're coming from, but he problem is though, thats what we had in the JHS, an area open to all, trying to be everything for everyone and it didn't work.

scottish football has changed so much in my lifetime alone that what some folk may deem as acceptable for their kids to hear and be around, others don't. and in this day and age, to have the best of all worlds, you need to create specific areas which have different ways of working.

If you look at the fans charter work James Proctor at the SFA has done, he actually found that area's separated for different age groups, families etc was something that came back in his feedback questionaires as something fans wanted.... the majority of scottish fans wanted an area you could take your kids, but they also wanted an area that wouldn't be policed with kids in mind.

Luckily the North Stand and kids zones give us that option.

All i would say is, that i sat in the JHS a month or so ago, infront of the press box and the atmosphere was crackin, the lads up the back were getting a right few songs started that were not a direct result of the north stand.

I can understand the police stance on this.... we want an area you can stand, we want an area where you can get carried away in the moment, where language might become a bit over the top. the police will look at that and think.... ok if we allow that to happen, what is the worst case scenario....

1. kids are open to abusive language (ok we don't allow under 16s)

2, folk standing can lead to a rush down the stairs, fans getting carried away in a goal celebration.... can you imagibe a couple of weans walking up the stairs, or up the back row of the north stand this season, all it would take would be for a wee wean to loose their balance in the bouncing about and god forbid they hurt themselves.... thats it game over.... back to the JHS.

at least this way the kids, first and foremost are protected from injury, the club are protected from bad PR from an accident happenning in a seated area, and the north stand spectators are protected from loosinf their new home.

its just one of these things that we need to have a little bit of give on.... doing so means we get 10 times as much back.

hope this helps.

Yep it's all going well. I was thinking about taking my neice and nephew along soon although I think the Kids zone is too close to the Away fans and North Stand. Think it would be better if it was further along to the City end. Takes them out of ear shot and also more space so they can run around and have a bit of a wander when they get bored. You could have that properly sectioned off, just with tape, and then have more interaction with Jaggy MacB, designated Kids Zone stewards etc.

I had a very similar experience to mediocre pundit just before Christmas.

I met up with a few pals from Paisley who were in town for their Christmas day out and a trip to Firhill was on the agenda. We took in the raith rovers game and I was in two minds whether to take them for the North Stand experience as I've been a regular there this season. I had no regrets once we got in. The atmosphere was great, we stood for the duration and it was all capped off with a Thistle victory. The Paisley boys all loved it, the standing, the singing, the banter and they were interested to see if such a move would or could happen at NSMP. They said it brought back memories of the old North Bank at Love Street.

I think the one thistle boys have come up with a cracking idea here, the best part of going to the game for me was always the atmosphere and we've managed to bring that back.

Agree with all the positive comments, it's made a real difference even if I don't go in it every week myself.

Only one slightly peculiar thing is why we don't choose to shoot into that end 2nd half? Maybe for reasons of superstition (up til the Morton game) or low sun (on Saturday) but generally when teams have an "end" they shoot towards it second half.

• Like 1

Agree with all the positive comments, it's made a real difference even if I don't go in it every week myself.

Only one slightly peculiar thing is why we don't choose to shoot into that end 2nd half? Maybe for reasons of superstition (up til the Morton game) or low sun (on Saturday) but generally when teams have an "end" they shoot towards it second half.

maybe we didn't win toss of coin they days.im sure Archie wld chose to shoot into that end if he wins toss every week.

maybe we didn't win toss of coin they days.im sure Archie wld chose to shoot into that end if he wins toss every week.

We've shot the same way in the first half for as long as I've been going (and I'm sure it goes back further). If anyone is that adamant we should do this then get in touch with the club.

To shoot into the North Stand in the second half would mean that in the first half Fox would be defending the North End.

Do folk therefore want the team to warm up at the north end before the game from now on.... or continue to warm up at the south end, and when the coin toss is won, both teams change ends every week before kick off?

if we do see a change to what end we warm up at before each game.... does that mean folk want the subs to warm up at opposite ends aswell? one of the advantages we have seen this season has been the ability to wind up the away subs every week (see airdrie and their sub taking abuse for 60mins to get sent off 5 mins after entering the park).

When we do eventually build a stand (seated or preferably, safe terracing) at the city end I presume the NS would resume its role as the away end?

who knows, i doubt i will ever happen, no financial benefit for us to built another empty stand and now the minimum requirement for SPL games has been reduced we don't need another stand.